Team Effort

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Great Effort Boys!

In a year or two, Clay Smith will be our Joel Selwood.

Gigantic and unrealistic call. I think he will be a Brad Swell type, which is great.

B: Wood Talia
HB: Tutt Williams Picken
C: Howard Smith Wallace
HF: Cooney Jones Dalhouse
F: Hunter Roughead Panos
R: Cordy Libba Griffen
B: Sherman Higgins

That's the core group I expect to have for the next 3-6 years, add in our draft picks (4-8 range this year, 2-5 next) and it sets us up well.

That 'superstar' needs to come from this draft. Whitfield is the dream but we won't finish last. Stringer is the player I really want to get. That Goddard type who plays everywhere. Then a Kennedy type with a our second pick.

I was away for Easter and caught next to nothing on any of the footy. I did manage to hear the forst 15 mins of the game, and it was looking ugly so when I heard how it panned out I was very impressed and relieved.

I think they also showed great effort against the WCE, they are working hard. I think if they can keep their heads up that they will break through soon.

I'd like to know how much time the resting ruck is spending forward? It's sounds like not much.

I was away for Easter and caught next to nothing on any of the footy. I did manage to hear the forst 15 mins of the game, and it was looking ugly so when I heard how it panned out I was very impressed and relieved.

I think they also showed great effort against the WCE, they are working hard. I think if they can keep their heads up that they will break through soon.

I'd like to know how much time the resting ruck is spending forward? It's sounds like not much.

On the contrary, quite a bit I would say.

Actually I remember Minson's concrete hands spilling a number of marks on Saturday night, and cursing each time!

Relying on a pure resting ruck as our full-forward is a big part of our forward line problems IMO, if we are going with 2 players who are suited to the #1 ruck role, as our rucks.

We would be better off playing with Minson/Roughy as #1 ruck and spending 20% at FF, and Cordy/Campbell as a FF the other 80% of the time.

On the contrary, quite a bit I would say.

Actually I remember Minson's concrete hands spilling a number of marks on Saturday night, and cursing each time!

Relying on a pure resting ruck as our full-forward is a big part of our forward line problems IMO, if we are going with 2 players who are suited to the #1 ruck role, as our rucks.

We would be better off playing with Minson/Roughy as #1 ruck and spending 20% at FF, and Cordy/Campbell as a FF the other 80% of the time.

Thanks JTG, I thought reading between the lines that we were not resting them forward enough, but it's simply that they were not effective as forwards.

I agree we need someone who is a forward rather than rely on the resting rucks, but who? I thought Big Will might have been able to clunk a few more this year, he did it in a couple of NAB games. Roughy I think will be an ok forward eventually and Cordy is probably the better forward of them all but maybe not as good in the ruck.

If these guys do play forward they have to take some grabs otherwise we look pretty average up there with Jones as the main option.

Campbell looks capable forward also maybe he's the one for this year?

I think we are in for a heap of honourable losses this year. Just don't have the firepower up forward.

my sentiments exactly.

Until Panos gets a regular gig, gets his 4-5 kicks and 4-5 goals we will always struggle up forward. Heaping pressure on Jones to be the saviour isnt the way to go.

my sentiments exactly.

Until Panos gets a regular gig, gets his 4-5 kicks and 4-5 goals we will always struggle up forward. Heaping pressure on Jones to be the saviour isnt the way to go.

Agree we need more than Just Jones as a main target and yes I'd love to see Panos get his chance. But I'm not sure at the level as a key position player, that Panos will get enough of it.

He is shaping as a pretty decent half back, maybe lacks a yard in pace, but his work in traffic is good and his use excellant. He has a cool head. So yes, love to see Panos given a chance at the level as a forward and if that does not work out, then as a half back.

Campbell seem the one most likely to impact as a forward this year and perhaps Tommy Hill. But Panos should get his chance.

Only 20 more honourable courageous fighting gritty honest efforts to go before
the superdraft.

No need to tank will only win 5-7 games this year just by having a dip.

