Tackling banned?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm disagreeing with your comment 'there are teething problems.... if we have a messy year, so what?'

All it takes is common-sense and an understanding of the game, and we don't have a 'messy year', where players unfairly miss games (likely finals series) for accidental head knocks when applying legal tackles.
Sure mistakes are being made by the afl and there is work to be done, but the focus on protecting the players from concussion is the right way to go. They just have to get it sorted so it’s reasonable and functional in its application. They aren’t there at the moment but hopefully they get to that point. Let’s see if Dillon can lift his game. Nonetheless the media and bigfooty have gone over the top and whipped themselves into a probably unwarranted frenzy about it all.

Last edited:

Or a nice hybrid of bluegrass, Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent and northern California sensemilia

Good call Carl, I'm sure Damien Hardwick would like to see that type of grass rolled out at People First Stadium and elsewhere.

yeah the bad news is the over reaction to tackling is ruining the game, no question.
The good news is they'll be hyper-focused on some other facet of the game and will have forgotten their obsession with tackling in two weeks time.

Cameron and Bedford had their suspensions overturned, on grounds that the AFL couldn’t satisfy that the players actions were likely to cause injury

Cameron’s bump and Bedfords tackle were neither likely to cause injury . I think the appeal review got this right for once

Cameron and Bedford had their suspensions overturned, on grounds that the AFL couldn’t satisfy that the players actions were likely to cause injury

Cameron’s bump and Bedfords tackle were neither likely to cause injury . I think the appeal review got this right for once
This. Have highlighted the key word. The AFL jumped to the outcome for this event, rather than demonstrate that the action of each type of tackle is inherently dangerous and would cause injury more often than not in different circumstances.

Remember what it's all about.
That goes for all the "expert" media commentary from current and former industry "players" as well.

1721375347223.jpeg

AFL concussion class action kicks off as league announces $25 million study of long-term health impacts​

Last edited:
The AFL’s objective is to revert to ‘standing’ tackles.

Believe it or not, this was ‘the norm’ in the 1960s/70s.

The player would be wrapped up and if not handballed, it was HTB or a Throw.

Yes, it was as simple as that. The concept of driving tackles or slam tackles did not exist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting analysis of tackling technique.

Every technique has its pros and cons and the "hip drop" tackle that they are suggesting using instead will cause bulk knee and ankle injuries, and is also way harder for someone of Bedford's size to execute

lIt’s a variation on the most basic Judo throw - the hip throw.

There’s a HUGE difference between the ‘mats’ and a football oval.

The majority of holds, grapples and throws are premised around a static or semi static opponent…in a ‘sparring’ or ‘fight’ scenario.

It would take years of pair work to develop the awareness to be able to apply a technical action to a player moving in random directions.

The AFL’s objective is to revert to ‘standing’ tackles.

Believe it or not, this was ‘the norm’ in the 1960s/70s.

The player would be wrapped up and if not handballed, it was HTB or a Throw.

Yes, it was as simple as that. The concept of driving tackles or slam tackles did not exist.
Probably because the players weren't athletic freaks like they are now.

Probably because the players weren't athletic freaks like they are now.
More than likely - and a possible NRL influence.

All I can say is this was never an issue when I was playing juniors football, or when I was glued to the game in the early 70s.

There were elbows, punches, coat hangers - but tackles were non events.

More than likely - and a possible NRL influence.

All I can say is this was never an issue when I was playing juniors football, or when I was glued to the game in the early 70s.

There were elbows, punches, coat hangers - but tackles were non events.
I remember picking a guy up and driving him into the ground in a tackle and getting pinged for it as a kid. Like WWE suplex style. Looking back it was totally uncalled for, Back then dangerous tackles were all just about spear tackles because of genuine concern for the neck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tackling banned?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back