Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To say the saints are gone is a big call Jelly. You should have more faith and be one to stick around. We may be ordinary on the field this year but hopefully we will at least still be on it.

as long as they keep their rubbish out of our thread, I don't mind. Not a lot of gossip re SFL getting around at the moment, other than the Glenorchy coaching job, which you would expect to be filled before the new year. How have the numbers been at training? Apparently Hobart are strugglin at the moment, which is to be expected when they have 3 compulsory sessions a week and another 3 optional, in November....

From what I have gathered pre-xmas:
Channel appear to be gone
Triabunna will gaain be a rabble
Claremont will be a force, along with Kermandie
Glenorchy will again be good once they find a coach
Brighton are throwing money around like its going out of fashion
New Norfolk will struggle
Clarence will come good in the finals as always

Barge was just thinking about the gossip that goes on on this thread, and pondered this thought: Isn't it ironic that Cadoras seems to hear more gossip than anyone else on here...

Kingborough have been training since October and getting 40 - 50 every training session. They are training every 2nd Sat and I think 2 nights a week. A good sign for a young side.

The above is all tongue in cheek of course but have you fellow Southerners noticed that the despised Northerners have hi-jacked the Tassie Footy thread over the past couple of months. Prior to that there was hardly a peep out of the North of the State.
There are probably a few more of us "despised northerners" who are regular long term posters than you think flood. From my point of view it's interesting what is going on all over the state especially when we all have the alliance of hating the "despised AFL Tas" in common. Parochialism is really a media and government term, especially when most of us are related in some way anyway.:)

To say the saints are gone is a big call Jelly. You should have more faith and be one to stick around. We may be ordinary on the field this year but hopefully we will at least still be on it.

You have to be realistic about these things mate, I have been on the committee down there and have seen the shape the club is in (financially it is sound but commitment-wise it is battling). I really do hope that things turn around, but not having anything in place at this time of the year is not a good sign. Hopefully things improve a lot after xmas....

By the way, happy b'day big fella...

Barge was just thinking about the gossip that goes on on this thread, and pondered this thought: Isn't it ironic that Cadoras seems to hear more gossip than anyone else on here...

Hadn't really noticed til you mentioned it!

Very much so!

But are his "sources" as reliable as good ol' Barge's?

NEVER!

What are the odds on ol Cad pulling on the red, white and black to help the young Saints out?

His talk around the backline is missed badly.

Even by former opponents like me!

Very much so!

NEVER!

I admit I don't have an extensive network of gasbaggers as you do Mister Barge, but I do have a small source of reliable "Information Assistants" spread out amongst the general public:D

What are the odds on ol Cad pulling on the red, white and black to help the young Saints out?

Nil! The only way I could get out there now is in a motorised wheelchair :thumbsu: The old knees wouldn't cope with the rock hard surface of Snug Park.

Although.....IF you made a comeback, I might be able to make a cameo appearance for old times sake:p

a bit of gossip on the umpiring front...

Southern Umpires have once again rejected the TFLUA's advances and will be a stand-alone organisation in 2008. furthermore, they're throwing a bit of cash around and are recruiting goal umpires for Old Scholars senior and reserve games.

does this mean the TFLUA will have a reduced presence in the OSFA in 2008, or, in the face of dwindling membership, are they severing ties altogether?

will be interesting to keep an eye on that one.

...and speaking of dwindling membership, things aren't looking good for your favourite umpiring association in 2008. if the Southern Umpires' money is as good as the rumours suggest, quite a few goal umpires may not return to the association

not that anybody cares about a few goalies :D

that's probably the least of their worries though. recruitment is again going to be an issue in 2008 (at last check, they were still running the same ads that originally drew my attention during the summer of '04/'05), and the state government grant the association is reportedly relying upon to fund their recruitment drive will not be forthcoming if my mail from the Office of Sport and Rec is anything to go by

does that mean AFL Tas will step up and lend a hand to its most populous umpiring association? not likely, if Scott Wade's attitude toward high-ranking TFLUA officials is anything to go by (yes, the same Scott Wade who told a TFLUA official that "nobody gives a shit what you wear" in response to said official's questioning about the national umpiring uniform)

never mind any of that though, cos Shane Stewart is getting an AFL tryout this pre-season! hopefully the stupid **** won't miss his conference call and get booted again :D

oh, and did anybody else hear the one about how I ran for the association's committee and lost? hahaha. as if.

