team for 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

I must say I agree with BigCat2, and additionally I don't think Power would play as well in the foward-line as he does in the midfield. Seems to have lost his killer-instinct for goal, and his accuracy IMO.

My reason for moving Power isn't so he can kick 35+ goals. It's more to offer offer us a quality half-forward who can get a reasonable amount of the ball and use it well, as well as being able to apply some defensive pressure through hard running and tackling. That seems to be a requisite of good forward lines at this point in time and we really lack a player of established quality in this role. Power fits the bill very well, I think.

As far as Power goes in the midfield, he may "get the job done", but so does my old 486 100Mghtz when it comes to the basics of the work I need to get done on computer. However, I prefer using my new laptop as it's able to do the job "better" given the requirements of performance. The dial-up 56kpbs midfield has been replaced with a high-speed broadband midfield!

Stating that Power had a hotstreak midseason doesn't cut it for me (I'm not just basing my comments on him perhaps being quieter towards the end of the season). The best midfielders dominate just about every week, bar injury. He may well be our #2 midfielder, but would he be #2 in the Cats, Hawks or Bulldogs midfield? What about the Eagles of a few years ago? What about the Lions teams of 01-04?

It may well be the case that without Power in the middle this year that we would have done worse. But then again, if we'd had a better midfielder instead of him, we may well have done better. We may not have an immediate replacement for Power of similar experience, but we may pick up some decent young talent in the draft and there is also potential for some players already on our list to break into a midfield role (ie: Proud, Sherman, Sheldon, etc.).

Having Power as a half-forward doesn't exclude him from being a part of the midfield rotation. But I just think that if he's to be relied upon as being our #2 midfielder, spending most of his time in this role, then we aren't going to see much improvement and our long-term development will also suffer.

People often comment on the Brown/Bradshaw combination up forward being too predictable and allowing teams to pick us off easily. However, the Black/Power combination in the middle has that feel to it as well, for mine. Black is still amongst the best midfielders in the game, but Power is not, in my opinion. He's still worthy of getting a run in that role at times (as part of the rotations), but I think he would be better used elsewhere with others getting more time in the midfield.

With all this said, Power is of the quality that he COULD well defy what I've said here and have a great year as a full-time midfielder in 2009. But my comments are a reflection of how I feel Power has gone as a midfielder over the last few years.

Have posters considered moving Power to the backline?

In the back line he would provide leadership and the ability to shut down dangerous small forwards - a problem we havent dealt with well in past seasons. While his kicking penetration isn’t great his ball handling and decision making is of a high level. I can see him setting up guys like Drummond and Roe for long runs and kicks into the forward line.

The midfield for next couple of years is going to be about development. And I agree we might have messed Adcock around a bit by placing a lot of pressure on him as key midfielder. However his extraction and penetration from stoppages was so good in 07 I think we have to persist with him in this role rather than move him back to the backline semi-permanently. So Power in the backline means there is more “space” in the midfield for Adcock and others to develop. I also think McDonald should be tried in the mid-field mix. He has the strength to stand up in packs and extract the ball.

Power was great for us as a small forward early in his career, but I think we have to try to get Hooper back to his 07 form and I am not as down on McGrath as a number of other posters. I think he can play the defensive small forward role and be more value to the side as a forward than as a back. In terms of opening up options in the forward line, I think we need a more mobile marking target. Some like Ryan O’Keefe rather than another small forward.

But then I know nothing about football.

Have posters considered moving Power to the backline?

In the back line he would provide leadership and the ability to shut down dangerous small forwards - a problem we havent dealt with well in past seasons. While his kicking penetration isn’t great his ball handling and decision making is of a high level. I can see him setting up guys like Drummond and Roe for long runs and kicks into the forward line.

The midfield for next couple of years is going to be about development. And I agree we might have messed Adcock around a bit by placing a lot of pressure on him as key midfielder. However his extraction and penetration from stoppages was so good in 07 I think we have to persist with him in this role rather than move him back to the backline semi-permanently. So Power in the backline means there is more “space” in the midfield for Adcock and others to develop. I also think McDonald should be tried in the mid-field mix. He has the strength to stand up in packs and extract the ball.

Power was great for us as a small forward early in his career, but I think we have to try to get Hooper back to his 07 form and I am not as down on McGrath as a number of other posters. I think he can play the defensive small forward role and be more value to the side as a forward than as a back. In terms of opening up options in the forward line, I think we need a more mobile marking target. Some like Ryan O’Keefe rather than another small forward.

But then I know nothing about football.

Power spent a little bit of time down back this year. My pervading memories of that are some very, very costly turnovers.

Yes BigCat2 I was thinking Scott Clouston too but didnt want to mozze him by mentioning his name.

And I forgot Luke was our only player to make a costly mistake in the back line last year. At my age the memory plays tricks. Did he play in the back half in the 03 Grand final?

And I forgot Luke was our only player to make a costly mistake in the back line last year.

