List Mgmt. The 2024 Draft (Nov 20/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Based on absolutely nothing but a vague feeling of how these types have gone in the past (no research undertaken), Hynes sounds like a bust to me.

The versatile big-bodied mid-fwd types, if they are going to make it at AFL, are standouts at U18 level.

Although I'm sort of expecting sometime to point out the error of my argument with a few choice examples.

I assume you are saying that with some obvious candidates in mind - Dusty, petracca, H Reid etc?

Your theory might hold reasonably true, but there are some counters, Chad Warner being the obvious example. Also, depending how you viewed their junior careers and what you conceptualise as a big bodied mid-fwd, fyfe, cripps, dangerfield could also be looked at as contrary examples, even if they did still go relatively high in the draft, they didn’t go any higher than Hynes range (10-20).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Question.. have the eagles ever traded up in the first round or 2?
From what I can remember we're always trading down. I think we got sheed,duggan,ginbey ,hewitt , Foley, chesser from trading down. Probably more but have we ever traded up? We seem to be a quantity over quantity mob don't we
We really shouldn't be surprised in the future when it happens just hope for the best

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

From what I can remember we're always trading down. I think we got sheed,duggan,ginbey ,hewitt , Foley, chesser from trading down. Probably more but have we ever traded up? We seem to be a quantity over quantity mob don't we
We really shouldn't be surprised in the future when it happens just hope for the best

I can only think of the Clay Hall trade

The more I look at Lindsay the more I think he’s a given at our pick. Morrish medal winner despite missing some games due to injury. Gippsland Power captain.

Great skills, especially kicking bullet passes 20-40m.

He’s a Saints fan and I’ve read that Melbourne are interested. Hopefully he’s still around at our pick or perhaps they’ll leave TT for us 😂

Just feels to me like Lindsay is the safest most sensible selection to guarantee we tick a box when it comes to addressing holes in our list.

Outside accumulator, run and carry damaging midfielder with a huge tank. I like him to young Merrett, before he went ful full time on ball. We need one, get it done tick ✅

Don't get me wrong, would've preferred Draper/FOS as a pure line breaking extractor/balanced mid, but Lindsay appears to be the next best option at our pick.

Travaglia would be nice, given his talent and upside but I'm not expecting him to reach our selection.

Hotton carries a lot of risk. Even without his supposed attachment to Vic. Won't cry if we select him but oh boy would he want to come off after Brander, Venables, Chesser first rounders.

Just feels to me like Lindsay is the safest most sensible selection to guarantee we tick a box when it comes to addressing holes in our list.

Outside accumulator, run and carry damaging midfielder with a huge tank. I like him to young Merrett, before he went ful full time on ball. We need one, get it done tick

Don't get me wrong, would've preferred Draper/FOS as a pure line breaking extractor/balanced mid, but Lindsay appears to be the next best option at our pick.

Travaglia would be nice, given his talent and upside but I'm not expecting him to reach our selection.

Hotton carries a lot of risk. Even without his supposed attachment to Vic. Won't cry if we select him but oh boy would he want to come off after Brander, Venables, Chesser first rounders.
So if TT and Lindsay are both available, who should we pick?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I get the want to get back into the pointy end of this draft but what do you think we’d get for our F1?

It’s an unconfirmed report and may not happen, but the proposed deal between North and Richmond is pick 2 and North’s F1 for 6 and 11

The likelihood we get a pick inside 10 for our F1 is remote. We’d be trading a likely top 4 pick for a choice between one of perhaps Travaglia, Smillie, Langford or Allan depending on which of that quartet are still on the board

By waiting we have a draft pick that will likely give us a crack at one of Rodriguez and Swadling. Alternatively we have a significant trade chip for Warner if he asks for a trade

Simply put, we won’t get full value for trading our F1. The better option is to keep it

If you dont get percieved value offered selling something. You dont sell it. Simple.

What discount is fair in bringing a pick forwward 12 months?

You dont get like for like, same princliple as time value of money. You want to get 12 months addditional value from using a future pick then a discount is applied.

And what will our F1st actually be?

And as mentioned are we getting value keeping our 1st and trading for a player when we have another later 1st to use?

So quite a few factors here in determining value.

TT.

Has been ranked ahead of Lindsay by most rankings. There was one or two mentioning Lindsay as a top 10 pick but TT has jumped ahead of him.
Both are certain on our needs list.

One a midfielder one a half back.

Funny we would take TT as a half back over the mid, and most would be happy, yet, if we take Allen, as a half back, the melts would ensue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both are certain on our needs list.

One a midfielder one a half back.

Funny we would take TT as a half back over the mid, and most would be happy, yet, if we take Allen, as a half back, the melts would ensue.

Oscer is an Allen.

Bo is an Allan.

Both TT and Allan can play wing. Allan can play inside mid and TT may project similar to Sam Day at the Hawks, start in defence but end up on ball.

Oscer is an Allen.

Bo is an Allan.

Both TT and Allan can play wing. Allan can play inside mid and TT may project similar to Sam Day at the Hawks, start in defence but end up on ball.

Sam is a Day.

Will is a Day.

It's easy to see how some people can get confused. :)

(I won't start on Oscer)

So if TT and Lindsay are both available, who should we pick?

TT. Lindsay is a very good player but TT would fill the biggest hole in our list which is an interceptor and distributor off HBF. The fact that he’s likely to be able to push further up the ground like Will Day is a bonus. Watch his handballing in the U18 champs.

Whilst also a HBF Bo is a completely different player. Hard as nails, but wouldn’t describe him as above average by either hand or foot and not a player that instills confidence with ball in hand. Is a player you’d love to walk out beside though.

We’ll almost certainly miss TT so I think we should take Lindsay then hope we can get Harry Oliver with 26. Elite piercing left foot and a very good defender. Jacques would be the other consideration if Oliver is gone but he’s a reach at 26.

The list moves to me only point to one direction

Trade future first rounder

Not sure how we get to any other outcome that makes sense.

Future 1st for pick 11 would be the one. Lets us get Bo Allan + a Xavier Lindsay. Come 2025 we gotta be ALL IN and I mean ALL IN on Chad Warner

We did trade out players to Port Adelaide for a #1 pick.

TT. Lindsay is a very good player but TT would fill the biggest hole in our list which is an interceptor and distributor off HBF. The fact that he’s likely to be able to push further up the ground like Will Day is a bonus. Watch his handballing in the U18 champs.

Whilst also a HBF Bo is a completely different player. Hard as nails, but wouldn’t describe him as above average by either hand or foot and not a player that instills confidence with ball in hand. Is a player you’d love to walk out beside though.

We’ll almost certainly miss TT so I think we should take Lindsay then hope we can get Harry Oliver with 26. Elite piercing left foot and a very good defender. Jacques would be the other consideration if Oliver is gone but he’s a reach at 26.
Oliver

Hearing good things re. Oliver…. Freo very keen apparently.

What about James Baratt for pick 26? A bigger wingman?

Oliver

Hearing good things re. Oliver…. Freo very keen apparently.

What about James Baratt for pick 26? A bigger wingman?
You might be thinking of Ough as a wingman. A bit of a reach at 26, our 3R may have been about the level. Barrat is a versatile tall forward/back. eaglespremiers has done some really good write ups on him if you want to have a look at a couple of his posts. 👍 Barrat, O’Farrell and Mraz would all be in the discussion for a tall defender at that pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The 2024 Draft (Nov 20/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back