Autopsy Sydney Swans beat Dogs 88 - 42

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else get a bit more appreciation for what Tom Boyd brings us as a ruck and a target last night after watching English and the corpse of Jordan Roughead get towelled up by a sub-par Sydney crew last night?
Roughead going back when Adams went down didn't help.

Agree with much of that but not the Picken stuff.
He's been one of our most physical and courageous players over the journey. I'd like to know what's the real problem with him before suggesting he's "playing safe". I agree his form has dropped since he was KO'd but that doesn't automatically mean that's what caused the form drop.
Bev in his presser mentioned "several issues", wonder what they are. Not just the ones we can see but are there others?

We would have won but for the umpiring last night

Did you see the free kick count?

22 v 13 - almost half

My god how can they do that again.
As soon as they paid those 2 "frees" against Bont, I knew what was in store. The old evener-upper.

Think my thoughts on the game are pretty in line with everyone elses, but;

- English was a deer caught in the headlights. His poor performance is mainly mental, he doesn't think he's ready and played that way.

- Moyd is done. There was a contest in the first quarter where he ran back with the flight, flew for the ball, and missed the contest by 5 metres. With his possession needs a tonne of time and space to be useful and he can no longer create that for himself.

- Our ball movement was painfully slow at times, because we kept using the short option. Cloke well and truly stunk it up but I'd hate being a key forward when that is happening higher up the ground. The number of times Buddy and co had one outs in the forward line vs when we did was staggering.

- Last night was a massive step backwards for Lin Jong and one I didn't think he would take. The number of times he was caught man watching on the offensive side of the contest was embarrassing. Doesn't play next week for mine.

Oh and 1 more thing;

- I think Beveridge loves players who take the game on and take risks, but we are picking the wrong options at times. There were plenty of others, but the 2 I remember at the moment are;

* Suckling's switch in the 2nd quarter. He was asking himself to hit a 60m kick to the other back flank (low percentage), when he had Adams on his own behind the play to execute the same option at a higher percentage. Turnover results, Adams is caught out, and Buddy gets a shot on goal.

* Caleb's 15 metre dink in the 3rd quarter under huge pressure. Had to go long towards the boundary at that moment. All hitting that kick would have achieved was slowing the game down, as most of our numbers had pushed back. Probably would have been a turnover anyway, but would much rather that be on the wing rather than within Buddy's scoring range.

Think my thoughts on the game are pretty in line with everyone elses, but;

- Moyd is done. There was a contest in the first quarter where he ran back with the flight, flew for the ball, and missed the contest by 5 metres. With his possession needs a tonne of time and space to be useful and he can no longer create that for himself.
At least he showed he cared and was prepared to actually run back with the flight. You could name quite a few other players who did not give shit and running back with the flight was too hard for them.

Last season a key reason for the flag was the veterans were outstanding

This season boyd is sadly past it. Moz is injured. Picken is a shadow of himself. Murph is going ok

Last season a key reason for the flag was the veterans were outstanding

This season boyd is sadly past it. Moz is injured. Picken is a shadow of himself. Murph is going ok
We all thought there would be a mini transition period where this happened, but we didn't think it would be this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never heard of 'lisfranc' - thought it might have been a misspelling of some French chic's name so I googled it:
"Lisfranc (Midfoot) Injury
Lisfranc (midfoot) injuries result if bones in the midfoot are broken or ligaments that support the midfoot are torn. The severity of the injury can vary from simple to complex, involving many joints and bones in the midfoot.
A Lisfranc injury is often mistaken for a simple sprain, especially if the injury is a result of a straightforward twist and fall. However, injury to the Lisfranc joint is not a simple sprain that should be simply "walked off." It is a severe injury that may take many months to heal and may require surgery to treat."

That last sentence scares the bejesus out of me.

It has already been mentioned but lisfranc injuries can be career ending. It was interesting to hear that the injury to Adams last night was not the same foot as last year. It may suggest an existing weakness, or pure bad luck. Either way, Marcus has developed into a very valuable member of our team and will be sorely missed.

I cant believe how valuable Tom Boyd has become to our team - he may not get big stats yet (he did get 20 plus with a couple of crucial goals against Geelong though), but his presence at stoppages cannot be replaced to the point that I think he has gone past Jordan as preferred ruck. He doesn't get big tap stats (totally useless stat), but neither does Rough. Sometimes you don't know what you have until it is missing.

Oh and 1 more thing;

- I think Beveridge loves players who take the game on and take risks, but we are picking the wrong options at times. There were plenty of others, but the 2 I remember at the moment are;

* Suckling's switch in the 2nd quarter. He was asking himself to hit a 60m kick to the other back flank (low percentage), when he had Adams on his own behind the play to execute the same option at a higher percentage. Turnover results, Adams is caught out, and Buddy gets a shot on goal.

* Caleb's 15 metre dink in the 3rd quarter under huge pressure. Had to go long towards the boundary at that moment. All hitting that kick would have achieved was slowing the game down, as most of our numbers had pushed back. Probably would have been a turnover anyway, but would much rather that be on the wing rather than within Buddy's scoring range.

We need to ban the dinky kicks. Macrae and Suckling do it as well and not sure who instructs them to do it deep in the backline. Never works.

