team v geelong in Darwin

Remove this Banner Ad

This line of reasoning probably won't be popular but I reckon it's a joke that the AFL has not relocated this game back to Adelaide or a Melbourne venue. I'm all for promoting the game around the country, but not putting players lives at risk to do it. The AFL has pulled regional venues in the past because the condition of an oval hasn't been up to scratch, but they've sent two teams into lightning and thunder conditions not only to play but having to fly there during storms. We're talking the elite level of the sport here, with millions and millions of dollars invested in these players. And it's not as if the conditions have suddenly descended as a surprise. Surely if there's going to be lightning storms during the game, they won't go ahead with it? And if the conditions clear for the game, that's just sheer dumb luck, nothing to do with making a judgement based on conditions.

This line of reasoning probably won't be popular but I reckon it's a joke that the AFL has not relocated this game back to Adelaide or a Melbourne venue. I'm all for promoting the game around the country, but not putting players lives at risk to do it. The AFL has pulled regional venues in the past because the condition of an oval hasn't been up to scratch, but they've sent two teams into lightning and thunder conditions not only to play but having to fly there during storms. We're talking the elite level of the sport here, with millions and millions of dollars invested in these players. And it's not as if the conditions have suddenly descended as a surprise. Surely if there's going to be lightning storms during the game, they won't go ahead with it? And if the conditions clear for the game, that's just sheer dumb luck, nothing to do with making a judgement based on conditions.

Too sane. They still could organise a Sunday game down here somewhere. It did seem kind of odd that a plane could land, but (apparently) safety rules at the airport deemed that no one could go out to get the passengers out of the plane. Of course, the AFL should give DK & Co. return tickets if they relocate the game.

According to the Geelong CEO they had a long trip.
They left at 5am but got stuck on the highway into Melbourne due to an overturned truck. The plane was delayed in Melbourne, then the plane got delayed in Alice Springs and once they finally got to darwin they had to do circle work with the plane before being stuck on the tarmac.
All up it was 5am to 5pm before they got out of the plane in Darwin. :eek:

Anyway the storm was a good one but not as bad as some of the news reports are making it out to be.
On a scale of 0-10 for up here it was probably a 6.5 to 7.5 only. :)
It will probably clear by tomorrow night now and all it takes is for it not to rain for 2 to 3 hours for the ground to be in tip top shape again as the drainage is made for tropical conditions.

Remove this Banner Ad

team v geelong in Darwin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back