Remove this Banner Ad

footy_brain

Debutant
Sep 13, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
was at the calder V jets game 2day..
the cannons look good again as always and with 12 debutants outclassed the jets who struggled in the 1st half and went goal less. a few new players for the cannons had good debuts namely meli, talia, robortella, grenfell

Same old Jets really, nothing seems to change with them from year to year. Again, played too wide and lack the required level of skill across the board. Becomes a bit of a broken record. They had a fairly 'old' team out there as well - by my count 4 nineteen year olds, 16 top agers and only four bottom agers. Jordan Mead was their best player by the length of the Flemington straight. Daylight to the rest. He may be small, but he puts his body on the line and it's difficult to understand why he wasn't even on their list last year.

Calder were impressive - the fact they had 10 different goalkickers was a real positive. I don't agree with Calder being allowed to play Meli given he's tied to Essendon, but somebody has given it the ok and he'll be an asset to them throughout the year. They just keep finding players - Robortella was best on ground for them in my view - bottom aged kid, first game and nice skills. They look like they'll be able to cover the absence of Luke Mitchell.

Oakleigh was the days most impressive winner, and they also shared the goals around. Pat Karnezis kicked 6 and bottom ager Nick Murphy kicked four. Andrew Gaff highlighted why he's so highly regarded with an outstanding performance, which also included three goals. They had a number of impressive performers - the downside for them will be school footy - but they still look like they'll give the flag one mighty shake with one of the better squads I've seen in this comp. Their squad last year lacked a bit of size, but they've got some bigger guys this year. Did lose a couple of players to injury today which may hurt in coming weeks.

Eastern were never really in the contest and a few of their more highly rated players perhaps looked a bit disappointing as a result. They still kicked 14 goals and shared the goals around with 10 individual goalkickers. We'll see how they go next week before we judge them.

Sandringham and Northern played out a scrappy contest in the late afternoon. The game started 50 minutes late thanks to some shocking programming from AFL Victoria. The games just don't fit into the time they allocated them.

Ben Jacobs was Sandringham's best player with four goals - including one from about 75m. They looked slightly better than they did this time 12 months ago, but they'll have to pump some games into these guys as there was a fair few new faces out there for them today. Northern weren't overly impressive, but they got the job done. They named Caddy as their best on ground which is fair enough, but I thought Dylan Buckley deserved to be in their best six players.

Sadly we say it every year but alas I will say it again............It's going to be a long year for the Jets.

If they have to rely on a 180cm Fortune and a seldom there Conway (Private School commitments) to kick goals then they are in big trouble.

Yes it was the 1st game of the year but zero gls to half time in perfect conditions is a major worry.

Seeing CC had Wallace and Mitchell missing, arguably their 2 best players, makes it worse. :(:(

Were the Jets missing anyone half decent today?

I don't agree with Calder being allowed to play Meli given he's tied to Essendon, but somebody has given it the ok and he'll be an asset to them throughout the year.

Dangerfield rule has opened the door. Apparently when others complained about Meli CC just held a picture of Dangerfield and there was nothing anyone could say.

Were the Jets missing anyone half decent today?
Huxtable? Morris?

Somehow I think the Jets will be relying on everybody else getting worse when school footy starts for them to be competitive, rather than improving themselves.

Dangerfield rule has opened the door. Apparently when others complained about Meli CC just held a picture of Dangerfield and there was nothing anyone could say.
Rules can be changed...after all AFL Victoria seem to play around with various policies on a weekly basis. :rolleyes:

Too bad for Essendon that Bendigo ditched their VFL Reserves team, that's where Meli should have been playing.

Whilst I never agreed with the decision, Dangerfield was still in Vic going to school with his clubs feeder teams playing 700kms away. Meli surely could be playing for the Bendigo Bombers?

Same old Jets really, nothing seems to change with them from year to year. Again, played too wide and lack the required level of skill across the board. Becomes a bit of a broken record. They had a fairly 'old' team out there as well - by my count 4 nineteen year olds, 18 top agers and only four bottom agers. Jordan Mead was their best player by the length of the Flemington straight. Daylight to the rest. He may be small, but he puts his body on the line and it's difficult to understand why he wasn't even on their list last year.

Calder were impressive - the fact they had 10 different goalkickers was a real positive. I don't agree with Calder being allowed to play Meli given he's tied to Essendon, but somebody has given it the ok and he'll be an asset to them throughout the year. They just keep finding players - Robortella was best on ground for them in my view - bottom aged kid, first game and nice skills. They look like they'll be able to cover the absence of Luke Mitchell.

Oakleigh was the days most impressive winner, and they also shared the goals around. Pat Karnezis kicked 6 and bottom ager Nick Murphy kicked four. Andrew Gaff highlighted why he's so highly regarded with an outstanding performance, which also included three goals. They had a number of impressive performers - the downside for them will be school footy - but they still look like they'll give the flag one mighty shake with one of the better squads I've seen in this comp. Their squad last year lacked a bit of size, but they've got some bigger guys this year. Did lose a couple of players to injury today which may hurt in coming weeks.

Eastern were never really in the contest and a few of their more highly rated players perhaps looked a bit disappointing as a result. They still kicked 14 goals and shared the goals around with 10 individual goalkickers. We'll see how they go next week before we judge them.

Sandringham and Northern played out a scrappy contest in the late afternoon. The game started 50 minutes late thanks to some shocking programming from AFL Victoria. The games just don't fit into the time they allocated them.