But it's the desire that's lacking. A real worry
I don't disagree with that, but I still think that we are good enough to make finals given our remaining games. But they need to work a number of things out and if they bring the effort they did in this game for the remainder of the season then you will be right. But I still have faith that they will improve in that area.

I came away from last nights' game with a disappointment I haven't felt for a long time. We were beaten up and humiliated.

When Sydney players repeatedly targeted JJ with physical pressure, nobody went to help him out....nobody. Nobody!

Our players were pushed around and disrespected at stoppage after stoppage, contest after contest. We were physically intimidated and were as weak as piss. Where were the senior and stronger players to try to square up and disrupt the Sydney intimidation???

Easton Wood showed a bit of fight and mongrel, but where were Picken, Boyd, Cloke, Suckling, Stringer, Roberts, Roughead??? The two guys you just know wouldn't put up with the crap that JJ copped were Libba and Cordy...but they weren't in the team.

Something is seriously wrong with our mojo. We are not playing for each other. Our game plan has changed to something quite unrecognisable. I'm not one to do a Chicken Little and cry that the sky is falling (in fact I get a bit of flack for being too laid back) but let me tell you something...the farking sky is falling.

Fix it Bevo and fix it in a hurry, or this will be a completely wasted year. We've gone backwards and don't deserve to play finals at the moment.

I came away from last nights' game with a disappointment I haven't felt for a long time. We were beaten up and humiliated.

When Sydney players repeatedly targeted JJ with physical pressure, nobody went to help him out....nobody. Nobody!

Our players were pushed around and disrespected at stoppage after stoppage, contest after contest. We were physically intimidated and were as weak as piss. Where were the senior and stronger players to try to square up and disrupt the Sydney intimidation???

Easton Wood showed a bit of fight and mongrel, but where were Picken, Boyd, Cloke, Suckling, Stringer, Roberts, Roughead??? The two guys you just know wouldn't put up with the crap that JJ copped were Libba and Cordy...but they weren't in the team.

Something is seriously wrong with our mojo. We are not playing for each other. Our game plan has changed to something quite unrecognisable. I'm not one to do a Chicken Little and cry that the sky is falling (in fact I get a bit of flack for being too laid back) but let me tell you something...the farking sky is falling.

Fix it Bevo and fix it in a hurry, or this will be a completely wasted year. We've gone backwards and don't deserve to play finals at the moment.

That stood out for me too, pretty disappointing. Though for example Bont came in to stand up for English, there wasn't enough of it. Even JJ didn't retaliate when he was being targetted :huh: Not to mention the umps not bothering about it

Embarassing. Just the lack of effort is embarassing. A lot of players need to have a long look at themselves. I honestly can't think of one player who can hold their head high besides the guy that went off injured at half time.

Dahlhaus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dahlhaus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Been pointed out to me already, but yes that's right.

Either way, that's 2 out of 22. And nowhere near good enough.

The whole flying the flag thing is interesting, because I think Bevo has very deliberately eliminated most of that element from our game.

How often do we really 'fly the flag'? How often do we have guys get suspended, or even give away 50 meter penalties? Or reverse free kicks because they've defended a teammate?

Bevo strikes me as very 'let your game do the talking and buy in to the fighting crap, don't give away free kicks'.

Caleb Daniel gets punched in the face by Greene. Libba runs over...and doesn't really do anything. We all know Libba would LIKE to do something, but he didn't. I'm going to guess they've had that stuff coached out of them.

When North targeted the Bont for the first time, we didn't retaliate- Bont just humiliated a few of their players. Let his game do the talking. That's what Bevo would probably want from his players.

Which is good and all, but last night was more physical than anyone had ever really gotten. Hell the Cats kind of beat us up too with their tackles. I get the perspective of not participating in that crap, and focusing entirely on the game, but I think a line had to be drawn last night. Someone had to stick up for JJ, or even just the team in general, and only Wood was really prepared to do so. I think Bevo needs to accept that sometimes you need to show that you can't just get pushed around. Letting your game do the talking when you're winning is great (ie North), but when you're getting smacked (ie last night)...at least show a little fight in some capacity.

I think the players aren't seeing the game in an intuitive way because of the style of play that is being asked of them. They look hesitant, way, way too many handballs that corral us into turnovers, and too heavily focused on tackling rather than getting their hands on the ball. There doesn't seem to be a 'plan b' when handballs and tackling aren't reaping results. I remember commentary after the Grand Final win talking about how, perhaps, the Doggies had revolutionised the game with their use of the handball, it looks like that narrative has gone to the coaching staff's heads and they are in the middle of 'believing their own hype'.

Only 20,000 there last night shows how little true support the swans have. If they were to miss the finals for a couple of years the crowds would be back to the early 90's levels.

Sorry, but that's not fair.

There were 35k at Swans v Hawks, but for this game it had bucketed down 50mm of rain with more predicted. Public transport to the ground is ordinary at best. Also a school night.

And FWIW I went.

I unfortunately saw this rubbish live, sitting among Swans members.

I'm still too angry to post much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Swans beat Dogs 88 - 42

Remove this Banner Ad

Back