Tallangatta League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see Nick Payne havind his first run with the doggies last night. The boys got some pretty tidy skills for a basketballer and i must say f**k me the kids got some hops. Should hold down the ruck fairly easily i would imagine.

Good to see Nick Payne havind his first run with the doggies last night. The boys got some pretty tidy skills for a basketballer and i must say f**k me the kids got some hops. Should hold down the ruck fairly easily i would imagine.

how does poor ol' Lachie Hunter feel?, after being the Doggies most consistent so far, he has been shafted by a ring-in. for Payne's sake i hope he is as good if not better than Hunter.
How much does a good basketballer cost anyway???? McCowan did nothing for ya a few years back!

sorry AD.I think Marty Semmler also made the squad but diddnt end up training.Two good players though those two.Interested in the leagues concept to name a "team of the year" league B&F night to compensate for no Interleague this year.Initially each coach is to put forward their team non inclusive of their own club and they believe the majority will pick itself.Is this a worthy excercise and will it carry any prestige?

just a piece of paper if thats what they are going to do.
apparently our boys that played in it last year (5 of them) were not even allowed to keep their socks! the league was GIVEN the jumpers by KIK, and then offered them to the boys for $50 each!!! how scabby is our league! i can't wait to hear Mr Maddocks speech on League Pres Night, INSPIRING!!!

how does poor ol' Lachie Hunter feel?, after being the Doggies most consistent so far, he has been shafted by a ring-in. for Payne's sake i hope he is as good if not better than Hunter.
How much does a good basketballer cost anyway???? McCowan did nothing for ya a few years back!
Free of charge. Lachie wont be getting shafted, just gives him someone new to swap with. Nick is a much more athletic and versatile, he should be able to slot in anywhere but ruck would be his favoured position. And McCowan only played a couple of years back when his brother in law was at the doggies.

What's happening to this thread? Almost 24 hrs and nothing! Come on Big Al I know your on school holidays but surely you've got a computer at home? Culphy & Franzy what's happening here you two don't have jobs do you? Do you? Run Straight, Switch the play, No orange peeler have we done something to deserve this silence? Mountain Man I'll even take a stupid comment from you? Come on guys! :(

Sorry AD, been busy making Possum and Goat ball chutney. You have to get it bottled before the rains come. :D

locky Hunter will still hold the ruck, probably the best ruckman in the competition at the moment and all of no tuition. I think with Paynes athletic ability he'd be able to hold down a CHB or CHF very easily. Has a fair bit of footy knowledge so either of those possies wouldn't be out of the question.

Fairly straightforward looking round of matches this week at first glance, but, upon closer inspection there is a bit of interest in a few of them. The big one of course is Barny v Chiltern, can Barny arrest their losing streak, or can Chiltern place a mortgage on fifth spot by defeating the Tiges for the second time in 3 weeks. Withers back in for Barny and being at home leans me towards them 22pts. Dederang can keep their hopes for 5th spot alive by defeating the out-of-form-but-keep-winning Bulldogs, and the Bullies can nearly pack the Bombers season in mothballs with a win. I'm not going back on my word benchy, Bullies for me with a big caution, as Dederang playing for their season (30 pts). No real interest in Beechworth & Mitta (Mitta easily), or Tallangatta & Kiewa (Hawks by lots), but a bit of a warning for Yack heading down to Catland to take on Rutherglen. The Cats, with Davis, Day, Thomson in their side must be one of the most competent bottom of the ladder sides going around, so any complacency by the Roos will be rewarded with a loss. A troubling week for Yack, so I'm going for the Cats by 19pts. Good luck all teams.

Tallangatta & Kiewa (Hawks by lots)

well you got the hawks right....but what happened to the hoppers???that's the worst effort seen for a senior team..well the hawks must have thought how easy......the doggies are slowly building for the finals and making it look closer every week...mitta must have there dodgy kicking boots on .......:D

Well well well what an interesting round of footy? Weve seen a team kick only a point, and another kick 21 behinds. Plus with a 3 way tie for 5th and Beechworth only 1 game behind the next 6 weeks will be pretty interesting. Did anyone watch Tallangatta? Were they that bad or just didnt have many scoring opportunities?

Weve seen a team kick only a point, Did anyone watch Tallangatta? Were they that bad or just didnt have many scoring opportunities?

I don't think a lack of scoring oportunities could result in a performance like what I saw. Tallangatta are the new Thurgoona/Bethanga in my eyes and it just goes to show that a handfull of Upper Murray players isn't going to get you anywhere. If the axe wasn't already hanging over Mathey's neck then it sure is now, either that or he is already tying his own noose. I bet the hoppers can't wait till round 14 so they can have the bye becasue the Doggies shouldn't take it easy on them next week.