Ben Jacobs was Sandringham's best player with four goals - including one from about 75m. They looked slightly better than they did this time 12 months ago, but they'll have to pump some games into these guys as there was a fair few new faces out there for them today. Northern weren't overly impressive, but they got the job done. They named Caddy as their best on ground which is fair enough, but I thought Dylan Buckley deserved to be in their best six players.

I wasn't so sure about buckley today obviously back pocket isnt his preferred position but he seems to always try to take on one too many tacklers which angered his team mates particularly on one occasion when caddy gave him a right spray. Although i did love his run out of the back line and hitting his team mate on the chest early in the first quarter.

I thought the Jets were serviceable in the middle, and more than held their own in the contested stakes for large parts of the game with Calder struggling to extract the ball at times (particularly when Liberatore was off).

Does anyone know the extent of Wallis' injury?

Calder played with one less player due to young Sheridan injuring himself during warmup. Tydell also played minimally due to injury. I stated earlier that if Vic Metro selectors are fair dinkum Oakleigh and Calder will have 6 or 7 representatives each in the best 22. Interested what others think.

gws v emerging Sydney

gws won by 11 points in tough very hot testing conditions. 5x15 min quarters against a team including 50% overage players. Got a good start but as they started trying different combinations some of the smoothness fell away. Still a bit to go but a few good signs in the middle and backline. Goalkicking was a bit of a stuggle at times but a few forwards missing.

Lots of enthusiasm and determination shown by players and staff will help given lots of travel involved but the involvement will enhance Sydney football no end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wondering why Calder played so many under age players, they have left a few upper age players, Potter, Madden, Wall, Hooper, Said in the cold. NOt sure why You would think they would play upper age players ahead of lower aged players.

If I were an upper age player in this squad I would be wondering what I was doing there.

Was there today also, Caddy BOG fair enough? Certainly more than fair enough in the clinches was clean and kept the Knights on top in the midfield. On Buckley whilst yes he showed he has impressive speed and agility like someone else said he seemed to take on one too many and I didn't think he had much of an impact on the game at all.

Agree on Jacobs though he was very very good for Sandy.

Wondering why Calder played so many under age players, they have left a few upper age players, Potter, Madden, Wall, Hooper, Said in the cold. NOt sure why You would think they would play upper age players ahead of lower aged players.

If I were an upper age player in this squad I would be wondering what I was doing there.

I would have thought that top 24 is irrespective of age - each squad on the weekend had a combo of top and bottom age players.

wasn't there for the cannons game. how did hal hunter go?

saw hal hunter briefly in the back line - in the quarter I watched, his man did not get a touch and he looked fast and strong. talia, robortello, hunter in defence, all young players kept the jets scoring to a minimum, no goals till after half time.

gws v emerging Sydney

gws won by 11 points in tough very hot testing conditions. 5x15 min quarters against a team including 50% overage players. Got a good start but as they started trying different combinations some of the smoothness fell away. Still a bit to go but a few good signs in the middle and backline. Goalkicking was a bit of a stuggle at times but a few forwards missing.

Lots of enthusiasm and determination shown by players and staff will help given lots of travel involved but the involvement will enhance Sydney football no end.

Yes it was very hot

GWS did seem to drop off a bit in 3rd with a few of their better players on the bench

Was impressed that someone from AFL syd handed out a list with names & numbers for both teams.

AFL syd I thought Emery was their best big lad & moved about thought costello was good as well especially early was in everything & showed plenty, temple moved well & got a couple o' touches & was ok in the ruck.

Britton wa sbusy early but looks rushed & ragged kicking a worry, mumme didn't do a heap, j steer was competative, strudwick tried as did mobbs, didn't see a heap of harry have seen him before & he has gone ok, bourke was solid as always

gws agree webster was in the best, played mid & very busy & used it well, stevens did some good stuff as well almost took grab of the day, stubbs looked smooth & took a couple of good grabs missed a sitter though after some good play from ferguson, bray & brain & a couple of others didn't play,white kicked a couple & should of had 3 on the trot, dimery looked solid & linked well in midfield, mahoney tried but looked a little of the pace as did monaghan.

Wasn't impressed with fraser didn't look like takin an overhead & didn't use it well, perry ducked his head in the guts & was rubbish below his knees, kickett didn't do a heap, kane murphy looked ok when his team had the ball but disinterested when the other mob had it, as a blues fan i'll say nothing about pianta for the moment other than I hope bray gets fit.

Thats about it may of left a couple out but I think with carey & hill to come in & a couple of others & a settled line up should be interesting to watch

Will be heading to Visy to check out the Cannons v Knights game this Sunday.

Who are the top agers to reall keep an eye on, apart from Libba and Wallace.

Knights- Caddy and Rintoul
Calder- Grenfell, Guthrie, Prestia, Meli- Ess rookie, Mcleod, Tydell, Huntley, Atkinson, Daniher

Caddy, Grenfell, Guthrie and Prestia are the most likely to be drafted in that group- in fact just about certainties for mine.

Knights- Caddy and Rintoul
Calder- Grenfell, Guthrie, Prestia, Meli- Ess rookie, Mcleod, Tydell, Huntley, Atkinson, Daniher

Caddy, Grenfell, Guthrie and Prestia are the most likely to be drafted in that group- in fact just about certainties for mine.

Rintoul is still out after off season surgery on his groin, will be right to play in a couple of weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

TAC match reviews/previews

Remove this Banner Ad

Back