The 2017 Rights Deal Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats what they have to bargain with but the rest of their season cant match the AFL experience on TV with poor crowds at second rate grounds

What does that tell you when the TV producers have to put in fake sounds when NRL players connect to make up for the lack of atmosphere and crowd noise to enhance their product? They also try to show the crowd as little as possible unlike the AFL games so as far as Im concerned RL apart from the 4 games mentioned is not that great on TV unless you are a fan of one of the clubs.
The AFL has games like SOO every week with big sellout crowds around the nation thats why it will get money than the NRL no matter when the panicked NRL go for their rights.

The TV stations and more importantly know the AFL clubs are on track to having 1 million members who as a group have enormous buying power and they would want to hook into that massive fan base.None of the other codes have anywhere near the memberships and crowds the the AFL has and advertisers and sponsers look at these as positives.
and who more importantly?

honestly this post is getting a bit defensive and illogical.

Hahahaha oh my god. Are you serious? Have you never been to a game live, those noises aren't fake.

I can't even imagine the mindset of someone who thinks there are people making sfx for every single tackle of every single NRL game, SoO match and Test match.
Open your ears and listen to the background noise (like a muffled rolling thunder/drums) at games with poor crowds and when the players clash front on in a tackle and you will hear sound that Im talking about
Unless all the players are miked up and they are not then there should be no sound when they hit.

Open your ears and listen to the background noise (like a muffled rolling thunder/drums) at games with poor crowds and when the players clash front on in a tackle and you will hear sound that Im talking about
Unless all the players are miked up and they are not then there should be no sound when they hit.

Is this a big deal anyway? Don't some afl games do a similar thing (ie crows having crowd noise put overall the pa)

There's being a one-eyed fan and then there's delusional.

Like I said, go to a Storm game, go along to your local VRL club. It's simply the sound of the game's collisions and it's part of the attraction.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/may...1186530683372.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

The NRL strategy of offering the different competition segments to leverage more dollars:

There are figures in the industry who believe the NRL can obtain a 50 per cent increase on its present A$1.2 billion (NZ$1.23 billion) deal with Channel Nine, Fox Sports and Telstra, and Smith alluded to breaking up products such as the lucrative Origin series as a likely tactic.

"I think there are lots of ways to skin the cat," Smith said on Monday. "Many other professional sports segment their properties and build franchises.

"Origin is certainly one franchise but if you looked at the way we launched the year this year, it's one of the unique things about the game. We've got our premiership ... we've got the grand final, we've got the finals series. We've got Origin, which is sport's greatest rivalry. We've got our international club game, and the potential for more conference-based match-ups internationally, and we've got the international game with the Kangaroos squad announced (on Sunday) and the World Cup in 2017.

"Add into that (the Auckland) Nines, add into that the other things we do based around the Indigenous community with the All Stars. We're in great shape and that's not just great shape today, that's great shape tomorrow. I think all those things we will increase the value of without ever losing sight of the premiership."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...-may-be-sold-separately-in-new-broadcast-deal

if you actually attended a game you would know this isn't fake, you can hear the big hits from the second tier at penrith stadium.
they are louder and crisper on tv because they use parabolic mics that focus the sound from one direction.

if you actually attended a game you would know this isn't fake, you can hear the big hits from the second tier at penrith stadium.
they are louder and crisper on tv because they use parabolic mics that focus the sound from one direction.

Even if they are not fake or blown up it dosent change the fact that 90% of NRL games lack atmosphere due to the crap crowds even at the pokey suburban grounds and at ANZ /SFS they are even worse.
No matter how much the TV producers try to not show the crowds by focusing on the play up close they have to at some stage and its not a good look for the mob that want to be #1 across the nation by 2200.The crowds are way down this year already.

Even if they are not fake or blown up it dosent change the fact that 90% of NRL games lack atmosphere due to the crap crowds even at the pokey suburban grounds and at ANZ /SFS they are even worse.
No matter how much the TV producers try to not show the crowds by focusing on the play up close they have to at some stage and its not a good look for the mob that want to be #1 across the nation by 2200.The crowds are way down this year already.

Highly ambitious IMO !

of course NRL crowds are shit, everybody knows that. but your reasoning is unhinged. they don't put in fake sounds and they show the action close up because channel 9 actually know how to produce a good sports broadcast. Why would they be showing the wide shots in game that involves short tight passes and grubber kicks where the two sides are consistently running head on at each other. Its not a film, your not going to win an Oscar of best D.O.P, point the camera at the action.

attack the game on its faults, slow repetitive play, pointless scrums and shit crowds. making up rubbish just makes you sound like a sycophant, who actually enjoys channel 7's bizarre random camera angles.

of course NRL crowds are shit, everybody knows that. but your reasoning is unhinged. they don't put in fake sounds and they show the action close up because channel 9 actually know how to produce a good sports broadcast. Why would they be showing the wide shots in game that involves short tight passes and grubber kicks where the two sides are consistently running head on at each other. Its not a film, your not going to win an Oscar of best D.O.P, point the camera at the action.

attack the game on its faults, slow repetitive play, pointless scrums and shit crowds. making up rubbish just makes you sound like a sycophant, who actually enjoys channel 7's bizarre random camera angles.

Get your facts right!Where have I ever said that I like CH 7s telecasts?In fact I watch all my games on Foxtel for the HD picture quality but Im still not impressed by CH 7ns poor production.The best result for the AFL will be for CH 10 to get some of the action They actually did a pretty good job last time.

Get your facts right!Where have I ever said that I like CH 7s telecasts?In fact I watch all my games on Foxtel for the HD picture quality but Im still not impressed by CH 7ns poor production.The best result for the AFL will be for CH 10 to get some of the action They actually did a pretty good job last time.

i said SOUND like. don't get so defensive.

