Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
our brand spanking new U21 8 team SW League (the thing I'm pushing for) used for building up draft age talent,

Are you serious mate, that is almost the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Explain to me the viability of a statewide U21 comp. 100s of thousands of dollars spent and I can assure you that no one will want to go watch a bunch of kids running around, like seriously who goes to watch the mariners, friends, relations and scouts. Thats all you will have in this league. Why would AFL Tasmania waste so many resources on something like that, seriously this idea is even too stupid for AFL Tasmania. At the moment both leagues are going better than they have in the past decade so leave it at that and let suburban footy rule again after all it is the life blood of our game and is continually used to prop up artifical teams (devils). If it were to go statewide yes an under 23 (reserves) comp is a good thing because you end up with a lot of blokes in there prime and want to push. A lot of older blokes playing 2s atm don't have the commitment and lets face it to travel nearly ever 3rd week you would have to have some level of commitment. But having said that taking 2 teams away every 2 or 3 weeks is not really financially viable anyways. So hopefully they just grow the product they have now instead of getting something to a point where it has potential to be good or even great and cutting it down when its about to explode.

Results and summaries today:
SFL Premier League Round 7 saw Clarence have to hang on for a grittiy 9 point win over Lauderdale at Bellerive, Hobart broke their Boyer hoodoo to get home by 12 points, Glenorchy were untroubled against Kingborough at KGV winning by 102 despite a 6 goal final term by the Tigers and North Hobart belted Brighton by 204 at League HQ.

Regional League round 8 and Lindisfarne made it 8 from 8 after accounting for an injury ravaged Kermandie by 105 at ANZAC Park, Central Hawks finally won a game on the road defeating Cygnet by 9, Huonville pipped the Monties by 2 points but nearly blew a 50 point first quarter start, Dodges were comfortable 127 point winners over Triabunna and Sorell won by 176 over Channel.

NTFL Round 10 had South L'ton defeat Penguin by 30 points at Youngtown, North L'ton smash Devonport by an even 100 at Aurora, Ulverstone were 200+ point winners against Wynyard, Launceston had a easy 150+ point win over Easts and Burnie were comfortable 80-odd point winners against Latrobe.

NTFA Division One Round 8 saw Rocherlea kick 16 second half goals to dispose of Deloraine by 64 at the Racecourse, Scottsdale shrugged off Bracknell by 6 goals at Pie Park, Longford had a easy 62 point win over Bridgenorth and a broken leg to Saints player Todd Crane soured George Town's win over Hillwood by 42.

NTFA Division Two Round 7 included Fingal defeat Perth by 9 points at the Valley in a entertaining game, Uni-Mowbray upset the Tamar Cats by 21 at the Uni and Scotch belted OL's by 150+ at Invermay Park. The match between St Pats and Evandale is being played tonight.

Interesting to see Daryn Perry umpiring the Sorell v Channel Reserves game, then bench coaching the Sorell seniors..............Although he did a fine job umpiring the magoos.....which can't be said of his fellow umpires in the seniors:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

So whats your point with Darren Perry, did he do a bad job - if not why even mention other than to create problems for someone who is quite obviously giving something back to the game.

Are you serious mate, that is almost the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Explain to me the viability of a statewide U21 comp. 100s of thousands of dollars spent and I can assure you that no one will want to go watch a bunch of kids running around, like seriously who goes to watch the mariners, friends, relations and scouts. Thats all you will have in this league. Why would AFL Tasmania waste so many resources on something like that, seriously this idea is even too stupid for AFL Tasmania. At the moment both leagues are going better than they have in the past decade so leave it at that and let suburban footy rule again after all it is the life blood of our game and is continually used to prop up artifical teams (devils). If it were to go statewide yes an under 23 (reserves) comp is a good thing because you end up with a lot of blokes in there prime and want to push. A lot of older blokes playing 2s atm don't have the commitment and lets face it to travel nearly ever 3rd week you would have to have some level of commitment. But having said that taking 2 teams away every 2 or 3 weeks is not really financially viable anyways. So hopefully they just grow the product they have now instead of getting something to a point where it has potential to be good or even great and cutting it down when its about to explode.

So you don't agree then...bit hard to tell in all that ambiguity...after your initial onslaught you get a bit muddled...

If you'd read anything else I've said in the past you'll know I'm 100% behind the current setup - no SW. Take teams and lump them into a comp not enough people will watch to pay for it, and you wreck footy at its heart. It's stupid of you to criticise the costs, because if you knew anything about the old SW league you'd know that nearly all of the clubs were horrendously broke - nothing will change here, except for the brief glossy AFL funding that will pay for Launch Day. A SW under age comp would be cheaper to run (one team each), you'd have no club interference outside the obvious "who belongs to who" (you could invent 8 brand new ones, and it doesn't even have to be 8 - even 4 or 6 would do the job), and the draw could be shorter...it's not about spectators, it's about AFL drafting. Why else do you think we were given that $3m in the first place?

