List Mgmt. The 2024 Draft (Nov 20/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Remind yourself that we have Bancroft in 2025 as a F/S and he looked great on a wing in the champs and in Colts at Claremont. I sense he could also play the QB role off a hbf. On top of that we also have a speedy half forward in Walley next year and Champion this year

So we get to know of positions we can pass on this year.

If Berry is there at 12, we should let him pass as an example. Clubs who know what is coming in future years have an advantage
Would you compare Davis to Banfield as somewhat similar sort of players?

Why are we so desperate to get into this years draft? The top 20 kids are mainly Victorian and could all be considered flight risks. I'd be happy to take Bo Allan and keep all of next years picks.
The optimist in me thinks with a new coach and game plan we're better off to wait this year out, give McQualter time to have a look at what we have. Our best ever centre bounce setup was Judd (3), Kerr (18), Cousins (6) and Cox (Rookie pick 28). Only 2 top 10 picks and Cuzzy was picked 8 years before Judd.
We have our Judd equivalent in Harley, have Hewett, Ginbey, Yeo, TK, Baker, Graham etc who will all roll through centre bounce. Just need to relax, add Bo Allen or TT and see how it plays out in 2025.
I totally agree with most of this Hewlett may be nothing and Eagles need someone like him if he doesn't come good.

TT is who the Eagles desperately need as a running half back and that's why they need to get back into the draft. Honestly I think he will be the best player in the draft, he will be gone by the Eagles pick.

Same. People acting like a ginbey clone is a bad thing, even tho in reality these comparisons are typically lazy and aren't reality. What I like about Bo is that he has high upside.. I'm not sure the ceiling of other fan favs around here is as such. And a guy who leaves it all out on the ground is always welcome.

And in regards to ginbey l'm still pretty high on him personally. His floor is still above average imo and his ceiling is still huge. Hoping 2025 he works out where he belongs on the food chain, because if he does, watch out.

Ginbey will turn into an absolute gun for WC in the long run. WC get a lot of flack for that draft but I honestly think they played their hand well.

Ginbey was awarded U18 AA Ruck Rover for essentially his first 4 games as a midfielder. He played primarily half back in colts and his improvement in his draft year was probably the most substantial of his draft class.

Hewett's draft year began with him touted top 3, having some sort of illness all year (he mentioned this on Coast to Coast), and sliding to our pick. If not for the foot injury, he would have 40 games and 25 goals under his belt and being praised as the next Benny Cousins.

Bo Allan isn't my first choice, but he does have huge upside and may end up being something similar to a Patty Cripps / Tom Green type mid which would replace Yeo long term.

I'm sold on Bo Allan but he might not be there at our first pick. He looks like he's a hard inside mid with a serious speed burst plus he's a left footer like me so gets extra credits lol. Tested top 4 in agility and vertical leap at 191cm, and 2.9 odd in 20m sprint. He's got all the attributes you're looking for. Travaglia is a better 2km runner but he's he's got a poor ball drop, too many floater kicks. And his speed testing at the combine was poor, showing that he might look like he has toe in the under 18's but in AFL terms he's not going to get the space he's used to. Lindsay accumulates but he looks like he doesn't have the burst to clear traffic and get on his left in the AFL either.

Would you compare Davis to Banfield as somewhat similar sort of players?
I spoke with his coach at Scotch at the VIC Country game. His views on Banfield is that he has good pace, great skills and sees the play very well. His approach to the carnival was to get used to the pace of the game and play the role asked. BB apparently is a good sort and real team oriented guy

So where next - Steve was pretty open about Bailey being able to play a raft of positions. As a bottom ager, you get given a role they need not necessarily your best. Current thinking is start on a wing but could be great as the hbf distributor that runs through the mid once he gets bulked up. He also loves going forward and kicking goals. I guess Claremont will experiment in 2025 but nice he is not pigeonholed.

Davis v Banfield are probably very similar which is why I’m less bullish on Hamish. That said his end to 2024 at Claremont league was brilliant and shows he will make it

Last edited:
Ginbey will turn into an absolute gun for WC in the long run. WC get a lot of flack for that draft but I honestly think they played their hand well.

Ginbey was awarded U18 AA Ruck Rover for essentially his first 4 games as a midfielder. He played primarily half back in colts and his improvement in his draft year was probably the most substantial of his draft class.