I'll be stuffed if I go and watch the Hoppers again while Mathey is at the Helm, I might head back up the Valley and pull the boots back on for Bullioh. Actually that would be a bloody good match to watch.:)

Who do you all think would win between Bullioh and Tallangatta?
It's a shame Bullioh dosen't have the bye in round 14.

Originally Posted by More Than a Game
locky Hunter will still hold the ruck, probably the best ruckman in the competition

No offence to young Locky H because he's a good mate of the big red nut (me!) and knows how to play the game but there is no chance of him being the leading ruckmen in the league. Talking about rucking, i might have a little chat to coach this week and see if i can play(dominant) in the ruck.

I agree with you...i watch the crappers against the saints and i was nearly going to ask for a refund...I think Bullioh would pump them...Mathey has been around a long time and i think his time is up....I have spoken to a player who he coached at tallangatta the first time around and he can't stand him...He plays favourites and attracts players from lower leagues who have won flags but aren't up to tdfl.....a word of advice for the hoppers spend cash wisely next season or end up in the upper murray!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the result would matter but the action on and off the field would be magic.:D Imagine all the square ups on the field and the beer filled supporters going at it before, during and after the game. Absolutely priceless:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

How fickle is footy. I Think back to round 1 when Thurgoona played Tallangatta with the hoppers up by 6 goals at half time. Both clubs season have taken on a fairly different path since that half time break. With the dogs going on to win that game become one of the competitions top side and only drop one game since. Tallangatta on the other hand have been belted from pilla to post and have only won 1 game. I agree that the last 6 weeks will be interesting. The top 4 sides are safe matter of which order you'd think that Kiewa Thurgoona and Mitta should hang on to a top 3 berth. Barny will need not to drop anymore games and hope one of the above stumbles but the 5th place battle will be a classic 8 or even 7 wins may scrap them in. i reckon the top 4 are a class above the rest though.

I agree with you...i watch the crappers against the saints and i was nearly going to ask for a refund...I think Bullioh would pump them...Mathey has been around a long time and i think his time is up....I have spoken to a player who he coached at tallangatta the first time around and he can't stand him...He plays favourites and attracts players from lower leagues who have won flags but aren't up to tdfl.....a word of advice for the hoppers spend cash wisely next season or end up in the upper murray!!!!!

As an ex-TVFC player, I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that score against Kiewa. Must be a few injuries at Hopperland, after reading a few of the names that played twos, but to kick 1 point in a game is shocking, and I have never seen it at Tallangatta before.

I have heard the same about Mathey and was very surprised they re-signed him for 2007. I just wonder if anyone else actually wanted the job, and I would think that a fair bit of cash that used to be directed towards TVFC is now at the Bullioh footy club instead which would make it tougher. They need a new coach in 2008. Someone from outside the club altogether, who has never been involved there before, and perhaps try to get young guys from the O&M twos who are on the cusp, but can't crack a game in the ones.

Travel is always the big factor too. Many young guys can't be bothered travelling even half an hour, and petrol isn't cheap either, so would need to get a few kids that know each other. They need to forget getting players from the Upper Murray as they are up there for a reason already. Either from the area, not good enough for anywhere else or winding up their careers.

It is a shame, as the TVFC was a very strong and proud club, so not sure what has happened at committee level or anything, but they made some blues in the recruiting department in 2007.

Hopefully they can rectify that in 2008 and beyond.

I don't think a lack of scoring oportunities could result in a performance like what I saw. Tallangatta are the new Thurgoona/Bethanga in my eyes and it just goes to show that a handfull of Upper Murray players isn't going to get you anywhere. If the axe wasn't already hanging over Mathey's neck then it sure is now, either that or he is already tying his own noose. I bet the hoppers can't wait till round 14 so they can have the bye becasue the Doggies shouldn't take it easy on them next week.

I'll be stuffed if I go and watch the Hoppers again while Mathey is at the Helm, I might head back up the Valley and pull the boots back on for Bullioh. Actually that would be a bloody good match to watch.:)

So GF are you involved at the club? And if so at what level or are you just one of these guys who sit on their arse, do nothing to help but whinge & critersise. How bout you get in and help, as just about all your quotes are having a go at the coach. I used to play at Tallangatta and my family was involved - a great club fallen on tough times, but they need action, not blokes who just do nothing, if its that bad help them find a new coach, players etc - country clubs need help. As for who would win between Bullioh & Tall from what i hear Bullioh is old Tall players who couldnt or didnt want to play a higher comp - so my money would be on the hoppers.

