• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Justification for this point. There are some limitations to the theory

Mammals:
  • Lions [cats adapted for hunting]
  • Cats [cats adapted for domestication]
  • Tigers [cats adapted for hunting]
  • Bulldogs [dogs adapted for domestication]
  • Kangaroos [marsupial adapted for cutting grass with teeth and travelling distances]

Wayne Carey likes this.

I think Devils will work provided the logo/marketing emphasises that it's the animal, and also because I feel like it's significantly more common to hear/see Melbourne referred to as the Dees than the Demons - but maybe I'm wrong on that.
I don’t see a drama any Australian knows what a Tasmanian devil Is so I don’t see it causing any confusion or

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not start without one and let one develop organically among fans?
I agree - but the AFL doesn't.

They will overengineer it like they have with Greater Western Sydney and West Coast, trying to appeal to as many people as possible but meaning something to none. It will be named by a marketing team based on feedback from focus groups, and age terribly. Like the Port Power name and colours - the teal color was around the same time the Charlette Hornets were selling a heap of merchandise in the NBA. The AFL follows fads, they don't like things just evolving.

Proably be named The Greater Southern Island Wind, or something equally as stupid.

I agree - but the AFL doesn't.

They will overengineer it like they have with Greater Western Sydney and West Coast, trying to appeal to as many people as possible but meaning something to none. It will be named by a marketing team based on feedback from focus groups, and age terribly. Like the Port Power name and colours - the teal color was around the same time the Charlette Hornets were selling a heap of merchandise in the NBA. The AFL follows fads, they don't like things just evolving.

Proably be named The Greater Southern Island Wind, or something equally as stupid.

My suggestion could be an even bigger marketing tool, handled correctly

But of course they won’t

Last edited:
My suggestion could be an even bigger marketing tool, handled correctly
Agree it would be great. The fact that they have not yet named the WAFL equivalent of the Brownlow and Norm Smith medals gives me a glimmer of hope. I was sure they would jump the gun like the ridiculously named Kevin Sheedy Medal for the GWS B&F.

Remove this Banner Ad

TAS Tassie team nickname

Back