Hewett's draft year began with him touted top 3, having some sort of illness all year (he mentioned this on Coast to Coast), and sliding to our pick. If not for the foot injury, he would have 40 games and 25 goals under his belt and being praised as the next Benny Cousins.

Bo Allan isn't my first choice, but he does have huge upside and may end up being something similar to a Patty Cripps / Tom Green type mid which would replace Yeo long term.
Hope of blind faith?

Dons will want to sell 28 and 31 to use their later picks on Kako. Problem is that they will want to get back in as early as possible. Not going to be that easy without overpaying.

Picks 28, 31, 40, 46, 53, 54 and 65 combined value is 2,588 points or equivalent to pick 2.
Take out 28 and 31 and it is 1,303 points which cover any bid from 7 with a 20% discount. I cannot see anyone before St Kilda bidding earlier.

Work with Essendon to hide 28 and 31 then give them back 26.

Possible trades.

Once bid comes - Eagle buy 28 and 31 for Hawks F2 and Eagles F2
Post bid - Eagles sell 26 and Hawks F3 for Melbourne F1 (we give Dons an option of which they want to give us but lets assume it is Melbourne's F1)

We walk away with 26 being pushed back 2 places, but have added pick 31 and upgrade future picks

Why would Dons do it?
Picks 28, 31 and F1 (Mlb) for 26, F2 (WC) F2 (Hawks) and F3 (Hawks)?
They need to find a party to hide their early more valuable picks and then to get back in. I stress that getting back in the draft will cost a massive premium so best arranging it with one club.

1. Dons get Kako using their lowest points picks
2. Dons get an early pick in a good range where there is a good mix of options slightly better than they started
3. Dons still have a strong 2025 hand with own F1, 3 x F2 (own, Eagles + Hawks), 1 x F3 (Hawks), plus own F4 (sure it does not mean 2 x F1 but it in points is better)

Assuming Dees F1 = 10, our F2 = 22, Hawks F2 = 32 and Hawks F3 = 50. Net premium is an additional 307 points to Essendon. AFL should have no drama allowing that trade.
View attachment 2153188

Why would we do it?
1. We get an additional pick at 31 while only pushing our R2 back 2 places.
2. We walk away with 3 x F1 and our own F3.
3. If we want more later picks in 2025, I am sure we will be able to extract a suitable premium to slide back. Lions got nearly 800 additional points in selling pick 20 this year.
4. If we want Warner, we have 2 x F1 to trade for him while still able to take a F1 to the draft. Depending where the F1's land, we may ask for something later back from Swans which would be OK to match FS and NGA bids

Eagles future hand goes from
F1 (Eagles), F1 (Hawks), F2 (Eagles), F2 (Hawks), F3 (Eagles), F3 (Hawks)
to
F1 (Eagles), F1 (Hawks), F1 (Melbourne), F3 (Eagles)

Everyone is happy. Rosa and Vozzo sit down with Pyke and Clarke and enjoy a drink together on 20th November

I hope the club is seriously talking to Essendon with respect to trading 26 for 28 and 31 either side of the Kako bid using swaps of future picks to balance it out. Plenty of permutations that can achieve that like the one you’ve provided

I have wondered if we might trade the 2xF2 picks we have for 28 and 31 but then keep 26 ourselves and leave Essendon to look at other avenues to get back into this years draft. We’d have 12,26,28,31 and 73 whilst Essendon would have 2xF1 and 3xF2 picks to use in order to get a better pick(s) than 26

Don’t think the club would do it, but we’d have 4 looks inside the top 40 plus a pick set aside for Champion

To do this it means we only have 2 spots left for DFA/SSP signings and that’s assuming there’s some resolution with Luke Edwards’ status prior to the draft which would enable his delisting

Take Carroll as a DFA then see how keen Burgiel is to win his spot back as a train on

He got moved into the midfield with some half forward time and he racked 30 or so in the Colts final

Listed as a mid / forward.

Seems to find the ball more than a pure half forward.

That photo in the wet v Beagles shows he already has rhe bulk to go with the running ability.
Noticed when he was playing for WA in the u18s the number 11 he looked big compared to a lot of other kids.

He cold play reasonably early due to his size and endurance.

Lindsay at 12 and Davis at 26/29 would be decent IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The 2024 Draft (Nov 20/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back