Unofficial Preview Teams Announced - NAB Challenge West Coast Versus Fremantle 18/2/14

Remove this Banner Ad

All this "you guys have no one worth tagging" is going to look pretty stupid this year. Hopefully I'm wrong, but their midfield won't look too bad this year imo. Sheed looks the goods straight out, Wellingham Shuey and Selwood aren't exactly crap and Gaff can be very damaging also.

Are you serious? West Coast's list is abysmal, and they were lucky to finish 10th last year thanks mostly to generous umpiring. With the no ducking rule in place, their midfield got worse. Unless Xavier Ellis turns out to be G Ablett the 3rd, West Coast will be lucky to make the top 10 again.

No, Shuey is 183 and 88 and doesn't play as an inside midfielder. Waters is a defender.

My points are (1) that West Coast have no inside big bodied midfielders and (2) this is a factor that characterises the top sides.
Shuey is practically the definition of an inside mid I thought? His clearance work is the highlight of his game.

Are you serious? West Coast's list is abysmal, and they were lucky to finish 10th last year thanks mostly to generous umpiring. With the no ducking rule in place, their midfield got worse. Unless Xavier Ellis turns out to be G Ablett the 3rd, West Coast will be lucky to make the top 10 again.

Hasn't really changed all that much from 2012 from a best 22 perspective. They made a prelim that year i think?

Your argument is pretty lame pointing to the ducking rule as a reason they will struggle in the midfield. Just sounds uneducated. Take your purple glasses off and look at it objectively.

It's cringeworthy the way some of the freo supporters are posting in here.

Lyon doesnt even take the pre-season seriously, WC always premiership contenders early on in the year, with a new coach, and plenty to prove against the previous grand finalist, they will come out firing.
They have a top four forward line, and with the improvement of skills, gameplan, should be a cracker of a game.
Under Woosh they were treading water, Simpson will demand better execution, and less turnovers, they wont butcher the ball so much.

It's true that Freo haven't achieved anything yet, and we shouldn't count our chickens.

But I'm damned if I'm going to give any respect to those pricks down the road. They have taken playing for frees to a sickening new level. I reckon their performance in 2012 was the aberration, and unless their new coach can hit the ground running with a new game style, they are just as stuffed this year as last year. Which would be good.

Too many freagles on here, methinks.

I have watched all the NAB Challenge games thus far and the blow out games have been the ones in which one team plays their likely starting line up for round one, whilst the other team plays their kids and depth only players.

I have an idea that the AFL will change the rules on this because the blow out games, like the Brisbane v Hawks and Port V Crows matches ,were horrible to watch on TV and the people who attend these games don't want to pay to see a one sided match in which one coach is fine tuning the squad for round one, whilst the other coach is experimenting with kids or playing other players out of position.

The only games worth watching so far have been Richmond V Melbourne, Cats V Pies, North V Carlton (last quarter only).

I think our game on Tuesday will be a lot closer than some on here are suggesting, and here's why.

1- The Eagles have named their best side available, which suggests that they are taking this game pretty seriously.
2- The Eagles have a new coach and a new attitude (just like Melbourne) and they will want to win their fans and the media back after a disastrous year last season.
3- The Eagles started their pre-season 4 weeks before we did because they didn't make the finals and we played off in a GF.
4- RTB never takes the pre-season comp seriously. After all, the Eagles beat us in the NAB Cup last year and look what happened after that.

Last edited:

That's why they finished 13th then.

I don't think Tanner Smith will play after the intra club game but I can't wait for the call A Pearce passes the ball to D Pearce who drills a 60 metre bullet pass to C Pearce who goals .

You funny man Coulda.
You know it would be APearce who kicks the goal. ;)
Mayne played a lot of last year as our number one forward due to injuries to Pav/Sandi/Griff/Clarke. Mayne doesn't need to kick goals to have an impact on a match whereas J. Hill does, because he provides nothing else.

Josh Hill would not get a game at Freo . In fact, I thought they had cut him from their list.

Don't know if you are referencing me with that, but I am no Freagle. I hate West Coast.

But a bit of humility is better than blind arrogance imo.

Check out the posts that eagles posters have liked, to get an idea who I mean. I agree that arrogance is unwarranted and some posters will look pretty stupid if we happen to lose a game worth less than nothing.

Hating West coast is good. Pitying and patronising them is better!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Widely acknowledged? They beat plenty of good midfields in 2012.
No they didn't. They won a lot of games but not through the middle. Their midfield has been substandard for a while, even their own fans acknowledge this. Doesn't stop them from being able to win a few games (see Freo 2006) but does keep them from going far enough in Septemeber.

No they didn't. They won a lot of games but not through the middle. Their midfield has been substandard for a while, even their own fans acknowledge this. Doesn't stop them from being able to win a few games (see Freo 2006) but does keep them from going far enough in Septemeber.

They had a great 2011 after winning the wooden spoon in 2010. Having a full list and a soft draw helped there. Their forward line (when firing) is the best in the AFL, as they have Josh "Twinkle Toes" Kennedy, Jack "throw your head back when tackled' Darling, Mark Le Crass, Josh "Pea Heart" Hill, plus the resting ruckman.

You can guarantee that one of their forwards will have an off day, in the case of Le Crass last year his kicking was woeful, and Kennedy didn't kick a goal in the last 5 games after leading the Coleman for most of the season. However one of their other forwards usually steps up and kicks a few when Kennedy, Darling or Le Crass has an off night.

2012 saw them do not quite as well as a harder draw, plus the fact that Luke Shuey and Andrew "eyebrows" Gaff were now being tagged which therefore turned Matt Priddis into the slowest and perhaps the least effective midfielder in the comp, even though he knows how to find the ball.

They will miss Daniel "how long does this stuff last for?" Kerr for sure.

We on the other hand have struggled big time in the forward line, especially when Pav is either playing underdone or injured.

Mayne, Ballantyne and Walters can only do so much.

Hasn't really changed all that much from 2012 from a best 22 perspective. They made a prelim that year i think?

They are missing Kerr and Embley who were their 2 best midfielders. When Matt Priddis is your best mid you have issues.

And as for being saying we'll be eating humble pie if we lose a NAB cup game, all I can say to that is lol. If WC finish above us on the full season ladder, then I'll be embarrassed. But it's highly likely in this game tomorrow we'll play a team of kids and possibles to see who we should be starting in round 1.

The Eagles had a pretty long injury list last year and a stale coach on the way out. They don't have the greatest list, especially depth wise, but if they put close to their best side on the park, they could win 12-13 games.

Midfield is still weak and should stop them challenging for top 4-6, but there are plenty of sides they can beat anywhere (Dogs, Saints, Lions, Blues, GWS, Melb) ... and at Subi they can beat the likes of GC, North, Richmond, Port, Pies.

They also have a dream start to the season, and with a few wins under their belt, confidence grows and teams can start to play better than their perceived strength on paper.

I hope they fail miserably, but they have a chance to play finals with a soft draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Teams Announced - NAB Challenge West Coast Versus Fremantle 18/2/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Back