Tallangatta League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Border Mail votes are done by the timekeepers. With due respect to the timekeepers, I wouldn't take too much notice of them if I were you.

mmm true.... public votes are usually won by the blokes with the best known names. Still if anyone can post it i wouldn't mind having a geezer. Ta.

mmm true.... public votes are usually won by the blokes with the best known names. Still if anyone can post it i wouldn't mind having a geezer. Ta.
Check Thursdays paper but i believe Rhodes (kiewa) and Semmler (Barny) are leading the field by a street.

Last year Tallangatta Valley FC were called upon to vote on 2 motions: 1. To revert to the name Tallangatta FC i.e drop Valley from the name. That was passed. The other motion was to revert to the old Black & White strip, that motion was defeated. The Hoppers are quite obviously struggling at the moment, and there is no doubt that the reformation of Bullioh has a lot to do with that. I can count about 8 or more senior Bullioh players who would be more than competent at TDFL level. Not sure if they still bus players out from CSU in Thurgoona, but this is not a great long-term plan in my opinion. Also hurts you big time in school holidays, when they all go back to their home towns. They did try to get a decent coach last year, the bloke Williams from Wodonga was one that knocked them back, so I believe they were left with no choice but to appoint Mathey.

True RS, they were the motions and as a lot at club believed there was more success & history in the green & gold than the black & white thats why no change. They dont bus players from CSU Thurgoona, the uni players mostly come from Albury campass and drive out themselves. It may not be the best solution but when half the juniors who would play for the club are up the road at Bullioh they have to get players from somewhere, the President tells me they get 3 to 4 years out of them which is not to bad if you ask me.

Apart from the thurgoona club president on the weekend who did an outstanding job, is it just me or is the standard of umpiring in the reserves matches this year just an absolute disgrace?? I'm frequently left shaking my head as to a majority of decisions that are given that could be described as plain cheating!! I know & understand that it happens with all clubs and I'm not singling any club out specifically but honestly alot of these umpires need to have a good hard look at themselves and ask themselves whether they are really doing the game any justice. I think the league needs to send out some observers to any random game and take a look for themselves and see that club umpires don't work. Anyone got any thoughts?
What happened to your regular Reserves umpire on the weekend AD for your president to have to do it?:cool:

True RS, they were the motions and as a lot at club believed there was more success & history in the green & gold than the black & white thats why no change. They dont bus players from CSU Thurgoona, the uni players mostly come from Albury campass and drive out themselves. It may not be the best solution but when half the juniors who would play for the club are up the road at Bullioh they have to get players from somewhere, the President tells me they get 3 to 4 years out of them which is not to bad if you ask me.

its not bad until in 3 years time when the whole of CSU is located at the thurgoona campus...100m down the road from the home of the bulldogs. if dogs are winning goin to find it hard to get uni blokes away from there! need a long term solution cos i cant see them relying on uni boys in the near future

Hard to get the border mail in Bendigo. Hows Ben Davis polling.

Newblood, Ben Davis has been playing awesome footy for Rutherglen this year, unfortunately he is a bit of a Robinson Crusoe though. He was beaten convincingly on the weekend by Kyle Roberts (Yack) but was still named one of the Cats best. Had Rutherglen won more than one game this year, Wizz would have definitely been the closest to Jack Rhodes for the Barton Medal.
Should Davis Coach the Cats next year?????
Thompson is definitely not Coaching again, so the door is open.

It sounds like the boys from the Valley are on a lonely walk down struggle street oldmanemu!
I have a suggestion to get some of the old boys and a bit of tradition back in Tallangatta. How about going back to the old Black & White jumper? I think i am correct in saying thats what they used they used to wear. From what i can see the club legends, who are great blokes and those sorts of people attract good players just are not involved there any more.
How did both Bullioh and Tallangatta fare when they were both in the TDFL? Were players coming and going between both clubs? Tallangatta has all the juniors so they have to find a way to retain them. 'Success breeds success' they say so it will only be a matter of time before Bullioh take their turn down the bottom of the ladder and the Hoppers get back on top. Every club takes their turn at the lower rungs of the ladder at some stage, its how quick they get back up there that is the question. If the Upper Murray league battles in the next few years (lack of juniors, no reserves etc.) where are they going to go? If they tried to return to the TDFL (as some of their committee allegedly have suggested) they would be the battlers and the Hoppers would be able to keep their kids and get back on top.:)

Hey Al, can you do an update the top 30 using HII's system ?

