Team vs Doggies - Who should be in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable with O'Bree and Ball in the same midfield against the Dogs and their pace.

One of Ball and O'Bree would have to be benched and rotating with the other if it is to work. One of Ball/O'Bree missing isn't something I'd call insane.

Agree with what you're saying, but considering they will both most likely play, I think it'll be Beams and Sidebottom who are affected by it.

I can't see those four blokes all playing against the Dogs.

No on Brown? I'm not saying he was spectacular, just that he wasn't the ****-up people make him out to be. Serviceable is the word I'm looking for.
No as in NO you are not alone to think he was more than servicable last season.
Personally I think we would have been less of a side without him.
True he is not a star, but he was extremely reliable and did every task asked of him.

B: Goldsack, Prestigiacomo, Toovey
HB: Shaw, Maxwell, O'Brien
C: Thomas, Pendlebury, Beams
R: Jolly, Ball, Swan
HF: Davis, Cloke, Didak
F: Medhurst, Anthony, Fraser
I/C: Sidebottom, Lockyer, O'Bree, Dawes

Emg: L. Brown, Wellingham, Buckley

Why? I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable with O'Bree and Ball in the same midfield against the Dogs and their pace.

One of Ball and O'Bree would have to be benched and rotating with the other if it is to work. One of Ball/O'Bree missing isn't something I'd call insane.
I would we need one or the other to stop the bulldogs getting an extreme advantage at the stoppage.

Neither are going to play 100% game time, and we need 1 or the other to provide stoppage coverage 100%.

Basically they will be used to help curb Boyd and Cross

Can't belive the constant underrating of O'bree plays his role week in week out and as soon as we play a bad game he he is the first one blamed. He is in the leadership group and last year continued to play his role well unless he puts in a few shockers and the youth well and truly overtake him he has to be in.

Can't belive the constant underrating of O'bree plays his role week in week out and as soon as we play a bad game he he is the first one blamed. He is in the leadership group and last year continued to play his role well unless he puts in a few shockers and the youth well and truly overtake him he has to be in.

What Captain Turnover

What Captain Turnover
Dave dave dave

He is a defensive inside mid that has played 200 games, hopefully he will be passed by this year but it hasnt happened yet trust me

I would we need one or the other to stop the bulldogs getting an extreme advantage at the stoppage.

Neither are going to play 100% game time, and we need 1 or the other to provide stoppage coverage 100%.

Basically they will be used to help curb Boyd and Cross

O'Bree is many things, but a stopper in any way, shape or form he is not. Don't be deceived by the tackle count.

And it's one thing to say they won't get 100% GT...but for them not to be in the middle together they'd need to each get 50%, since neither can play anywhere else.

Neither will miss since it would look bad either way, but I essentially agree with Smiddazz - it'd be in the interest of the team if one of them was left out.

My 22 for Rd 1:

Toovey - Presti - O'Brien
Reid - Maxwell - Shaw

Thomas - Pendlebury - Swan
Jolly - Ball - Davis

Didak - Cloke - Lockyer
Medurst - Anthony - Macaffer

Int: Beams - O'Bree - L.Brown - Goldsack/Wellingham (pick 'em)

B: Toovey Presti O'brien
HB: Shaw L.Brown Maxwell
C: Lockyer Swan Johnson
HF: Didak Cloke Davis
FF: Medhurst Anthony Rusling

C: Jolly Pendlebury Beams

(now the hard bit)
Bench: Fraser, Thomas, O'Bree, Ball

Emg. Reid, Sidebottom, Buckley

That was bloody hard lol.

O'Bree is many things, but a stopper in any way, shape or form he is not. Don't be deceived by the tackle count.

And it's one thing to say they won't get 100% GT...but for them not to be in the middle together they'd need to each get 50%, since neither can play anywhere else.

Neither will miss since it would look bad either way, but I essentially agree with Smiddazz - it'd be in the interest of the team if one of them was left out.

My 22 for Rd 1:

Toovey - Presti - O'Brien
Reid - Maxwell - Shaw

Thomas - Pendlebury - Swan
Jolly - Ball - Davis

Didak - Cloke - Lockyer
Medurst - Anthony - Macaffer

Int: Beams - O'Bree - L.Brown - Goldsack/Wellingham (pick 'em)

mdc, you've got no Fraser ( I guess L Brown your back up ruckman) and no Johnson, both of whom MM will very likely play?

( Actually, are we picking the 22 we think MM will put on the park or the 22 we'd individually like to see take the park??)

I was thinking the former with above comments...I'd be interested to know which slant you took? Also, has Reid got a match-up with this ultra quick team?

mdc, you've got no Fraser ( I guess L Brown your back up ruckman) and no Johnson, both of whom MM will very likely play?

( Actually, are we picking the 22 we think MM will put on the park or the 22 we'd individually like to see take the park??)

I was thinking the former with above comments...I'd be interested to know which slant you took? Also, has Reid got a match-up with this ultra quick team?

Mine's somewhere in between. It's not the most likely team, but it's the one I'd like that is at least somewhat realistic. To answer your qns;

- Johnson I simply don't rate at all.
- Fraser...basically if Jolly is going to ruck 75-80%, I'd rather have Leigh Brown's toughness, defensive pressure and flexibility than Fraser's slightly better rucking.
- As for Reid, dont' see why quickness would be a problem - the guy is very quick. I'd be happy to see him play on Everitt or Rob Murphy, and if neither are down there, I'd even be tempted to play Reid on the wing. Basically, in theory Reid should flourish in open games, so we may as well find out where he's at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can easily see 20 players who are going to be selected;

Back: Toovey, Presti, Maxwell

HB: Shaw, O'Brien, ????

