Tarrant wants to return to Victoria...should we ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a yes from me, he's still got two or three years left at least, he can play on the big players, will allow jamo to play on the second tall, will release Waite forward, will allow us to develop Austin in the magoos, will allow us to play Thornton loose across half back, will push Bower to the half back flank where he can pick up the third tall and run all day. Allows us to push players like Armfield and Russell further up the ground.

Having a player like Tarrant is a great insurance policy, we can throw him in the back half for the next two or three years while Austin develops and we can draft more tall timber without throwing em to the wolves straight away should we have injuries like we have had this year. It is a win win imo. For a third rounder i would go for it straight away. If they want a fringe player to sweeten the deal such as Fisher or someone similar i would throw that in to. He would complete our structure and give us increased depth in the back half, he can also play full forward. I would be moving heaven and earth to get him to Carlton for the next few years if it involves a third round pick.

Those saying no will quickly change their tune after J Brown tears us a new one on the weekend!

This. 100% spot on.

My thoughts exactly.

I think it would of happen if we didn't sign Bower (maybe a swap). Our backline really isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

If Waite and Jamison can be fit and firing for most of the season, I think our backline will be quite settled.

The batch of August 2009 aren't impressing me at all :rolleyes:

Any side who is missing 3 key defenders is going to struggle. Especially if there's no defensive pressure from the midfield.

He would cost too much than we're willing to give.

Would be more than happy for us to draft another key backman and develop him while Jamo, Bower, Austin, Thornton and perhaps even Waite fill those defensive spots in 2010.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is an interesting prospect. He has had a good season at FB, and whether he can continue this form is another story.

I guess the big question is what Ratts has planned for Waite. We know jamison will play FB..thorntan and Bower as the others there. Will Waite be the CHB when he returns? Will austin get his chances next season?

One thing is for sure, having players like Waite, Tarrant and Setanta really would give ratten flexibility.

Hutchy mentioned last night that carlton would be looking at tarrant after conceeding 27 goals last week. We were missing our FB and CHB...when the hawks or geelong miss theirs, you hear about it, but not carlton.

would be BRILLIANT.
just the answer we need :thumbsu: so many people we could fob off to freo too

Just out of interest who would they be?

LOL at some Freo flogs suggesting a straigh swap:

Tarrant for Bower and Yarran. :D

More likely C'wood fans pretending to be Freo fans ...go to our baord nothing like that being suggested.

The Dockers Board reckon he is worth an early first rounder!

When will they figure out how this 'player trade' thing works?

Mate there is not one post asking for an early first rounder - the highest ask has been for the Hawks first rounder and at 9 that is a middle round pick.

I would think Taz is worth a 2nd rounder and change (upgrade or player).

Sure he is old but for the teams competing in finals - his best work has been against the key forwards in the bes teams.

The ball comes in pretty darn easy from our midfield and the inside 50's are hughe yet he has still done blinding jobs on guys like Fev, Johnson and Bradshaw.

He is contracted but Harvey is re-building, I am sure Freo will ask for a first rounder as a starting point and I am sure there are 2 or 3 clubs who would put a 3rd rounder on the table - then it is negotiation.

Mate there is not one post asking for an early first rounder - the highest ask has been for the Hawks first rounder and at 9 that is a middle round pick.

There are 5 pages demanding the Hawks 1st rounder as compensation. Ill call it a mid first rounder shall I?

Pick 9 for Tarrant? A 29 year old party boy who has played one good year as a third forward years ago and a very good year as a backman... both bracketed by 8 years of rubbish.

Pass.

I just cant believe the majority of posters on the Freo board are even contemplating any AFL club (let alone the Hawks) would be stupid enough to even entertain this idea for longer than it takes to laugh and vomit and choke on that vomit due to the laughter.

I mean I know Freo were all to happy to bend over at the trade table for older players, but talk about carrying a grudge.

I reckon a second rounder for Tarrant and a swap of our third round picks. (At absolute best). And Id only offer that as the other likely suitors (Hawks) could trump us with their third rounder if we only offered our third rounder.

Heck Im feeling nice - you can also take your choice of Fisher/ Hartlett/ Cloke.

He is contracted but Harvey is re-building.

