Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what you're saying is that Goodes is the worst, most disgraceful person to ever play VFL/AFL football? Because if it's nothing to do with race then that's the only explanation for him receiving this unprecedented level of abuse.

Well he has been the most vocal player in VFL/AFL history to lambast Australian society and the foundations it is built on, as well as effectively calling every single person that watches the game from the stand a 'casual racist'. Not pockets of society, but every single member of society!

Not liking or agreeing with the words of someone and showing your disapproval through booing is not racism no matter how often the fanatical AFL media try to ram it down our throats that it is. Call it bullying if you like, but dump the racism tag

The AFL has seriously screwed up on this issue

Maybe, maybe not, maybe that was the only thing she has ever yelled out, regardless she was still a kid. Not condoning what she said, but is it ok that his actions may have affected her the same way racism affected him as a teenager.

My point is two wrongs don't make a right.
My 14 year old son is as tall as me, Adam may not have seen her as a child, just a hater.

If her actions caused her grief because he singled her out I have little sympathy. She brought that on herself and should accept responsibility.

To compare the impact on her for being called out on her own actions with the impact of racism on an innocent child (Adam) is simply wrong.

Her actions caused his reaction which caused her "suffering". She f----d up and should take responsibility for it, those around her at the time who didn't stop her should also take responsibility. Adam pointed out an issue - quite rightly.

As a child how did Adam provoke or incite the racism he reports was directed at him?

And did I see a headline quoting her mother calling on Adam to apologise to her - Sheeeesh (Palm smacks forehead) - take responsibility folks!

Well he has been the most vocal player in VFL/AFL history to lambast Australian society and the foundations it is built on, as well as effectively calling every single person that watches the game from the stand a 'casual racist'. Not pockets of society, but every single member of society!

Not liking or agreeing with the words of someone and showing your disapproval through booing is not racism no matter how often the fanatical AFL media try to ram it down our throats that it is. Call it bullying if you like, but dump the racism tag

Oh I'd love to see you prove this.

Okay let's play a game. For every time the crowd as a whole boos the umpire at the centre bounce, I'll give you $20. For every game this round. Deal?
If you're going to go to these extremes, then also make note of every time Goodes gets booed when laying a tackle in congestion, winning a hit out or putting on a Shepard.

As you said, he gets booed in every involvement in the game, every time.

I was a big fan of Goodes as a player but some of his behaviour in recent years has tarnished his reputation afaic, much like Hird's behaviour has tarnished his reputation.
So... a big fan of Goodes until he started becoming more vocal on indigenous issues?

If you're going to go to these extremes, then also make note of every time Goodes gets booed when laying a tackle in congestion, winning a hit out or putting on a Shepard.

As you said, he gets booed in every involvement in the game, every time.
Okay. So every time he gets booed like that, you give me $20. Deal.

You have the right to view it as racist, irrationally. So does Adam. But that doesn't make it racism.

A lot of people don't think it's racism. The poll on here shows 30% believes there is a racial component to booing Adam. But that doesn't mean they are saying all the booing is racist.

Well according to the rationale of a few in here, if you don't fully subscribe to the belief and opinion that booing Goodes is solely a racial attack then you are a racist yourself.

So being a great player and all round nice guy that Goodes is he decided to do a war dance at paying patrons of the game he is employed by but never had to face the AFL HR department for threatening people with harm.

Seems fair he can call everyone racist then.

Those imaginary spears can do so much damage....

So... a big fan of Goodes until he started becoming more vocal on indigenous issues?
"I liked Adam Goodes until he started acting all Aboriginal"

NO, you are creating the context on the basis THAT this is the reason people boo Goodes.

There is a poll above you that you like others choose to ignore, this poll at least provides
a starting point to context.

The big lie is;

Every body who boos Goodes is a racist, bigot or moron.

This is a lie, do you support this lie.

What other lies will you support?

All you want to do is call people racists and bigots, its that simple, because the statement in bold
above is a lie.
Are we really going to discuss things in terms of slogans?

Sounds a bit like Animal Farm to me.

You have the right to view it as racist, irrationally. So does Adam. But that doesn't make it racism.

A lot of people don't think it's racism. The poll on here shows 30% believes there is a racial component to booing Adam. But that doesn't mean they are saying all the booing is racist.
I was just saying that you don't have a right to boo if it's racist. Obviously the whole argument of if it's racist or not continues, but the right to boo thing has flaws too. Personally I think it's pretty obvious that the booing comes from a racist place, whether the booer intends it to be racist or not. This all started after Goodes pointed out racism and challenged people on it.