In an under age model, of course they'll all be frigging Mariners - that's the point! The entire rationale for a SW comp is developing younger players for AFL drafting, and the numbers say that you won't be drafted once you hit 20. Read my last one again and anything else I've said on the Devils for why using them as a draft tool is the wrong way to go about it...the AFL axed the TAC Cup Mariners because they didn't provide enough recruits, so why not give these potential kids a good run at home, funded by the AFL and Tasmania, without diminishing the state senior rep side...said all this before. Let's not be naive - the SW push would look great on Scott Wade's resume before he moves onto bigger and better things...it's being done to conform with AFL preferences, not because of any in depth study as to what makes Tasmanian footy tick - so why not use their model and make it fit?

If you can't see this and the big problem faced if Tasmanians bury their heads in the sand (you think it's about to explode?!?), then you're a bigger idiot than me...

So whats your point with Darren Perry, did he do a bad job - if not why even mention other than to create problems for someone who is quite obviously giving something back to the game.

Nup he did a fine job. He should have umpired the seniors as he certainly was of a better standard than the other two. It was more of an observation than anything. Are you sure you don't work for AFL Tas?.

Should also add one thing from last night, St Pats had a comfortable win over Evandale by 84 points at the Beach (25.11-161 to 10.17-77). Although the game was close early on, the 2nd and 4th quarters from the Saints proved the difference in the end.

NTFA Division Two Ladder
Old Scotch 20 (164.1), Perth 20 (159.7), Fingal 20 (142.1), St Pats 20 (110.7), Tamar Cats 16, Uni-Mowbray 8, Evandale 4 (50.3), OL's 4 (50.0)

was talking with a former club president after the Lindisfarne game yesterday, and he attributes their recent success to the club ridding itself of its "drug and alcohol culture"

why do you suppose that is?

was talking with a former club president after the Lindisfarne game yesterday, and he attributes their recent success to the club ridding itself of its "drug and alcohol culture"

And nothing to do with the obscene amounts of money they are paying?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being heavily involved with the Lindisfarne football club for the last four years, I could probably answer your question if it wasn't already obvious.

For a decade the Lindisfarne football club were a rabble, loosing every game it played by cricket scores. Their supporters were well known to spray the abuse and other bodily functions from the balcony at every opportunity, especially when the opposition team was leaving the ground to enter the change rooms (I know as I played for an opposing team during this lean period). A punch up was a regular thing at a function.

They were never able to recruit any player worth a pinch with this going on.

Some very devoted committee people decided then to take some action. Clean the club up and send letters to players and supporters that their services were no longer needed at the club. This was going to create another couple of hard years on the field but hard choices had to be made.

I am not saying that the club is squeaky clean, but these changes have defiantly made the place a more positive environment for people to enjoy themselves. The club now comprises of blokes from all all walks of life. From the stalwarts from Risdon Vale to PHD students, we all get on.

A reputation is a hard thing to change. As a club we are still trying to better our relations with the junior footy club and the community in general.

And nothing to do with the obscene amounts of money they are paying?

I know this will just be dismissed by you blokes on this forum. Barge - that comment was directed at you.

But it might interest you to know that on the back of the second half of last season, we as a playing group made a commitment to each other that we were going to stick together for another year.

Trust me, some of our players have been approached by other clubs offering obscene amounts per game and declined, to play with their mates. These are amounts that you could possible quite your job over.

Maybe, just maybe, we want to play together.

But the guys who were chased from other clubs Menz - Rainbird and the likes - are you saying you didn't offer them massive amounts of cash?

Full Time at Frankston: Dolphins 23.23-161 defeated Devils 15.5-95

Just thought I'd help my old mate "Cressa" out with a few excuses rehashed from last year he could reuse

"There is no doubt we had the momentum, but from then being only five points down and losing by six goals is what we have been doing all year.
"It is a concentration thing and we are not getting much out of our Kangaroos-listed(insert recruits here) players at the moment."

"We just haven't been able to finish games off, which is a learning thing with a young group," Cresswell said.
"Maybe we do have a loss of confidence in those situations.
"Basically, we assessed the season, where we need to improve and make sure there are actions not just words.

"We have made a lot of changes and we are a very young side, there is no question about that.
"I am very frustrated because we play some very good footy and we can mix it with anyone at certain stages of the game.
"We just haven't got the players who are able to sustain their efforts and we have just got to develop and get players in who can do that. At the moment we are not doing that, so my job is to make sure I uncover these players or get players fit enough to play at the level.
"That is my responsibility and that is what I will be doing over the next period of time."

"It was very disappointing. All the things we did well last week weren't there today," Cresswell said.
"We have been making silly little errors all year and our turnovers cost us goals.
"In the third quarter our accountability, courage to run, all the basic things we have been working on went out the window.

"The problem is now obvious," he said.
"We're not fit enough. We're miles away from other teams in terms of fitness and it's really showing in the second half of games.
"We don't train together enough and that makes it really hard to develop any real continuity," he said.