NRL’s analysts prepare to split up the game for TV sell-off

The Australian
April 28, 2015 12:00AM

The NRL has employed a team of analysts for the past 12 months to work out the dollar value of the game’s separate assets, including the Telstra Premiership and State of Origin, in order to drive a better bargain for the next broadcast rights deal.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith yesterday confirmed last Friday’s reports in The Australian that he had phoned executives at rights holders the Nine Network, Fox Sports and Telstra to give formal notification he wanted to start talks in the next few weeks. The current deal netted the code a *record $1.025 billion and doesn’t expire until the end of 2017.

“TV rights are such a big part of any professional sports finances so it’s only right that we are talking and it’s not that far towards the end of this rights deal,’’ Smith said.

“My obligation is to make sure the fans have got a game like ours to watch for the next 10, 20, 30 years so it’s not surprising really that I would be thinking about the future and it’s a very, very big part of that future. I’ll continue to talk and see where we get to.’’

Smith is in a strong position to net the code an even better deal this time around thanks to record ratings last season. The first two State of Origin games and South Sydney’s grand final win over Canterbury were the three most watched programs on TV all year.

The Australian has been told that the NRL has its own team of analysts who have been determining the value of the game’s assets over the past year.

It is understood that Smith will be armed with their information when he meets TV executives in the coming weeks to ensure the game is not short-changed.

The NRL boss confirmed the game could sell off its assets to the highest bidder. He is prepared to separate regular season and finals games, the State of Origin series, Test matches and the World Cup and the Auckland Nines as packages to different networks.

Commercial broadcast partner Nine has enjoyed first and last rights but that clause has been removed for the next deal.

“I think the most important thing is to understand the value of the asset that you’ve got and we do,’’ Smith said. “We’ve done a lot of work over the last 12 months to really understand what the value of our rights are. My obligation is to the fans and make sure that we do the best deal we can.

“I think there’s lots of ways to skin the cat and many other professional sports segment their properties, they build franchises. The game’s got so much potential, so much upside.

“I do feel that I’ve not got both arms tied behind my back, there’s no first and last rights. We’re in a position whereby we can really pitch what we’ve got and recognise that it’s of some value.’’

Smith wants to free the league from having to support clubs financially. The NRL props up Wests Tigers, Gold Coast, Newcastle and St George Illawarra. Only two clubs — South Sydney and Brisbane — recorded a profit last year once league clubs grants are removed from the equation.

“I would expect that the next deal will continue to close that gap and the clubs will be stronger and healthier and it will be great if they were in a position where they were profitable and they were able to reinvest into their core markets as well,’’ Smith said. “That’s an overall ambition whereby we get to that point. We’ll go through this deal, we’ll see where it lands us and hopefully it puts it in an even stronger place.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-for-tv-sell-off/story-e6frg6n6-1227323807620

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that the NRL would be mad to separate Origin from the club competition, the NRL is practically worthless for the period of Origin due to a lack of competitive teams and the large number of byes. They might make a stack of cash with one hand, yet face huge losses on the other. It would be akin to the AFL selling Collingwood games to a separate broadcaster.

I think that the NRL would be mad to separate Origin from the club competition, the NRL is practically worthless for the period of Origin due to a lack of competitive teams and the large number of byes. They might make a stack of cash with one hand, yet face huge losses on the other. It would be akin to the AFL selling Collingwood games to a separate broadcaster.

I wonder if its akin to splitting Socceroos games from the Aleague rights on a larger scale.

Is that claim correct in TV viewing numbers?

origin may be stand alone over consecutive weeks, the NRL is doing a review on scheduling & expansion so we don't actually know what they are selling yet. Networks aren't going to not want the NRL competition if they don't get origin, origin is just the cherry on top.

origin may be stand alone over consecutive weeks, the NRL is doing a review on scheduling & expansion so we don't actually know what they are selling yet. Networks aren't going to not want the NRL competition if they don't get origin, origin is just the cherry on top.

What, for 3 games, or possibly the series over in 2, you gotta be joking, play them on a friday night then and probably see ratings go down, they actually might get some competition for eyeballs.

Origin accounts for about 1/10th of the total NRL ratings over the year.

That is irrelevant to the issue raised by 1873, ie the NRL is practically worthless for the period of Origin due to a lack of competitive teams and the large number of byes

I am unaware of the validity of this claim in terms of TV ratings for the NRL comp over the Origin period & 1873 is yet to reply.

That is irrelevant to the issue raised by 1873, ie the NRL is practically worthless for the period of Origin due to a lack of competitive teams and the large number of byes

I am unaware of the validity of this claim in terms of TV ratings for the NRL comp over the Origin period & 1873 is yet to reply.

its not "practically worthless at all". The ratings during that period may be less at times, but they far outstrip any other sport, and even the AFL is hard pressed to beat them match on match. If i get some time today Ill gin something up from the ratings data.

It seems an announcement is in the wind of Channel 7 providing FTA coverage of one of the womens AFL games this year. If it goes well, do we then expect to see more than 1 next year, and does this then figure in the next rights deal. You would think with the public push by the AFL for womens footy stake holders to be ready to go with a prototype national comp by 2017 rather than 2020, that they are at least keeping the possibility in mind.

Would be huge if they could pull it off, I think seeing a game a week of womens footy on TV would turbocharge the uptake of the game by girls. This would likely be the point of the exercise rather than any financial benefit. Could even see it being a sweetner as in, we will accept your offer if you throw in telecasting a womens game on a secondary channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back