The A-League - how big can it get?

Remove this Banner Ad

The WSW bid was roundly criticised at the time because the belief was WS was too multicultural to support a single team. A lot expected it to be a very very average outfit which has surprised everyone and garnered a huge rivalry with Sydney in only a couple of seasons.

I'm all for playing it safe and not having another Queensland debacle, but we do need to expand to eventually have a rivalry in every state (or country). It will improve interest in those places. The only 'derby' that isn't succeeding at the moment is CCM and Newcastle because it's such a random notion of a rivalry.
The CCM/Newcastle one makes geogprahic sense but both of those clubs are now average with small supporter bases. Nothing to get excited about.

I'd much prefer them to give Tasmania their own football side. Would give them a football team for the state to get behind and would be the first major football code to establish themselves there. Has plenty of potential I think.

The CCM/Newcastle one makes geogprahic sense but both of those clubs are now average with small supporter bases. Nothing to get excited about.

I'd much prefer them to give Tasmania their own football side. Would give them a football team for the state to get behind and would be the first major football code to establish themselves there. Has plenty of potential I think.
Dunno, I guess so but is there much interest in football there?

Use any team. Melbourne City don't go to more games in the hope of finishing above Victory.

Supporters go to games to support their team, it has very little to do what a rival is doing that weekend.

Unless it's Union, next to no one will care about a forced rivalry in the A league.
Disagree with this, finishing above Victory would be fantastic. Obviously not going to happen this season which makes it very disappointing. The City-Victory rivalry is very healthy, evidenced by the derby crowd earlier this season.

I think 12 teams with a 33 game season would be ideal for a football market like Australia. 10 teams is far too few in my opinion. I'm concerned though with the FFA's desire for a promotion and relegation system though. It has the potential to destroy the hard work done by A-League clubs if they are relegated as it would seriously decrease their support, particularly the smaller clubs such as CCM. I don't think the promoted clubs would be financially stable enough either or have the support to play in the A-League, I mean the FFA had to subsidise most lower clubs just so they could fly their players interstate for the FFA Cup, imagine if they had to do that every second week.

Disagree with this, finishing above Victory would be fantastic. Obviously not going to happen this season which makes it very disappointing. The City-Victory rivalry is very healthy, evidenced by the derby crowd earlier this season.

I think 12 teams with a 33 game season would be ideal for a football market like Australia. 10 teams is far too few in my opinion. I'm concerned though with the FFA's desire for a promotion and relegation system though. It has the potential to destroy the hard work done by A-League clubs if they are relegated as it would seriously decrease their support, particularly the smaller clubs such as CCM. I don't think the promoted clubs would be financially stable enough either or have the support to play in the A-League, I mean the FFA had to subsidise most lower clubs just so they could fly their players interstate for the FFA Cup, imagine if they had to do that every second week.
Oh no doubt you want to finish above them. I just don't think you get a bigger crowd to neutral games for that reason.

Oh no doubt you want to finish above them. I just don't think you get a bigger crowd to neutral games for that reason.

Towards the end of the season I think you're underestimating how much that desire may keep people coming to the games versus Nix fans the last few years not being interested in watching dead rubber games once they couldn't make finals.

Would it be fair to say there appears a smaller proportion of women at A League matches compared with some other codes? Considering the amount of women that play 'Association Football' around the country is this a poor result and something that could become a focus of growth for the league?

Would it be fair to say there appears a smaller proportion of women at A League matches compared with some other codes? Considering the amount of women that play 'Association Football' around the country is this a poor result and something that could become a focus of growth for the league?

I haven't noticed it myself but when I think about it now, you could have a point.

I have a reserved seat for Richmond games and there is probably a good 50-50 split of men and women (children included) around me. From the A league matches I've seen (mostly general admission) the split would probably be closer to maybe 70/80 - 30/20 in favour of men.

Comparing my experiences, some of the women around my seat at the footy get really into it and are very vocal, whilst at a league matches, they seem to be there more as tagging along with friends/a partner and spend a bit of time checking their phones or the like. Maybe because football is a 'slower' game with more build up than the end to end action of the AFL?

Given there is a W-League (women's league), the fact there is (assuming here) probably more women who play football over AFL across all age groups and the Matildas are quite a strong representative side in women's football, it is quite strange. Maybe AFL (as a code) appeals more to casual female fans?

Pretty interesting point you raise though BORK. Would be interested to get your and other's thoughts.

Pretty interesting point you raise though BORK. Would be interested to get your and other's thoughts.

I sometimes wonder whether elements of the more vocal supporters at games may act as a deterrent to potential women spectators. When I view TV audiences for the A League it seems more likely that watching the game itself may lack appeal for women(When seeing an audience of 55000 measured for the WSW vs Brisbane game on Wednesday I would assume there was definitely more than 27500 male viewers). I would like to see statistics for the number of registered Female Association Football players in this country.