I think that's a good note to go out on...

that's probably the least of their worries though. recruitment is again going to be an issue in 2008 (at last check, they were still running the same ads that originally drew my attention during the summer of '04/'05), and the state government grant the association is reportedly relying upon to fund their recruitment drive will not be forthcoming if my mail from the Office of Sport and Rec is anything to go by

I'll ask my Manager of Sport and Rec , I mean Mother about that one. ;)

EDIT: She says the TFLUA's proposal was about funding. but merely creating a study on recruitment.. and Sport and Rec don't give grants for studies. If they clearly underline how they will achieve recruitment, not just study it, it will have more chance of success.

I'll ask my Manager of Sport and Rec , I mean Mother about that one. ;)

EDIT: She says the TFLUA's proposal was about funding. but merely creating a study on recruitment.. and Sport and Rec don't give grants for studies. If they clearly underline how they will achieve recruitment, not just study it, it will have more chance of success.

haha, bingo.

I'd heard about the funding request before attending the association's AGM last month, made a point of asking a question about the association's recruiting strategy on the night and I was met with a bullshit answer about how they were after funding from Sport and Rec

but they can't 'clearly underline' how they will recruit new members, because they have absolutely no idea themselves!

then again, maybe I should give them some sort of recruiting plan on here... cos I know they're reading this right now ;)

Very much so!

NEVER!

I think you'll find last time the old bloke laced on the leathers, he lasted 5 minutes, but took 15 mins to get himself off the ground... And his chat down back was invaluable. Wasn't a good listener though, old Cad; would never pick up his man if you called him back...

I think you'll find last time the old bloke laced on the leathers, he lasted 5 minutes, but took 15 mins to get himself off the ground... And his chat down back was invaluable. Wasn't a good listener though, old Cad; would never pick up his man if you called him back...

Actually Young JellyBean......I hobbled over the fence and one of the regular Bay 13 supporters drove me around the oval straight to the showers:p:thumbsu: smart move eh!, as once you cross the fence you are unable to come back on the field as you didn't cross the designated change over line.

And as for me not picking up my man, I always had to cover some other lazy prick's man as well as mine!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually Young JellyBean......I hobbled over the fence and one of the regular Bay 13 supporters drove me around the oval straight to the showers:p:thumbsu: smart move eh!, as once you cross the fence you are unable to come back on the field as you didn't cross the designated change over line.

And as for me not picking up my man, I always had to cover some other lazy prick's man as well as mine!

Cadoras, setlikejelly and Barge - you may have to start up your own private "reminiscing" board to save us from having to read through the in's and out's of your respective careers.

Well what should we talk about then Flood?
Got to remember it's the off season Flood. Look back to this time last year and you will find the same. At least we are keeping in touch, and knowing who are reminicing it's even funnier to read some of the comments posted. Lighten up - we'll get to the serious stuff when the season starts
BTW Merry Christmas to all!:)

Micky Bowden will be good for the Pies :thumbsu:

Had a quick glance at Kingborough's end of year report tonight.
Very well put together and professional work it was.
Look to be investing in property in the area to keep them afloat, like I say I only glanced through it fairly quickly but from memory if they hadn't offloaded one of these places they, according to the report would've recorded a $74,000 loss for the year, only making $8000 through the gate for the entire season.
They either made a loss or profit of just over $36,000 anyway.

Cadoras, setlikejelly and Barge - you may have to start up your own private "reminiscing" board to save us from having to read through the in's and out's of your respective careers.

i wouldn't call them 'careers' mate, just bringing up some stories to keep the forum rolling over during the quiet period..

Micky Bowden will be good for the Pies :thumbsu:

Had a quick glance at Kingborough's end of year report tonight.
Very well put together and professional work it was.
Look to be investing in property in the area to keep them afloat, like I say I only glanced through it fairly quickly but from memory if they hadn't offloaded one of these places they, according to the report would've recorded a $74,000 loss for the year, only making $8000 through the gate for the entire season.
They either made a loss or profit of just over $36,000 anyway.

Good to see a club taking the punt and investing their $$$$. They need it.

i wouldn't call them 'careers' mate, just bringing up some stories to keep the forum rolling over during the quiet period..

Speak for yourself there, Jelly Baby!

I've played in more Premierships than you played in 2007 winning sides!

Make no mistake - my career has been one of the more, if not THE most glittering to ever grace this mediocre player-laden forum!

wandered into Wynyard Football Ground (home of the mighty Cats) for a look last night, must say I was shocked at the state of disrepair the facility was in. surface looked decent, as usual, but the whole place looked like it needed a coat of paint and some TLC

what sort of crowd figures do they pull in that place nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back