C: Didak, Pendlebury, Swan

HF: Cloke, Lockyer, Thomas

F: Davis, Anthony, Medhurst

Foll: Jolly, Ball, O'Bree

Int: Beams, Fraser, L.Brown, ????

That leaves me with 2 (????) areas for inclusions, with the following players in contention;

* Sidebottom
* Reid
* McCarthy
* MaCaffer
* Goldsack
* Wellingham

Out of those obviously 2 come in, and considering who we are playing, I would go Wellingham and McCarthy, but I believe MM will go MaCaffer and Reid or Goldsack.

I can't see Fraser or Leigh Brown being left out, and people should remember this isn't the same Bulldgos side from 3 years ago that would run you off your feet, it's a tougher, slower, older version that relies on quick movement of the ball and clearance wins rather then foot speed.

Tough to pick a final 22, but remember Thursday night there will be 25 picked, and one thing's for sure about 8 of those players could be changed in or out of the side.

(Damn I hope I didn't forget anyone in my 22)

The other thing I'll say is I cannot remember a time under MM when we genuinely had about 28-30 players to choose from for round 1, our depth is staggering considering Dick, Wood and Rusling would be in contention if not for injuries and no real pre season (Rusling).

Mine's somewhere in between. It's not the most likely team, but it's the one I'd like that is at least somewhat realistic. To answer your qns;

- Fraser...basically if Jolly is going to ruck 75-80%, I'd rather have Leigh Brown's toughness, defensive pressure and flexibility than Fraser's slightly better rucking.
- As for Reid, dont' see why quickness would be a problem - the guy is very quick. I'd be happy to see him play on Everitt or Rob Murphy, and if neither are down there, I'd even be tempted to play Reid on the wing. Basically, in theory Reid should flourish in open games, so we may as well find out where he's at.

Yeah, Johnson I think has probably been overtaken by Beams, Toovs, Sidebottom, maybe JMAc aswell, depending where you were going to play him. ( I betcha he plays though!)

Very good logic re L Brown over Fraser..hell, imagine if Presti went down or else if Barry was on fire, or needed double teaming..def want L Brown then.

Reid, yes get that too. Esp maybe if Hahn is going to play, and I was forgetting his pace..I just know him as a big guy and haven't seen him play too much, hence don't intuitively think of him as quick.

Thanks for ur thoughts.

MDC, i continue to struggle with your massive over-rating of Macaffer and underrating of Johnson, but we've had that argument.

Fraser is a better forward option than brown - more height, greater marking ability and class in general.

Agree with you on Reid, not sure if he will get a game or not but i'm a huge wrap for him and hope he gets his opportunities sooner rather than later.

Another reason why we need Leigh Brown (and while he is a cert to play) is Will Minson.

If Minson goes forward, we would need to send Leeroy down back to cover him, as Harry, Maxy etc are not tall enough to cope with him.

But the Dogs' could also have a problem if we send Brown or Jolly forward, adding to Fraser, Cloke and Anthony up forward.

We have to pick a team to win, not to hold them, you can't hold the dogs, you have to beat them like we did in the first game last year when we were 7 goals up thanks mainly to Leon who was on fire.

This is my team for round 1 against the dogs

FB: Toovey Presti Goldsack

HB: O'brien Maxwell Shaw

C: Beams Swan Didak

HF: Thomas Cloke Davis

FF: Medhurst Anthony Lockyer

FOLL: Jolly Ball Pendles

INT: Fraser L.Brown Sidebottom O'bree

Another reason why we need Leigh Brown (and while he is a cert to play) is Will Minson.

If Minson goes forward, we would need to send Leeroy down back to cover him, as Harry, Maxy etc are not tall enough to cope with him.

But the Dogs' could also have a problem if we send Brown or Jolly forward, adding to Fraser, Cloke and Anthony up forward.

We have to pick a team to win, not to hold them, you can't hold the dogs, you have to beat them like we did in the first game last year when we were 7 goals up thanks mainly to Leon who was on fire.

Would you play both Reid and Brown?

Reid is mobile, he can play on a Josh Hill type and also Minson/Hudson, so he is versatile in that way. With Fraser and Jolly up forward and in the ruck, is there room for Brown? At the moment I'm leaning towards Reid, however Brown is a certainty for round 2 if he doesn't play.

Reid is mobile, he can play on a Josh Hill type and also Minson/Hudson, so he is versatile in that way. With Fraser and Jolly up forward and in the ruck, is there room for Brown? At the moment I'm leaning towards Reid, however Brown is a certainty for round 2 if he doesn't play.
lack of experience, minson will tear him a knew one, prefer leeroy in this particular game, with the bigger forwards.

I think this is what it comes down to.

Pick Wellingham or McCarthy;

and

Pick Leigh Brown or Reid.

My 2 choices would be Wellingham and Brown, as much as I love the future of Reid and j-mac.

Brown just gives us more flexibilty, Reid can only play 1 position at AFL level and even at CHB he hasn't been tested under pressure.

J-MAC to me needs more game time to add to the mid rotation, as Wellingham is already there, although with a little less raw talent then J-MAC.

Long term (maybe even with 4-5 weeks) both Reid and J-MAC are in our best 22, but not this week for mine.

We are all guessing though, some of us will be right, because I think we have gone through just about every probable team lineup in this thread.

Wellingham and L Brown will play

Reid and N Brown probably not...Reid 50/50

Only 2 of Sidey Beams Johnson J-Mac will play IMO

I reckon I have figured out MM after all these years

Remove this Banner Ad

Team vs Doggies - Who should be in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back