"Heads will roll - that's a given," Cresswell said

"I'm not sure if it is a fitness or a mental thing. We just didn't give a yell when we needed to," he said.
Cresswell admitted his defence was another problem area.

Cresswell is coming to the end of his tether with players that won't stick to the game plan.
"It was quite obvious that we got outworked by a team that was desperate, that was fit and can run," he said.
"We have to find players who can play that type of footy.
"We've got players out there who can't run, won't run and can't play the style of footy we want to play.
"I can tolerate blokes who make honest mistakes, but I won't tolerate non-honest efforts, and I think we found a few of them tonight."
Cresswell said he had not lost heart. "I think we can still play finals footy," he said

"We are starting to turn the corner. There is no crisis just yet. We have just got to win a game and shortly we will win a game and the guys will get a lot of confidence."
"There is no passion, there is no spirit, none at all and no one is creating it.

Just to end with a few famous quotes he could plagiarise.
Our primary goal is to have fun. We will focus all our effort on this goal
On this team, we are all united in a common goal: to keep my job.
-- Lou Holtz
We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. I just can't figure out where else to play!
-- Pat Williams

For a decade the Lindisfarne football club were a rabble, loosing every game it played by cricket scores. Their supporters were well known to spray the abuse and other bodily functions from the balcony at every opportunity, especially when the opposition team was leaving the ground to enter the change rooms

A rabble for a decade? Whilst things were pretty grim for quite a few years, a decade is quite the exageration. In 1997 they finished 2nd or 3rd on the ladder only to go out in straight sets.

A decade would take us up to now.

I seem to recall Claremont being subjected to the "abuse and bodily functions" that you mention as recently as 2005 when they upset Lindisfarne at Anzac Park.

Menza said:
I know this will just be dismissed by you blokes on this forum. Barge - that comment was directed at you.

But I didn't say a word! Jumping to the conclusion that I would air my opinions straight away?

Without naming names, one Lindisfarne player told me pre-season that they were only playing there because QUOTE "They're paying me sh.tloads!" UNQUOTE.

His words not mine. In fairness to that player, I won't reveal his identity as I find him to be a good bloke.

Incidentally, what was it that lead to you making the move to Lindisfarne? It's not like it's the closest club to your place!

PS Many Happy Returns for your recent Birthday! ;)

Results and summaries today:
SFL Premier League Round 7 saw Clarence have to hang on for a grittiy 9 point win over Lauderdale at Bellerive, Hobart broke their Boyer hoodoo to get home by 12 points, Glenorchy were untroubled against Kingborough at KGV winning by 102 despite a 6 goal final term by the Tigers and North Hobart belted Brighton by 204 at League HQ.

Thanks for the scores wrap-up 07 :thumbsu:
On my way past North Hobart on Saturday, the Dees led 21.12 (138) to 3.6 (24) over Brighton so they must've got a fair old wriggle on to post what they did - 37.20 (242).
That was about 3:30pm I went past, there were a few people there watching.
That was the third highest score North Hobart's kicked in their 127-year history.
The highest being 37.24 (246) to South Launceston 2.5 (17) in 1991 in the TFL at the same ground and, in 1989 they booted 38.15 (243) to New Norfolk 11.11 (77) up at Boyer in the TFL.

Apparently the Reserves match at Boyer ended up becoming a huge all-in pile up after New Norfolk got beaten.
Might be a bit to come out of that game, apparently even some of the Hobart bench staff went out there to fly the flag, so I heard. :p
Whether that's entirely accurate or a bit of truth stretching, I dunno.
But for their seniors it was an important win, their second win out there since 1993.
Sportstalk07 said:
a broken leg to Saints player Todd Crane soured George Town's win over Hillwood by 42.
Is it true that the final score from that game was 7.8 (50) to 1.2 (8)?
That's what the Mercury was showing and I'm looking at it thinking WTF?
Given that there weren't any other low scoring games like that up there, looked like hardly anyone scored after quarter time if the results in the paper are to be believed.
Just seemed a bit odd.

Is it true that the final score from that game was 7.8 (50) to 1.2 (8)?
That's what the Mercury was showing and I'm looking at it thinking WTF?
Given that there weren't any other low scoring games like that up there, looked like hardly anyone scored after quarter time if the results in the paper are to be believed.
Just seemed a bit odd.
Evidently the game was called off at half-time. Crane and Hillwoods McLean collided and both sustained injuries. The Examiner says that with a 45 minute wait for an ambulance both sides agreed to end the game at half-time.

I laughed when i saw that Allen Haw kicked 20 in the 2's for Dodges, and they put him 6th in the best players. Shows 2 things: How much he is (dis)liked at the club, and how much of a wasted talent he is. Would have the highest kick to handball ratio in the game. One of the freakiest players I have ever seen, and have had the pleasure fo trying to tag him a couple of times, nigh on impossible when on song....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back