Fox sports clearly try and involve women on their panels covering the games. I do wonder how much market research the A League puts into this.

I agree with David Gallops view of "fishing where the fish are". Millions of people in Sydney with a potential for way more fans.
I agree that the SOuth of Sydney needs a team but it should be a team combining Southern Sydney suburbs and the South Coast. Bulk of games at Wollongong but also a fair portion at Cronulla.

NEwcastle and Central Coast need to merge. I know the fans wont like it but lets be realistic. Maybe create a new team from scratch so it wont put people off.

I dont see a problem with Canberra or Northern Queensland either (Any northern team can also play a few games in the NT). Ready made stadiums and a whole region to themselves.

I thought this thread only got action in the periods directly following the A-League Grand Final and from the start of the A-League season until Cricket season gets into full swing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10896901_724105541018462_7020613558483334857_n.jpg

Nearly 11,500 reported crowd for the Sydney v Jets game. Healthy crowd!

21,000ish at Geelong shouldn't be scoffeed at either
There was a novelty factor at play there. Just like the crowd of over 30k for the Adelaide United game at Adelaide oval. If Adelaide United played their every week you could easily wipe 10 thousand or more off that figure as a normal turnout.

Where was that game played? Looks like a beautiful spot to go watch sp.ort

Believe it was played at 'WIN Stadium' in Wollongong. Definitely looks like a nice place to watch a match!

21,000ish at Geelong shouldn't be scoffeed at either

Do you know if there has been any talk of Geelong getting a team in future given the relative ease of access from Melbourne? Would there be a market for a regional side from Victoria? Believe Geelong is another decent breeding ground for talent too (Spiranovic originally from there I think?) so would be great for the local game if they got a side of their own.

There was a novelty factor at play there. Just like the crowd of over 30k for the Adelaide United game at Adelaide oval. If Adelaide United played their every week you could easily wipe 10 thousand or more off that figure as a normal turnout.

I wouldnt be so sure of that. Adelaide oval seems to be attracting great crowds for pretty much everything it hosts, be it football, cricket or soccer.

I wouldnt be so sure of that. Adelaide oval seems to be attracting great crowds for pretty much everything it hosts, be it football, cricket or soccer.
All factors fell into place that night. It was the gap between footy and cricket season with no other sport on which is when the A League prospers. Adelaide's first home game and against their biggest rival. Perfect weather and a Friday night allowing alot of walk ins along with being the novelty of playing at Adelaide Oval which is an uncommon occurrence.

Most importantly of all is the Adelaide Oval is not that good for watching a game played on a rectangle pitch. In 1998 the Adelaide Rams played games at both grounds. Their crowd average at Adelaide Oval that year was 7888. Their average crowd at Hindmarsh the same season was 7323.

An adult general admission ticket to the Bigbash costs a tad over $20. An adult general admission ticket to an Adelaide United game is now a bit over $30 and for a bronze seat at Adelaide Oval it cost over $35. The reality is not many casuals will pay that amount to see a relatively poor quality of football with a poor view of the action with players on less than a third of the salary cap that they would see at an AFL match for a similar price.

If Adelaide United played every home game at Adelaide Oval I would confidently state the majority of their crowds would be under 23000.

Interested in reading what people's thoughts on the below are.

Essentially, some A League Club owners would like to open the league and allow for expansion teams from other countries (such as Singapore and Hong Kong) or the possible creation of an ASEAN Super League; whilst the FFA seem to be heavily against the idea (probably preferring local expansion than overseas).

WHERE will the A-League expand to? Not Wollongong or Canberra or Brisbane - well, not if the club owners’ vision comes about.

Serious planning is underway to expand the competition by including Asian teams. Though the owners of Brisbane, the Mariners and Newcastle went public with the idea of Asian expansion a few days ago, they’re being a bit coy about how advanced it is.

For the past few months UK consultants have been discreetly but actively engaged with Asian football bosses to try to win their approval, as well as crunch the numbers to show how it could be financially successful.

This isn’t fairytale thinking - several of the owners are convinced the way to make serious money is by inviting teams from football-mad countries like Hong Kong and Singapore to join Australia’s league.

But to say FFA oppose the plan would be a huge understatement, and David Gallop’s lieutenants are convinced the idea will be shot down – if not by the AFC then by FIFA, who many believe are very nervous about allowing cross-continental competition.

There’s also the small matter of the much heralded ASEAN Super League, a concept which Singapore and Malaysia have already put forward to FIFA and invited Australia to allow its clubs to play in. Except that idea has been waiting on FIFA approval for more than a year without any joy.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d-job-arnie-lure/story-fnk6pqot-1227260538836

Remove this Banner Ad

The A-League - how big can it get?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back