The A-League - how big can it get?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wollongong gave themselves a glowing endorsement last night with 5,238 fans attending the FFA Cup game vs Central Coast Mariners. Think I read that is nearly twice as many as the next biggest attendance so far.

If they proved they were financially sound, they'd have to be the natural number one choice for expansion (or perhaps try again somewhere in north Queensland). I don't see the need for this to necessarily happen in the next few years, though.

A bit off topic (but also kind of related) is the development this morning that the Newcastle Jets have been put up for sale and HSG (the group that owns/runs the club) have been in discussions for the past few months with clubs from England, Spain and Germany.

Definitely seems we might be moving for European ownership which I think ultimately, would be great to help develop the players and the wider game in the region (particularly if that parent team play a high profile friendly in preseason). Maybe even an arrangement similar to Manchester/Melbourne City where players can be loaned to the feeder club.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...says-hunter-sports-group-20140822-10711b.html

That's great news! I think the Jets have to cut ties anyway with Hunter given Tinkler's financial position, so hopefully we see some kind of deal sruck.

Yeah! To be honest, I'm just hoping for a stable owner who is passionate about football haha. After Con and Tinkler, surely third time's the charm! :D

While I have some issues with Mike Ashley's running of the club, this would be brilliant! (apart from likely seeing Sports Direct branding hitting our shores!)

"Newcastle United could be the next English Premier League club to purchase a controlling stake of an A-League side after Nathan Tinkler is understood to have approached their owner offering to sell Newcastle Jets.

The former coal baron announced his intention to sell off all remaining sporting investments on Friday, including Newcastle Jets and Fairfax Media understands he has held preliminary discussions with Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley about purchasing the club. Tinkler specifically sought-out the English billionaire in his attempt to sell the Jets immediately in hope that Ashley would be interested in forging a sense of synergy between Newcastle United and their Australian namesake.

Herald sources suggest a deal is still some way off as the Jets are yet to present formal documents to potential buyers including a complete breakdown of their expenditure and revenue. On the market: Nathan Tinkler has sold the Newcastle Knights and now he is looking to offload the Newcastle Jets. On the market: Nathan Tinkler has sold the Newcastle Knights and now he is looking to offload the Newcastle Jets. Photo: Rob Homer Newcastle United are one of a number of European clubs said to have signalled their interest in buying the Jets who could undergo a similar transformation as Melbourne Heart experienced following their purchase by Manchester City. "

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...wners-for-newcastle-jets-20140822-1073w5.html

Hmmmm I'm not too sure if I'd be ok with the Jets being rebranded as Newcastle United Lite. I was fine with it for Melbourne City because they had no identity other than being 'not Victory'. But I don't want the A League to become a bunch of inferior Asian investments for European football club owners.

If the Jets keep their identity then it's great but if they drop 'Jets' and start wearing black and white stripes then I'll have issues with it.

Hmmmm I'm not too sure if I'd be ok with the Jets being rebranded as Newcastle United Lite. I was fine with it for Melbourne City because they had no identity other than being 'not Victory'. But I don't want the A League to become a bunch of inferior Asian investments for European football club owners.

If the Jets keep their identity then it's great but if they drop 'Jets' and start wearing black and white stripes then I'll have issues with it.

Yeah, definitely an interesting scenario. I think when the A League was formed, our inaugural name (still technically is) was the Newcastle United Jets (though more commonly known as the Newcastle Jets). Historically, the city of Newcastle I believe was infact named after the UK namesake due to it also being famous for it's coal industry.

In saying that, I can definitely understand the concern of having our franchise clubs rebranded to be extensions of their European counterparts. Had it not been Newcastle United, I don't know how I'd feel about renaming/rebranding the club personally. I like the idea of having Australian clubs with their own identity and name (though I do also think partnerships with European clubs is definitely in the best interests of the game locally too).

I guess after our last 2 owners (at the Jets), I'd be more happy with just knowing the club has a long term future as we've been surrounded with a lot of instability and speculation over the last few years. I reckon ideally, the best solution would be if we keep our name and revert back to our traditional gold strip for home and have a black and white away kit (which we've had in the past).

You'd hope that the club would remain Newcastle United Jets. Perhaps the famous magpie strip could become the away jersey? Definite incentive for Mike Cashley to become involved in the Australian sportswear market which is huge. NUFC Tiger perhaps Ashley could even send Pardew to work down under for him so he can keep repaying the gambling debts he owes him and you can get a quality new manager for NUFC in the UK :)

You'd hope that the club would remain Newcastle United Jets. Perhaps the famous magpie strip could become the away jersey? Definite incentive for Mike Cashley to become involved in the Australian sportswear market which is huge. NUFC Tiger perhaps Ashley could even send Pardew to work down under for him so he can keep repaying the gambling debts he owes him and you can get a quality new manager for NUFC in the UK :)

That'd be the dream Oz! Though just quietly, I'd hope Pardew could find his way to managing Central Coast instead! :D;)

Club officials have flown to England to discuss the potential sale to interested clubs. Hopefully they bring Pardew back with them :D

10612745_624537877667439_5528981485620640132_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see us beating CCM pretty healthily despite the uncertainty hanging around the club and with the loss of a few big names (Taggart, Heskey and Brillante).

Actually a bit surprised with Perth's numbers - don't they usually average pretty good crowds?

Perth have stagnated since the introduction of the A League. Don't think they have averaged more than 11k crowds in the A League. In the NSL they were pulling 15k regularly at one stage.

Kind of feel they could/should be able to get more (closer to the 15k mark) - always seemed like a club with a lot of potential, just need to get it right on the pitch I guess. Good advantage of being a 1 club city too.

They're stuck in the stereotype of boring english football. None of their manager appointments have been particularly inspiring and they seem to rely on their core support which is very loyal to be fair. Definite potential their though if harnessed.

They can have Pardew in a few weeks if he hopefully gets the chop. Can bring Steven Taylor with him :D

Would be great to see a Perth side doing well, could be a pretty big club in the comp you'd think if they can get their house in order. Got the fanbase in place already.

Remove this Banner Ad

The A-League - how big can it get?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back