So reggie, maybe the hoppers merge with Bullioh and go to the UMFL, believe it has worked before lol, so one really bad season and your saying they will be in the UMFL & Thurgoona can have 8 or 10 bad ones and stay - id really be listening to your advice & the opion of 1 ex player is gospel hey, not everyone gets along with the coach - i hated my first one!!!!!!

As an ex-TVFC player, I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that score against Kiewa. Must be a few injuries at Hopperland, after reading a few of the names that played twos, but to kick 1 point in a game is shocking, and I have never seen it at Tallangatta before.

I have heard the same about Mathey and was very surprised they re-signed him for 2007. I just wonder if anyone else actually wanted the job, and I would think that a fair bit of cash that used to be directed towards TVFC is now at the Bullioh footy club instead which would make it tougher. They need a new coach in 2008. Someone from outside the club altogether, who has never been involved there before, and perhaps try to get young guys from the O&M twos who are on the cusp, but can't crack a game in the ones.

Travel is always the big factor too. Many young guys can't be bothered travelling even half an hour, and petrol isn't cheap either, so would need to get a few kids that know each other. They need to forget getting players from the Upper Murray as they are up there for a reason already. Either from the area, not good enough for anywhere else or winding up their careers.

It is a shame, as the TVFC was a very strong and proud club, so not sure what has happened at committee level or anything, but they made some blues in the recruiting department in 2007.

Hey Oldmanemu, as an ex player myself it was shocking to see the score, but after a couple of calls today they 18 players out of the side that were senior players, just about all injuries. 12 new ones from the first game of year - take that out of any side and see how they go. Your thoughts on travel etc are spot on and they need to spend wisely, i have to say Bullioh has hurt the club big time - great move by the VCFL. But lets hope they get back up there as the comp needs them with the support they bring.

How does a team end up with 18 injuries? Are they soft tissue or more serious (eg knee/shoulders)?
How many nights a week do the hoppers train? Maybe they dont train enough or get trained too hard. I've never heard of a club with 18 injuries, no wonder they're doing it tough.

Apart from the thurgoona club president on the weekend who did an outstanding job, is it just me or is the standard of umpiring in the reserves matches this year just an absolute disgrace?? I'm frequently left shaking my head as to a majority of decisions that are given that could be described as plain cheating!! I know & understand that it happens with all clubs and I'm not singling any club out specifically but honestly alot of these umpires need to have a good hard look at themselves and ask themselves whether they are really doing the game any justice. I think the league needs to send out some observers to any random game and take a look for themselves and see that club umpires don't work. Anyone got any thoughts?

Apart from the thurgoona club president on the weekend who did an outstanding job, is it just me or is the standard of umpiring in the reserves matches this year just an absolute disgrace?? I'm frequently left shaking my head as to a majority of decisions that are given that could be described as plain cheating!! I know & understand that it happens with all clubs and I'm not singling any club out specifically but honestly alot of these umpires need to have a good hard look at themselves and ask themselves whether they are really doing the game any justice. I think the league needs to send out some observers to any random game and take a look for themselves and see that club umpires don't work. Anyone got any thoughts?

I wouldn't say the standard in the seniors is any better AD.

It sounds like the boys from the Valley are on a lonely walk down struggle street oldmanemu!
I have a suggestion to get some of the old boys and a bit of tradition back in Tallangatta. How about going back to the old Black & White jumper? I think i am correct in saying thats what they used they used to wear. From what i can see the club legends, who are great blokes and those sorts of people attract good players just are not involved there any more.

It sounds like the boys from the Valley are on a lonely walk down struggle street oldmanemu!
I have a suggestion to get some of the old boys and a bit of tradition back in Tallangatta. How about going back to the old Black & White jumper? I think i am correct in saying thats what they used they used to wear. From what i can see the club legends, who are great blokes and those sorts of people attract good players just are not involved there any more.

Last year Tallangatta Valley FC were called upon to vote on 2 motions: 1. To revert to the name Tallangatta FC i.e drop Valley from the name. That was passed. The other motion was to revert to the old Black & White strip, that motion was defeated. The Hoppers are quite obviously struggling at the moment, and there is no doubt that the reformation of Bullioh has a lot to do with that. I can count about 8 or more senior Bullioh players who would be more than competent at TDFL level. Not sure if they still bus players out from CSU in Thurgoona, but this is not a great long-term plan in my opinion. Also hurts you big time in school holidays, when they all go back to their home towns. They did try to get a decent coach last year, the bloke Williams from Wodonga was one that knocked them back, so I believe they were left with no choice but to appoint Mathey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back