Exactly. Will not be a part of your next (Only? First?) premiership. Youd be mad not to look at trading him now while he has value and help the rebuilding.

Should have made the same call with Pav last year (and for the same reasons).

Sure he is old but for the teams competing in finals - his best work has been against the key forwards in the bes teams.

The ball comes in pretty darn easy from our midfield and the inside 50's are hughe yet he has still done blinding jobs on guys like Fev, Johnson and Bradshaw.

He is contracted but Harvey is re-building, I am sure Freo will ask for a first rounder as a starting point and I am sure there are 2 or 3 clubs who would put a 3rd rounder on the table - then it is negotiation.

no doubt freo would ask for a first round pick but you and i both know thats not what you're going to get. I think at 29 years old with his best footy behind him and his history he's worth no more than a third round pick with a fringe player thrown in as a sweetner. No way i'd be parting with a second round pick in the last uncomprimised draft for two or three years for a 29yo who has a history of enjoying Melbourne's nightlife a little too much. I'm pretty certain no other club would either.

Jamison, Waite, Bower, Thornton, Austin - that is 5 quality key backmen (I think Aussie has great potential).

Even with Waite going forward, I have faith in our other blokes to do the job.

Would only get Tarrant if he came very cheap, which he won't.

Most freo supporters (If not all) have requested a first round pick as part of a package deal...Hard pressed to find any of the regulars demanding a first round as compensation.

Second round as a straight swap is another option.

Tarrant has not been beaten all season, you get him in your side and the opposition's best forward is a non issue. For a team like the Blues entering their so called window I think that would be a pretty big luxury to have on their side. Make no mistake about it, he has 3 good years left in him (By good I mean AA) and a number of serviceable potentialy after that.

As far as I can see the only issue if you look at it from both sides (rationally) is price.

Well, given the excellent trade relationship we have with the Dockers it shouldn't be too hard to do the deal.

We would offer a third rounder.......they would say they have paid a first rounder (or was it 2?) and he is now a better player than when they got him, so our first two picks please.

Once we stopped laughing and siad....."no.....really, I mean what do you think he is worth".......then when we realise they weren't joking we have the old standoff which according to the press is holding up every other trade during the week.

Only for us to walk away, making a last ditch attempt to secure ROK again.:D

Pass.

Third rounder for a rising 30 year old.

We can't afford to trade away another second round pick and use it on a player who will be thirty next year.

And Tarrant isn't going to improve his kicking for goal after ten years. :eek:

Other clubs will beat our offer, so we will walk away.

St Kilda, Geelong and Hawthorn could trade for Tarrant the defender and keep their premiership window open. Tarrant might be another Steven King, Stewart Dew or Michael Gardiner pick up for these clubs.
... we did concede 27 goals on Saturday
Is Tarrant going to improve the accountability and second efforts of his teammates up the players up the ground? :confused: ;)

REVITALISED Fremantle defender Chris Tarrant will not play for any other AFL club next season, regardless of his intentions beyond 2010, coach Mark Harvey says.

The coach has also labelled key defender Marcus Drum a required player at Fremantle after an eye-catching end to the 22-year-old's season.

It has been reported that Tarrant, who turns 29 this month and is entering the final year of a four-year deal with Fremantle, is exploring a possible return to Victoria.

But Harvey said the converted full-back would be playing at Fremantle next season, and any plans Tarrant may have to return to his home state at the end of his contract would not change the club's position.

"He's contracted to Fremantle and he will be playing at Fremantle next year," Harvey told afl.com.au.

Third rounder for a rising 30 year old.

We can't afford to trade away another second round pick and use it on a player who will be thirty next year.

And Tarrant isn't going to improve his kicking for goal after ten years. :eek:

Other clubs will beat our offer, so we will walk away.

St Kilda, Geelong and Hawthorn could do trade for Tarrant the defender and keep their premiership window open.

Tarrant might be another Steven King, Stewart Dew or Michael Gardiner pick up for those clubs.

Is Tarrant going to improve the accountability and second efforts of his teammates up the players up the ground? :confused: ;)
No,

But Tarrant allows us flexibility so that we dont see Chris Johnson have to double back and play on Dangerfield,

Remove this Banner Ad

Tarrant wants to return to Victoria...should we ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back