Votes: 19 6.0%
  • Devils

Votes: 270 85.4%
  • Tasmanian Tigers

Votes: 27 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmania Thylacines
The problem with Thylacines as a mascot is the embarrassment and shame Tasmanians feel over the fact the last known Thylacine died in Hobart Zoo... of neglect.

Symbolically, for a new football team in an emerging and potentially difficult market, I think there's issues there.

I think Devils will work provided the logo/marketing emphasises that it's the animal, and also because I feel like it's significantly more common to hear/see Melbourne referred to as the Dees than the Demons - but maybe I'm wrong on that.

I think Devils will work provided the logo/marketing emphasises that it's the animal, and also because I feel like it's significantly more common to hear/see Melbourne referred to as the Dees than the Demons - but maybe I'm wrong on that.
Either or. We call them both. I'd have no issue with it. As an dedicated Satanist I'm all in favour of stuff like this. The Brisbane Beelzeebubs, for example. Sydney Satans. Adelaide Asmodians. You get my drift.
Now if only we can get rid of those pesky saints.

Either or. We call them both. I'd have no issue with it. As an dedicated Satanist I'm all in favour of stuff like this. The Brisbane Beelzeebubs, for example. Sydney Satans. Adelaide Asmodians. You get my drift.

Port Adelaide Pazuzus, and we can have years of headlines like 'Is <insert coach> the young priest Port need to exorcise their prelim demons?'

Saints to Fallen Saints?

Outside of Devils, there aren't a lot of animal alternatives.

two things i think of in tassie are the stars when camping or the distilleries...also when camping :p

So Tassie Stars (which sounds lame) or the Distillers (which are also an awesome band)
Dockers v Distillers just sounds like a fight you don't wanna be a part of....or maybe you do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is the tassie coat of arms

depositphotos_180565024-stock-photo-coat-arms-tasmania-australia.jpg

Seems like a red lion, wheat, branch of hops, some apples and some bird liek creature with thunderbolts.

The Tasmania Hopping Apples.

Here is the tassie coat of arms

Seems like a red lion, wheat, branch of hops, some apples and some bird liek creature with thunderbolts.

The Tasmania Hopping Apples.

Tasmania Thunderbirds - blue guernsey with a light blue sash

1648005966642.jpeg

Kangaroos. If they sent South Melbourne off to be a successful interstate franchise, they can do the same with the North

The last 4 teams to join the AFL haven't been named after animals (Giants, Suns, Power, Dockers).

Based on this I'd guess it will be something weather related like the Tasmania Freeze, Tasmania Breakers, Tasmania Blizzards or the Tasmania Souths.

Last edited:
I've thought about this for a long time.

I think Koala is a good team name/mascot. Then maybe you could have a nice, Australian Native Animal Rivalry with North Melbourne Kangaroos who are half-tasmanian anyway.

Otherwise, thinking along the lines of Giants, maybe a little bit further with that mystical Dungeons and Dragons type vibe? Say Tasmania Shadowmages Guild or something to that effect?
So you've got Demons, Giants, and Shadowmages Guild, that's three kind of mystical fantasy mythological teams, that's not enough for a whole Dungeons and Dragons theme round, but it's a start. Maybe all three teams could play eachother over a special weekend or something? Battle of something or other. Get BT to wear Viking Horns while he's commentating.

¯\(ツ)

I'd be happy with either of those two names personally.

If that's the case then why not just have a team all of Bigfooty can get around?

Tasmania Trolls

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

TAS Tassie team nickname

Back