Big chance to be be 2 and 10 after 12 rounds, first win v GWS in a few week's
time. Unable to pencil in a home win in the first half of the year with any
confidence.

Even the always positive supporters will get tired of the honourable losses
eventually.

eventually.

Some of us, tried to have sensible, engaging conversations over the pre-season about how the team would struggle this year only to be accused of being pessimistic sad sacks. All we wanted to do was talk football and not buy into the spin from the club(Which it's their job to do!).

I'll be at every single one of the honourable losses in Victoria cheering the team on in the hope of an upset(The best games to be at!).

the superdraft.

confidence.

eventually.
Aren't you a bundle of fun.

the superdraft.

confidence.

eventually.

tend to agree maybe not as strong.. See us winning no more than 8 games this year and to have plenty of honorable losses where fans post threads like this back slapping. Wish I could be so happy after 2 losses in games we arguably had chances to win.

It means little to me though - the fewer games we win the better coming up to the draft. At least we know the crows will finish above us...was also hoping melbourne did (given both teams have 2 picks back to back in round 1) but thats looking highly unlikely. So a finish of say 12th will see us with maybe picks 6 and 7 depending on the demons.

Then we better add some polish to our midfield to improve what is the competitions worst efficiency.

Honestly believe we could be 4 and 4 after round 8
Beat saints, Melbourne GWS
Lose Coll and Norf (though that could go either way)
Win Gold Coast
With regards to Adelaide finishing higher than us, their traded pick to GWS is tied to Adelaides position on the ladder too.
All looking good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the superdraft.

confidence.

eventually.

Don't think it's that bad!

I still think we will win 8 games this year. What I don't want to see, is any utter smashings. Not even against Collingwood or Hawthorn.

Winning 8 games will still see us finish pretty low on the table, but should be enough of that winning feeling to have the club in decent spirits and have the youngsters developing.

TBH, I reckon our young players are really exciting, and with a strong drafting effort this year, we should be really well placed to ascend the ladder again too.

Honestly what is the point on finishing higher this year..

There is nothing wrong with bottoming out for one year to secure higher draft picks.

West coast did it 2 years back and look at them now!

If you don't have a team to challenge for the big one, you're wasting your time.

These years are about building a game plan and putting games into kids to get them ready for when that next time comes.

For me i'd rather finish last then second. No one remembers losers!

I think Macca understands what is required to be successful so i'm backing him in. Sure we'll lose games this year.. But as long as we improve is the most important.
We could be in a Melbourne situation where they're showing no heart on field. We can at least acknowledge the team lost but gave it a go.

Still can't believe we gave away the Harbrow compensation pick for Justin Sherman. Just imagine having 3 1st round picks next season. We have severely paid over the odds for Sherman, which will hurt us in the long term.

the superdraft.

confidence.

eventually.

I get the feeling you have been following the club a loooooooooooooong time ;)

I'm pretty jaded about it all too - it's hard not to be, I can't think of anything or anyone that has caused me more emotional pain than the bulldogs, but really what else can you do?

I'd rather be proud of them having a dip and falling short than being cynical and saying same old dogs, another honourable loss etc.

I don't hold a lot of expectations for this year but I think we will win more than what you say

I also think we can easily win our next two games - starting with a much overdue win against St Kilda (if we lose one more time to these ****s I will be getting much more cynical however)

And Melbourne - seriously, how would you be supporting this mob these days with the selfish, insipid, self interested players they have? Their players at the moment are throwing their toys out of the cot because they have a coach who isn't prepared to put up with their crap. We'll kill them.

I don't get the posts where some are not happy with others on here who are ok about a team going out and playing competitive footy, but still falling short of a win. The alternative is to be uncompetitive and still losing. Then what? Wouldn't that be far far worse?

I have zero interest in draft pics at this time of the year. I want to win every game we can. But I am realistic enough to know where our list is at. I never want or like to lose and I don't accept any loss, but I am always going to be proud of my team trying as hard as they can. We have not been far away in either game and a win is not far away if they keep their heads up.