To me that's obvious but I understand that not everyone agrees. But yeah, right to boo? Maybe not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And so it contnues.

As an indgenous australian it saddens me that in 2015, we are having these conversations.

It saddens me the total lack of understanding or acceptance of my culture.

I have no idea where this will end.

I ask, what would bigfooty people say and do if all the clubs and players said enough, stop .
Would they see the damage their actions on game day are doing to the game.

In essence the crowds are disrespecting the players.
I sit at games ad hear the abuse, racial and otherwise to players. It is sad that we as a crowd feel its okay to vent our spleen like this.

No other workplace is it acceptable to be abused, but we accept it as the norm for each and everyone of our players.

I like a lot of people on this board agree with you. For my part tho as a non anglo saxon australian i think highlighting all the faults
we have as a nation has been unearthed and put on display for everyone world wide to see. Shaming us a country will do nothing to help the
cause of multiculturalism and living in some kind of harmony. Goodes making a stand against racism and european invasion to all the PC people will be applauded and made out to be the best thing he could have done for his culture. In reality for people like myself i expect there will be some form of backlash from more people who may have held those narrow minded beliefs and in the past have just kept it to themselves. History has shown that forever there will be differences between human beings and when they cant work out how to coexist in the same area the end result is war. If anyone thinks racism will ever stop completely they are kidding themselves. Reality check 2015 style.

When did he say those things? Id be interested to see some quotes

My understanding was that others had labeled the booing as racist - and clearly not everyone was booing, but youre now saying Adam called out every single AFL spectator/fan as a 'casual racist' - wow!

Clearly not all the booing is racially motivated, if any of it is, as Ive said before Ive booed him in the past coz I don't like his style of play, others will be booing his politics and others may be booing him because hes an outspoken black man (surely that's still his politics), but other black players aren't booed in the same way. Ive booed him in exactly the same way and for the same reasons that Ive booed Nick Riewoldt, hes blonder than me but Im not booing his blondeness, just his cheating, diving style of play.

Very interested in seeing your quotes

I was just saying that you don't have a right to boo if it's racist. Obviously the whole argument of if it's racist or not continues, but the right to boo thing has flaws too. Personally I think it's pretty obvious that the booing comes from a racist place, whether the booer intends it to be racist or not. This all started after Goodes pointed out racism and challenged people on it.

To me that's obvious but I understand that not everyone agrees. But yeah, right to boo? Maybe not.

So in other words you are simply generalizing and assuming that booing is a racial taunt.. State some accepted truth behind booing being a racial taunt, if you can?

Are we really going to discuss things in terms of slogans?

Sounds a bit like Animal Farm to me.

you have a couple of terms yourself, racist and bigot.

I mentioned the poll at the top of the page you continue to ignore while
you support the big lie that this is a predominantly racist issue.

Do you support the AFL/Clubs stance that everyone who boos Goods is either a racist or a bigot.

Its a simple question, but it will tell readers in light of the poll above so much about you.

The only people mentioning racism are on Goodes' side. Everyone booing says they do it because of other reasons.
And it'd be great if any of those other reasons justified it.

In fairness, many of those who have joined in the booing and merely doing it for the novelty. But the idea of "I just boo Goodes because I don't like the way he plays" is utter crap and everyone knows it.

Those imaginary spears can do so much damage....

it's not about the 'threat'. there is no threat. anyone who felt threatened by that is as big a pussy as goodes.

but goodes is complaining about booing after he's gone and provoked the crowd which is just pathetic.

if you can provoke the crowd you can take the boos.

I see. Setting aside that Dimma is a bit of a light weight thinker to be getting truth bombs from?

I'll elaborate on his theory if we see booing continue, with some statistical analysis..

90% bullying are doing the best category
10% racism are doing the worst category

So we are back to square one with the claim that the majority is "enabling" racism. Because ALL booing is a bullying tactic. A mob of disapproval in unison shouting you down, trying to put you off. It's part of our game. It happens most to umpires and they didn't ask to be boo'd for doing their job. But they understand and accept they are polarising figures in the sport. Goodes can't accept his reputation.

I used to teach primary school kids and even they (mostly) had the emotional maturity to back off somebody when it became clear they were seriously hurting them. They didn't need polls, stats, arguments about suppression of their right to tease... It's not complex, it's just simple decency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back