1 Jack Rhodes Kiewa 72
2 Brenton Surrey Beechworth 56
3 Travis Knight Kiewa 55
4 Ashley Sutherland Kiewa 52
5 Jake Mounsey Dederang 51
6 Lachlan Hunter Thurgoona 46
7 Brett Wightman Thurgoona 45
8 Martin Semmler Barnawartha 42
9 James Ryan Wodonga Saints 42
10 Jason Gentile Dederang 41
11 Ben Davis Rutherglen 41
12 Dale Andrews Chiltern 41
13 Scott Thomson Rutherglen 40
14 Danny Hargreaves Barnawartha 39
15 Daniel Ladgrove Chiltern 38
16 Cameron Cassidy Chiltern 36
17 Chris Moscher Thurgoona 35
18 Julian Day Rutherglen 35
19 Shane Roche Barnawartha 34
20 Danny Cohen Mitta 33
21 Ben Rogers Barnawartha 32
22 John Allen Beechworth 32
23 Alex Beggs Mitta 32
24 Michael Hill Dederang 31
25 Leigh Cameron Kiewa 30
26 Clint Dickens Chiltern 30
27 Matt Hooper Barnawartha 29
28 Joel Butler Mitta 29
29 Josh Mathewson Yackandandah 28
30 Michael Voight Beechworth 26

As an ex-TVFC player, I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that score against Kiewa. Must be a few injuries at Hopperland, after reading a few of the names that played twos, but to kick 1 point in a game is shocking, and I have never seen it at Tallangatta before.

I have heard the same about Mathey and was very surprised they re-signed him for 2007. I just wonder if anyone else actually wanted the job, and I would think that a fair bit of cash that used to be directed towards TVFC is now at the Bullioh footy club instead which would make it tougher. They need a new coach in 2008. Someone from outside the club altogether, who has never been involved there before, and perhaps try to get young guys from the O&M twos who are on the cusp, but can't crack a game in the ones.

Travel is always the big factor too. Many young guys can't be bothered travelling even half an hour, and petrol isn't cheap either, so would need to get a few kids that know each other. They need to forget getting players from the Upper Murray as they are up there for a reason already. Either from the area, not good enough for anywhere else or winding up their careers.

It is a shame, as the TVFC was a very strong and proud club, so not sure what has happened at committee level or anything, but they made some blues in the recruiting department in 2007.

Hopefully they can rectify that in 2008 and beyond.
DONT have a go at the upper murray DH a lot of good players play up there that travel from alb/wod. i spouse u played AFL and no everyfing

its not bad until in 3 years time when the whole of CSU is located at the thurgoona campus...100m down the road from the home of the bulldogs. if dogs are winning goin to find it hard to get uni blokes away from there! need a long term solution cos i cant see them relying on uni boys in the near future

Agreed that there will be a lot of uni boys available when CSU move to Thurgoona but aren't the Bushpigs in the Farrer league in the same boat and currently struggling due to there reliance on those uni players. No doubt you get some good players, but from having experience with the Bushpigs I wouldn't say they were solely thinking of footy success. Their flag in 2003 with Jiffy Carroll coaching was more due to recruiting a lot of outside players and a lot, not all, the uni boys made up numbers. No doubt the Bulldogs would be aware of this but I thought it interesting that a lot of emphasis being put on uni players at the moment in promoting club progression.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to your regular Reserves umpire on the weekend AD for your president to have to do it?:cool:

The pres realised he was starting to get a little portly around the front and rear and decided that the run may in fact do him some good. :D

But seriously, our club umpire wished to actually play in the reserves rather than umpire however failed to inform the reserves coach. As a result he was overlooked on a number of occasions at selection for kids coming through the thirds. A couple of the young fellas have asked the coach if they could step up and play a couple of games to get a feel for it as they are to old for thirds next year. Apparently the coaching staff didn't see a problem with this. Therefore our club umpire has decided to have a break for a short while switch. :thumbsu:

Newblood, Ben Davis has been playing awesome footy for Rutherglen this year, unfortunately he is a bit of a Robinson Crusoe though. He was beaten convincingly on the weekend by Kyle Roberts (Yack) but was still named one of the Cats best. Had Rutherglen won more than one game this year, Wizz would have definitely been the closest to Jack Rhodes for the Barton Medal.
Should Davis Coach the Cats next year?????
Thompson is definitely not Coaching again, so the door is open.
He is heading O/S.Strong tip Lindsay Seymour will return to do it.Also see Tallangatta kicked 1.5 between th ewhole club Saturday.Tough day.