Let's see how we do against some of the lower ranked teams before we judge too harshly. It's early days. :D

Still can't believe we gave away the Harbrow compensation pick for Justin Sherman. Just imagine having 3 1st round picks next season. We have severely paid over the odds for Sherman, which will hurt us in the long term.

Don't want to be a broken record, but I've been b!tching about that for 18 months now. Was Eade's worst decision (assuming it was his) in his last 3 years, in my view. I just can't believe that any hard-bitten realist could think that the end of the 2010 season was the time to top up.

Insanity. I just hope that in a year or two we aren't still bemoaning the lost opportunity.

I agree tdk. Nothing personal against Sherman but I was disappointed at the time and have always thought that we could have got more with the Harbrow compensation pick if we'd taken the long term view. Unfortunately Eade needed results sooner rather than later.

I know he's just coming back from injury but it's not a good sign that Shermo is whiling away his time in the VFL when we gave away a first round pick for what was supposed to be a ready made and seasoned player. Let's just hope he comes good and proves us both wrong.

PS: Hope Granny's not reading this!

I've been reading this thread all week and have been interested to read Matt's comments (re accepting mediocrity) and the responses ('think before you post Matt', 'team of KIDS', etc).

Yes there were some good signs from the game but I don't think it qualifies as a 'great effort' and reckon Matt has a good point.

From the teams on the weekend...
Total games played:
Bulldogs - 1996
Adelaide - 1849
Both teams had 10 players under 50 games.

So we might have had a team of kids, but so did Adelaide. So for all those who've given Matt a licking for his post, maybe do a bit of comparison first. I think he has a point. Just like when the Bulldogs drew with Richmond a few years back and got clapped off the ground by the Bulldog supporters at the game. To me that screams loser club.

Despite a new coach and a new game plan, IMO as supporters we should have expected our team to beat Adelaide on the weekend. It worries me that we get carried away with 'great' losses to team's who have less experience than us.

Ok, ok, it seems everyone is starting to vent their frustration now. We have played the top team, and a very good away team so far, and have been more than competitive in both games.

We've got two all Australians in Cooney and Lake coming back from horrible 2011's, Ryan Hargrave coming off a bad injury last year too.

'Kids' developing, and our temporary forward line for the last two years (Barry Hall), gone.

New coach and game plan.

That to me says partial 're-build'.

We could potentially, on form, win the next 3 games and be 3-2, after a tough start with the draw.

In reply to the jibe about the supporters that clapped the team off after the draw with Richmond a few years ago, I agree that they are stupid. But, you have to realize something.

Most of those so called supporters that sit around that side of Etihad and some of the cheer squad are pretty ordinary. Most of them haven't a clue.
I actually went around behind the cheer squad and told a lot of them off after the disatrous performance against West Coast the other year when we let them kick the first 10 goals in a match when we were odds on favourites to win, most of the cheer squad cheered them off as usual. I got into a lot of the cheer squad members, saying they accepted mediocrity and that's why we get no where on field as a club.

By the way, the true 'supporters' or at least a good deal of us stand at Aisle 32 on the first level. There is a group of upto 25 of us that have been going to the games for 30-40 years and we are very passionate supporters of the dogs.

We show the so called cheer squad up most weeks, we might only be a small group, but we make a lot of noise!

Very pleased with the signs and the game plan looks good. Add Williams and Morris to that defence and it’s still one of the better backlines in the comp. The midfield is down on form as much as anything – the ability is evident, and I’m sure they will hit their straps soon. The forward line is pathetic, plain and simple. Take Jones out of it and we’d struggle to generate any goals at all IMO. Our kicking from half forward on is a joke. Must play Cordy, Tutt and Skinner as much as possible. Get 15-20 games in to them now while you’ve got the chance.

Stay positive. There is a bit to work with and I reckon we are still in that position 8-14 bracket. Premiership window to re-open post 2013.

I say we line up everyone who can kick over 50m in the middle of the ground, get the ball to them, make sure they run it to around 60, and then kick the goal. That way, we never have to go inside 50 properly :thumbsu:

Genius.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Effort

Remove this Banner Ad

Back