He just seems to lack penetration in his kicks these days, thats the problem. Have not seen him kick more than 30 metres.

If we are going to take chances moving it out of defence, I'd rather it be in the hands of a player that can roost it 60 metres like Drummond (or Ziebell :D).

He just seems to lack penetration in his kicks these days, thats the problem. Have not seen him kick more than 30 metres.

If we are going to take chances moving it out of defence, I'd rather it be in the hands of a player that can roost it 60 metres like Drummond (or Ziebell :D).

Have a feeling Luke's lack of kicking penetration was due to an injury to his sternum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drummond, Merrett, Hawksley
Clark, Patfull, Macdonald
Dalziell, Brennan, Johnstone
Clouston, Brown, Power
Davis, Bradshaw, Adcock

Charman, Black Cousins

Leuenberger, Rischitelli, McGrath, Proud

The advantages of having Power down back are:

- Bringing a cool head and leadership to what is a very inexperienced back half.

- The ability to read play better than most.

- The ability to release those with the 60 metre roosts (ie Drummo can run off his man when Power has the ball, knowing that a turnover is unlikely)

- The ability to bring play back through the corridor with accurate disposal.

I actually think he is better suited down back than up forward at this stage of his career. The possible recruitment of Cousins and/or Davis gives further weight to that. It is the role that Ashcroft played well late in his career. Perhaps not straight away, but I can see a lot of merit in Power lining up on the half back flank. Ideally, the move can be facilitate earlier rather than later as the young midfielders step up to the standard expected of an AFL onballer - as with this time last year, we have virtually the same question mark on our side.

On those couple of turnovers from last season, I suspect the reason why we remember them is 1) because they happened at inopportune times and 2) because they were so unexpected for a bloke who rarely misses his target.

This will throw a cat amongst the pigeons, or maybe a lion with a cat, but anyhow here is my team,

Patfull
Bradshaw
Black
Henderson
Brown
That's right folks , no Merret, the rest is a work in progress. Will fill the blanks in as the pre season progresses.

The advantages of having Power down back are:

- Bringing a cool head and leadership to what is a very inexperienced back half.

- The ability to read play better than most.

- The ability to release those with the 60 metre roosts (ie Drummo can run off his man when Power has the ball, knowing that a turnover is unlikely)

- The ability to bring play back through the corridor with accurate disposal.

I actually think he is better suited down back than up forward at this stage of his career. The possible recruitment of Cousins and/or Davis gives further weight to that. It is the role that Ashcroft played well late in his career. Perhaps not straight away, but I can see a lot of merit in Power lining up on the half back flank. Ideally, the move can be facilitate earlier rather than later as the young midfielders step up to the standard expected of an AFL onballer - as with this time last year, we have virtually the same question mark on our side.

On those couple of turnovers from last season, I suspect the reason why we remember them is 1) because they happened at inopportune times and 2) because they were so unexpected for a bloke who rarely misses his target.

Some fair points POBT.

My Round 1, 2009 Team:

B: J. Adcock, D. Merrett, J. Drummond
HB: J. Macdonald, J. Patfull, J. Roe
C: B. Dalziell, S. Black, J. Brennan
HF: T. Johnstone, J. Brown, M. Clark
F: N. Davis, D. Bradshaw, R. Hooper

R: J. Charman, M. Rischitelli, L. Power

I/C: M. Leuenberger, J. Hawksley, A. McGrath, J. Sherman

EMER: T. Notting, L. Henderson, S. Clouston, T. Selwood

This will throw a cat amongst the pigeons, or maybe a lion with a cat, but anyhow here is my team,

Patfull
Bradshaw
Black
Henderson
Brown
That's right folks , no Merret, the rest is a work in progress. Will fill the blanks in as the pre season progresses.

Funny that - I've been thinking for the past few weeks that, under Voss, Merrett might be in a bit of trouble. Given Voss's apparent preference for footballers over converted athletes, I thought that Merrett is currently only half a backman, in the same way that Davis is only half a forward ie both struggle to do the respective offensive and defensive bits that are expected these days, although both are terrific at their primary function.

I'd hate to see Merrett go - he's a favorite of mine - but I hope for his sake that he can start developing a bit more damaging run out of the backline pdq.

Otherwise, there's starting to develop a few large young footballers that would be only too happy to slot in at fullback.

As for Nick Davis, I reckon he'll have to do a lot of convincing that he's prepared to knuckle down and chase. The last couple of years have seen the ball rebounding far too quickly out of Brisbane's forward lines for it to be allowed to carry another passenger in Davis' mould.

Now that the playing list is finalised:

Drummond, Merrett, Hawksley
Clark, Patfull, Macdonald
Dalziell, Brennan, Rischitelli
Johhstone, Brown, Clouston
McGrath, Bradshaw, Adcock

Charman, Black Power

Leuenberger, Sherman, Proud, Collier

IN: Rich
OUT: Sherman

FB: Patfull Merrett Drummond
HB: MacDonald Clark Adcock