The pres realised he was starting to get a little portly around the front and rear and decided that the run may in fact do him some good. :D

But seriously, our club umpire wished to actually play in the reserves rather than umpire however failed to inform the reserves coach. As a result he was overlooked on a number of occasions at selection for kids coming through the thirds. A couple of the young fellas have asked the coach if they could step up and play a couple of games to get a feel for it as they are to old for thirds next year. Apparently the coaching staff didn't see a problem with this. Therefore our club umpire has decided to have a break for a short while switch. :thumbsu:
He did do two games the week before AD;thought maybe he might have gone onto the panel.Gee Big Al has some time on his hands doesn't he AD.Good to know the kids of the world should all be computer savvy if he passes on his unlimited amount of knowledge.:thumbsu:

He did do two games the week before AD;thought maybe he might have gone onto the panel.Gee Big Al has some time on his hands doesn't he AD.Good to know the kids of the world should all be computer savvy if he passes on his unlimited amount of knowledge.:thumbsu:

I'm surprised you found time in busy schedule to look yourself switch, especially with some of the long phone calls you must have to sit through in that secret office of yours where nobody can find you :D.

Agreed that there will be a lot of uni boys available when CSU move to Thurgoona but aren't the Bushpigs in the Farrer league in the same boat and currently struggling due to there reliance on those uni players. No doubt you get some good players, but from having experience with the Bushpigs I wouldn't say they were solely thinking of footy success. Their flag in 2003 with Jiffy Carroll coaching was more due to recruiting a lot of outside players and a lot, not all, the uni boys made up numbers. No doubt the Bulldogs would be aware of this but I thought it interesting that a lot of emphasis being put on uni players at the moment in promoting club progression.

CSU don't really figure in our recruiting plan at all Al, other than keeping an eye out for a topliner or 2. A pickup like our current captain would be more than handy. More likely to be interested in players that live/work in Thurgoona, who may be travelling distances to play elsewhere when they could be just around the corner.

CSU don't really figure in our recruiting plan at all Al, other than keeping an eye out for a topliner or 2. A pickup like our current captain would be more than handy. More likely to be interested in players that live/work in Thurgoona, who may be travelling distances to play elsewhere when they could be just around the corner.

Fair enough RS

Bit of a contadiction there benchy, you say its not a long term solution for the hoppers, then say in 3 years when they are out at thurgoona you will get them all - so then will you be looking for a long term solution? Just a thought!!

You're right switch, big al wouldn't know what these kids are up to behind the old shelter shed during little lunch with him always on the commodore 64 giving us his clever insight. ;)

DONT have a go at the upper murray DH a lot of good players play up there that travel from alb/wod. i spouse u played AFL and no everyfing

Haven't played AFL mate, but have played senior footy in a league of better standard than the UMFL, and I don't know everything but I suppose I know how to spell...... :rolleyes:

Anyway, name some good players in the UM league. Would be lucky to get a handful.

Didn't Mathey coach the premiers or runners-up up there last year??? Doesn't say much for his recruiting efforts or the UM in general.

I know of players who couldn't get a game in the TDFL seniors, who went up to the UMFL and played interleague and coached senior teams, and that is usually what happens. Guys try to get some cash before they retire.

Good players I know of who have played UM are Beau McKimmie (who I think still plays), and Brendan Atree. Two guys who came to TVFC in the late 80s/early 90s and did very well with a B&F or two between them.

I think it was fat side who said, the Hoppers are now just called Tallangatta FC, not Tallangatta Valley FC, is that right? If so, that would put a few farmers off-side too most likely.

And can anyone tell me if they offered Karl Elliott the seniors job?? He coached Bullioh to a premiership a couple of years ago, so could have brought a couple of kids back with him. Anyway, as I said, raid the O&M 2nds top 5 teams. There would be 25/26yo's in there who would jump at the chance to coach a team.

Haven't played AFL mate, but have played senior footy in a league of better standard than the UMFL, and I don't know everything but I suppose I know how to spell...... :rolleyes:

Anyway, name some good players in the UM league. Would be lucky to get a handful.
I'm not saying that the UMFL is the greatest of football leagues, however there are more than 5 handy players up there.
Paul and Nev Nugent, Warren Sinclair and the Paton boys (Federal)
Evan Nicholas and Matt Hayes (Corryong)
Greg Wheeler, Matt Aldridge, Matt Bradshaw (Cudgewa)
The 2 Reid's, 2 Nichol's, Wade Prior (Bullioh) are some of the boys up there who would make a significant impact in the TDFL.
Some have played TDFL, O and M, O and M interleague, TAC Cup and VFL reserves so they are hardly mugs.

The Upper Murray boys that Mathey took to Tallangatta were far from being in that league's elite. If he had recruited half of those players above then they would have made significant progress up the ladder.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back