Unofficial Preview Teams Announced - NAB Challenge West Coast Versus Fremantle 18/2/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Pavlich in the middle wasn't a failure when he was Darlings age also West Coast have other tall forward options that we didn't have when Pavlich went into the middle. Pavlich wasn't a shit midfielder, we were just robbing Peter to pay Paul.
And that other tall forward (Kennedy) will now have a lot more focus on him , by opposition defences and through West Coasts forward entries. I would expect a lower output from him if Darling does move in to the middle, which itself is robbing Peter to play Paul.

And that other tall forward (Kennedy) will now have a lot more focus on him , by opposition defences and through West Coasts forward entries. I would expect a lower output from him if Darling does move in to the middle, which itself is robbing Peter to play Paul.

They have other optionS, not just Kennedy.

McGovern, Tunbridge, Cox / Natanui for example.

Not sure you heard me. I said that the addition of those players do not give them what they lack - big bodied midfielders. Pretty sure that on that point I'm 100% right.

Big bodied midfielders is just a buzz word of the moment. Freo fans love it. Hawthorns midfield did a pretty good job against us and they have more than their fair share of short mids.

I was speaking more of the home and. Away season than this game. McGovern wouldn't play much, and Tunbridge is playing as a midfielder.

So was I?

Cox / Naitanui as a resting ruck will be more potent than any of our resting ruck options (aside from Keplar / Gumby if we decide to go that way).

Kennedy Cox / Naitanui Hill is exactly the forward structure we lined up with last year. 1 legitimate KPF, 1 resting ruck and 1 third tall.

I think McGovern / Tunbridge could come in also.

So was I?

Cox / Naitanui as a resting ruck will be more potent than any of our resting ruck options (aside from Keplar / Gumby if we decide to go that way).

Kennedy Cox / Naitanui Hill is exactly the forward structure we lined up with last year. 1 legitimate KPF, 1 resting ruck and 1 third tall.

I think McGovern / Tunbridge could come in also.
Naitanui has to get over injuries. Hill is very inconsistent. Then in the midfield Sheed and Darling are unproven. And they are small, plus the ducking rule will cost them a goal or two a game. They also have lots of one way runners.

I expect the Eagles to make the 8, but that would be it.

Naitanui has to get over injuries. Hill is very inconsistent. Then in the midfield Sheed and Darling are unproven. And they are small, plus the ducking rule will cost them a goal or two a game. They also have lots of one way runners.

I expect the Eagles to make the 8, but that would be it.

Hill averaged 0.1 goals a game less than Mayne last year. Sheed and Darling being unproven is the entire point of my first post, Pretty hard to write them off when they are unproven right? Small means nothing.

Big bodied midfielders is just a buzz word of the moment. Freo fans love it. Hawthorns midfield did a pretty good job against us and they have more than their fair share of short mids.

No it isn't. It is what the top teams have. Hawthorn do have short mids, but they also have big bodied players in Hodge and Lewis.

Hill averaged 0.1 goals a game less than Mayne last year. Sheed and Darling being unproven is the entire point of my first post, Pretty hard to write them off when they are unproven right? Small means nothing.

Why are you comparing Mayne with Hill? Mayne is first and foremost a defensive forward. The best in the competition according to Champion Data.

They both play as a third tall. You said Hill was inconsistent and he barely scored less than our third tall and he played for a team that won less games.

I never said anything of the sort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge and Lewis?

So you are saying that top teams have 1 big bodied mid and a big bodied HBFer?

Also Lewis is 186 and 90

Seriously dude, it is the definition of a buzzword.

Let me help you friend. 186 and 90 is big bodied. BTW, both Lewis and Hodge both play as inside midfielders.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-16/nab-challenge-squads-freo-v-west-coast

WEST COAST
1. Mitch Brown, 2. Mark LeCras, 4. Dom Sheed, 5. Brad Sheppard, 6. Elliott Yeo, 7. Chris Masten, 10. Scott Selwood, 11. Matt Priddis, 12. Sharrod Wellingham, 13. Luke Shuey, 15. Jamie Cripps, 16. Eric MacKenzie, 17. Josh Kennedy, 18. Xavier Ellis, 20. Dean Cox, 22. Callum Sinclair, 23. Darren Glass, 24. Matt Rosa, 25. Shannon Hurn, 26. Sam Butler, 27. Jack Darling, 29. Scott Lycett, 31. Will Schofield, 32. Simon Tunbridge, 33. Josh Hill, 34. Mark Hutchings, 35. Patrick McGinnity, 38. Murray Newman, 44. Jamie Bennell

FREMANTLE
1. Hayden Ballantyne, 3. Zac Dawson, 4. Colin Sylvia, 6. Danyle Pearce, 7. Nat Fyfe, 9. Matt de Boer, 10. Michael Walters, 11. Tommy Sheridan, 13. Tendai Mzungu, 14. Josh Simpson, 16. David Mundy, 17. Hayden Crozier, 18. Luke McPharlin, 19. Scott Gumbleton, 20. Matt Taberner, 21. Michael Barlow, 22. Tanner Smith, 24. Max Duffy, 25. Alex Pearce, 27. Lachie Neale, 29. Matthew Pavlich, 31. Aaron Sandilands, 32. Stephen Hill, 34. Lee Spurr, 37. Michael Johnson, 38. Jack Hannath, 39. Sam Menegola, 41. Paul Duffield, 46. Clancee Pearce.

Initial squads of 29 announced, cut down to 26 tomorrow.

6 players on the bench and 2 subs.

be exciting to see how Sylvia and Gumbleton go

Had 5 games where he did not score a goal last year, all of them losses. Chris Mayne had 2, Freo won both matches. Hill scored 3 goals on 5 occasions, Mayne 3 times. Hill had 71 less marks than Mayne, despite being a 'third tall'.

Hill is inconsistent, and more a crumber than a 3rd tall.

This game is very much "not like" the Western Bulldogs game last year .
Pav fit and the closest thing to best 22 for a NAB Cup sounds like RTB wants to really give the fans a look at just how powerful we will be this year .
Gumbelton vs Glass or Schofield could be interesting and Silvia vs Hurn should be a good test for where both players are at .
Neither team wants injuries at this time of year so I wouldn't expect any real fireworks ,just a little push and shove maybe .

Shuey and Waters are basically in the same mold.

Whats your point again?

No, Shuey is 183 and 88 and doesn't play as an inside midfielder. Waters is a defender.

My points are (1) that West Coast have no inside big bodied midfielders and (2) this is a factor that characterises the top sides.

I don't think Tanner Smith will play after the intra club game but I can't wait for the call A Pearce passes the ball to D Pearce who drills a 60 metre bullet pass to C Pearce who goals .

They both play as a third tall. You said Hill was inconsistent and he barely scored less than our third tall and he played for a team that won less games.
Mayne played a lot of last year as our number one forward due to injuries to Pav/Sandi/Griff/Clarke. Mayne doesn't need to kick goals to have an impact on a match whereas J. Hill does, because he provides nothing else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Teams Announced - NAB Challenge West Coast Versus Fremantle 18/2/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Back