Sydney Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe Sydney fans are defending this, especially in view of how they use the extra money. If it were passed on to each player, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but the truthg is Sydney use it to entice players away from other clubs.

Now, I don't blame Sydney for this. If the AFL are stupid enough to give them the money, then Sydney can use it as they see fit. However, if the AFL want to pay extra to players because they live in Sydney, then they should make those payments direct to each player, not include it in Sydney's salary cap. That way, the money would be utilised for the reasons it is allocated.

Can Adelaide draft from the SANFL? WC the WAFL? Vic clubs the VFL? we get the NEAFL, not one player invited to the draft combine from NSW this year, figure it out
What are you on about? We all draft from the same leagues. You've done well out of SA, Grundy, Smith. WA, Jetta. And from one of your earlier posts, who was the last player "hidden" from interstate rivals?

Can Adelaide draft from the SANFL? WC the WAFL? Vic clubs the VFL? we get the NEAFL, not one player invited to the draft combine from NSW this year, figure it out

geelong and sydney can both draft from the SANFL, WAFL, VFL... duncan, mackie, stokes, menzel, enright are from the SANFL and WAFL.

unless im missing something simple...

Maybe im just having a bad day, as I still don't see your point. Both Sydney teams can draft players out of the sanfl, the vfl or wherever, same as we can draft from wafl.

I'm sure im missing your point as this is far to basic

Ha? We didn't sign any players in 2011 that were AA before or after.

Apologies it seems my question was unclear - let me clarify for the pedantic. You said AA signings were rare - those Swans players that made AA in the 2012 SEASON. What percentage were drafted? I originally thought it would be high - but given your attempts to dodge the question I am beginning to think maybe the percentage is low and maybe your original point was a bit off but that is maybe just my sceptical nature.

How would you suggest the AFL equalises out the 100 year gap in junior development. How well would your club hold up if 95% of teh list came from interstate and you couldn't hide players from the draft etc
Oh, here I was thinking it was for a cost of living allowance not "a we need to over pay players to get them to come to Sydney" (even though you're had no issues going that recently). And Brisbane gets no cap because?

Who actually goes players from the draft? That is just a stupid comment. There is a difference between having heaps of recruiters in your own area and being able to notice more players. However, it is hardly like any club is sending players to the country leagues so nobody else can find them. There is nothing stopping Sydney from having heaps of recruiters in other states.

It's not rocket science.

This century.

Total years played by teams with a full 9.8 % col: 16

Total years played by teams with an actual hard salary cap: 195

Finals played by col teams 15/16 or 94%

Finals played by salary capped sides 81/195 or 41%

Flags won by col sides 5/16 or 32%

Flags won by salary capped teams 7/195 or 3.5%

The extra $862 k this century makes those sides 2.29 times more likely play finals and an astounding 9.2 times more likely to win flag.

Yet somehow this makes things fairer.

It's not rocket science.

This century.

Years player played by teams with an actual hard salary cap: 195

The extra $862 k this century makes those sides 2.29 times more likely play finals and an astounding 9.2 times more likely to win flag.

Our salary cap had nothing to do with Buddies flawed kicking in the GF.

Now that is unfair having to put up with that kicking technique as a Hawk supporter!

Our salary cap had nothing to do with Buddies flawed kicking in the GF.

Now that is unfair having to put up with that kicking technique as a Hawk supporter!

How do you know what difference $862k per year worth of players would have made to our seasons result ?

The Maths suggests it would have made us 9.21 times more likely to win the flag.

Why didn't we have such long arse threads about our salary cap before WE WON THE P''SHIP?

Sorry to interrupt.........................please continue?

Because BEFORE the grand final the swans hadn't flagged their intention to offer Tippett a tidy package to come across and play for them. Contrary to what you want to believe, it is Tippett that started the whole Salary Cap stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not rocket science.

This century.

Total years played by teams with an actual hard salary cap: 195

all those figures prove is that you can make statistics mean anything...

there have not been 195 flags on offer this century. your 3.5%, while accurate mathematically, is wildly inaccurate in reality.

plus side, you have a great future in politics.

flags won this century by 'COL' sides, as you call them - 41.5%; 'non-COL' sides - 58.5%.

so unfair :rolleyes:

Because BEFORE the grand final the swans hadn't flagged their intention to offer Tippett a tidy package to come across and play for them. Contrary to what you want to believe, it is Tippett that started the whole Salary Cap stuff.
I think the premiership is a fair factor too. Who would care about the Tippet offer if they were bottom of the table?

Oh, here I was thinking it was for a cost of living allowance not "a we need to over pay players to get them to come to Sydney" (even though you're had no issues going that recently). And Brisbane gets no cap because?

Who actually goes players from the draft? That is just a stupid comment. There is a difference between having heaps of recruiters in your own area and being able to notice more players. However, it is hardly like any club is sending players to the country leagues so nobody else can find them. There is nothing stopping Sydney from having heaps of recruiters in other states.
It's part of the equalisation and everyone knows it. You can play on wording and use ridiculous math like that other goose, but at the end of teh day, Buddy still can't kick straight

all those figures prove is that you can make statistics mean anything...

there have not been 195 flags on offer this century. your 3.5%, while accurate mathematically, is wildly inaccurate in reality.

plus side, you have a great future in politics.

flags won this century by 'COL' sides, as you call them - 41.5%; 'non-COL' sides - 58.5%.

so unfair :rolleyes:

Given that there (were) only 2 COL sides and now only one, you could argue that 41.5% of flags this century is a very high percentage (as stasitically would expect it to be more around 12.5% i.e 2/16) - but this ignores that we have selected a period of significant success for these COL sides and a comparison would be fairer if it was extended outward to include the 90s (whenever the COL allowance was introduced)

I think the premiership is a fair factor too. Who would care about the Tippet offer if they were bottom of the table?

Oh no doubt, but this type of thread would have been a given if any of the top four teams had gone after him, it's just unfortunate that it happens in this case to be Sydney. Personally I think the pies and hawks would warrant closer inspection than the swans and if ridiculous figures hadnt been bandied about it would never have been an issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back