Sydney - Qatar Airlines Sponsor

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie often keeps his mouth shut when talking turkey.

Terror can be Eddie Mcguire's strange bedfellow on MMM.

Not sure why, he speaks out about everything else.

there's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism, mate.

What's your objection to the deal?

Let's hope he hasn't consumed any Nestle products recently.

I have seen nothing linking Qatar Airways to human rights abuses or denial of gay rights, if that was the case people would have legitimate grounds for concern. If the only criteria for criticism is that it is backed by a national government that undertakes systematic oppression on its own people - well, I have bad news for Melbourne supporters about China Southern...

Let's hope he hasn't consumed any Nestle products recently.

I have seen nothing linking Qatar Airways to human rights abuses or denial of gay rights, if that was the case people would have legitimate grounds for concern. If the only criteria for criticism is that it is backed by a national government that undertakes systematic oppression on its own people - well, I have bad news for Melbourne supporters about China Southern...

It is that the Pride Game stands in opposition to the countries view and subsequent laws. Perhaps Qatar Airways is allowed a different view, not sure, but it is an interesting discussion as we involve ourselves more in being a societal standard through the different associated rounds and causes clubs and the AFL itself takes up.

Similar to how a drunk driving player can potentially lose a TAC sponsorship.

It is that the Pride Game stands in opposition to the countries view and subsequent laws. Perhaps Qatar Airways is allowed a different view, not sure, but it is an interesting discussion as we involve ourselves more in being a societal standard through the different associated rounds and causes clubs and the AFL itself takes up.

I don't think it's just Sydney that promotes LGBTI values in the AFL.

I can sort of see the premise of the argument, honestly, but in my view it's an exercise in mental gymnastics and in any event money trumps everything.

If you really wanted to, you could disparage every sponsor for dubious corporate practices. A North supporter decided to lay the boots in, perhaps unaware that Mazda made weapons in WWII to kill Australian soldiers. Things like that.

I don't think it's just Sydney that promotes LGBTI values in the AFL.

I can sort of see the premise of the argument, honestly, but in my view it's an exercise in mental gymnastics and in any event money trumps everything.

If you really wanted to, you could disparage every sponsor for dubious corporate practices. A North supporter decided to lay the boots in, perhaps unaware that Mazda made weapons in WWII to kill Australian soldiers. Things like that.

As someone said before companies will have skeletons, but a country developing systematic laws is very different. If Kia said it would not sell to aboriginals then imagine having their name in the Dreamtime jumper. That is the questioni raised, when does the cause being fought for or raised begin to dictate the relationship the clubs have.

But if money trumps everuth Ng it becomes a moot point.

As someone said before companies will have skeletons, but a country developing systematic laws is very different. If Kia said it would not sell to aboriginals then imagine having their name in the Dreamtime jumper. That is the questioni raised, when does the cause being fought for or raised begin to dictate the relationship the clubs have.

But if money trumps everuth Ng it becomes a moot point.

Yeah, but Kia hasn't said that and Qatar Airways hasn't said anything about gay people. Qantas isn't the mouthpiece for the Australian government and Qatar Airways isn't for theirs.

At the moment people are just using this thread to unreasonably bag out Sydney. I can understand the COLA bashing and academy harvesting but this is a massive stretch.

I am sure the Qatar sponsors will have no problem painting a jet up to celebrate LGBT round. Will look good flying over the SCG in the pre match.
For a number of reasons that would be quite amusing to witness - but if I were a betting man I would almost bet the ranch that no Qatar Air plane would be permitted to wear any gay/lgbt paint job. It would be illegal under Qatari law. And I can visualize the, uh, warm reception it would get as it taxied up to the gate at Hamad International, Doha...

VW. Qatari Airlines. Only the best, bond-supervillain corporations will do!

Just wait til you see our 2017 Book:

Weyland-Utani Corporation.
Umbrella Corporation.
Omni Consumer Products (OCP)
Tyrell Corporation
Engulf & Devour
Cyberdyne Systems

Might leave The Trump Organization for Collingwood, though. Have to leave some scraps for Eddie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP has a point. We've seen Sydney and other clubs push political and social agendas. They're pushing one right now by being involved in the Pride match. So it is hypocritical to willingly take the money and promote an enterprise owned by a government which actively discriminates against the very lifestyle Pride promotes.
In the end all they really care about is the moola. Sydney fans that actually think their club is progressive should realise the only progress they're after is getting richer and fatter, dining on the gullibility of their chardonnay swilling footballing noob fans.
that said...egypt airlines could sponsor us - same colours and all, c'mon fellas?

OP has a point. We've seen Sydney and other clubs push political and social agendas. They're pushing one right now by being involved in the Pride match. So it is hypocritical to willingly take the money and promote an enterprise owned by a government which actively discriminates against the very lifestyle Pride promotes.
In the end all they really care about is the moola. Sydney fans that actually think their club is progressive should realise the only progress they're after is getting richer and fatter, dining on the gullibility of their chardonnay swilling footballing noob fans.
that said...egypt airlines could sponsor us - same colours and all, c'mon fellas?

I have an Australian passport, does that mean emphatically support everything the Australian government does?

St.Kilda are about as relevant to modern day football as the pyramids are btw.

So congratulations to Sydney for their new sponsor, Qatar Airways.

One thing, if you play in the Pride Game, is Qatar the best nation to be associated with? It is a strange choice considering the basis for the game is respect for LGBTQ and you have just signed a 3 years deal with an airline representing a country where it illegal. Anyone else see this as a bit of a contradiction?
if thats the case then why does qatar fly to nations that support same sex relationships or even allow same sex couples to fly on their flights? o_O

in all seriousness congrats on sydney for getting a very lucrative sponsorship. decent airline too

Oh please who cares! It's business, we have a $3.5 million dollar a year contract with a world leading airline. Good business. A pride match match no difference, it will still be there next year and the message will still be the same. Move on!

So lets take this scenario. Next Pride Game, Sydney offer a set prize to a lucky couple for a trip to Qatar on Qatar Airways. A gay couple win, travel to the country, get arrested for a public display of affection. If it was a normal AFL game, no worries. But because it was a Pride game, it would be a great idea to have a gay couple win. However, you are sending them to a place that does not accept gay behaviour.

You telling me you cannot see that there is a chance that this may be an issue?

Lol.

Oh, you were serious?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Qatar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

There are either going to be countries in the world where freedom of speech, womens rights, freedom of religion and human rights are upheld or countries where it isn't allowed. The gulf between the two is going to widen.

As in most Middle East countries it is not upheld in Qatar despite the window dressing of them "allowing" other religions and "allowing" women to drive. Do they allow conversion for example of a muslim to a hindu? or a muslim to a Buddhist? or a muslim to a Christian? the answer is no. Do they allow a free press?

Anyone who travels on this airline is indirectly helping people who despise women, and despise people who believe in freedom.

Last edited:

They held the pride game at Etihad.

Qatar Air have zero interest in spreading a particular view about homosexuality. They aren't about to enforce Qatari values on the Swans (or Barca, or their passengers, or whomever).

It's owned by people with some unpleasant to horrific views and records, yes. So are half the world's major companies. It's all connected and virtually no one & nothing is pure.

But Qatar Airlines makes its money flying people around, a relatively ethically neutral business (aside from the environmental concerns).

I'm much more uncomfortable about our partnership with The Star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney - Qatar Airlines Sponsor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back