Votes: 27 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tassie Nutters - very appropriate from what I’ve seen

Tassie Torps - why not

Tassie Commandos - undies optional

The Apple Isle Munchers - my personal favorite

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Lol this thread is so unhinged and hostile and it’s simply discussing the name, LOVE IT

1) Tasmania Devils feels like the winner, logical name.

Honourable mentions

2) Tasmania Mariners

3) Tasmania Mavericks (keeping with Suns and Giants being Yankee Doodle names)

Marketing gurus want something "modern and unusual".
This is why the Giants strip is so poor. If They want to get the Tassie people on board, then they cannot treat them like Western Sydney imbeciles.Tasmanian fans will really care about this club, 154 years of Aussie Rules history is already there and they don't wear black and white stripes!

This is why the Giants strip is so poor. If They want to get the Tassie people on board, then they cannot treat them like Western Sydney imbeciles.Tasmanian fans will really care about this club, 154 years of Aussie Rules history is already there and they don't wear black and white stripes!
This clarifies everything.

Would not be surprised if the AFL and marketing consultants choose something other than Devils.

Giants are a good case of what to do re branding (although their stuff does feel a bit ‘corporate’), however GC Suns’ branding sets a very very low bar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marketing gurus want something "modern and unusual".

I don't think that's as much of a thing anymore as it was in say, the 90s. "Power" is an awful product of the 90s when that sort of marketing was more prominent.

The Suns and Giants were both pretty sensible nicknames. Suns is very obvious and Giants is new to AFL footy but old to professional sports. I have no reason to think they won't do the right thing this time. I'd say they'll probably just go with Devils.

I don't think that's as much of a thing anymore as it was in say, the 90s. "Power" is an awful product of the 90s when that sort of marketing was more prominent.

The Suns and Giants were both pretty sensible nicknames. Suns is very obvious and Giants is new to AFL footy but old to professional sports. I have no reason to think they won't do the right thing this time. I'd say they'll probably just go with Devils.
My sarcasm was subtle, admittedly.

For me, there are five good options:

Tasmania Emus
Tasmania Bandicoots
Tasmania Seals
Tasmania Echidnas
Tasmania Awesome (more "modern and unusual")

I like the Bandicoots! Relatively endemic to Tasmania and just sounds good.

Would also have relative widespread appeal, with the Crash Bandicoot series already popularising the animal. One of their more physical players could even earn the "Crash" nickname.

Just make them Tasmania "Devils", have them in bottle green, red and yellow and give the people what they want for a change. For god's sake don't let some smartarse marketing genius get involved and call them the Apples!

Given this has already been included in the official Tasmanian license submissions thus far, I doubt anyone will seek to engage some loony from Saatchi & Saatchi to create anything different. Moreover, enclosed is AFL's registration of the trade mark/logo.

Tasmania_Devils_AFL_team_logo,_2018.jpg DGS-image-1-1024x481.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

TAS Tassie team nickname

Back