The AFL is a monster!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As opposed to the same attitude the bogans in victoria have. So calling the game "Thugby" or calling the players "bum sniffers" or simply being smug arsehats by still calling it rugby after they have been corrected or by starting a weekly NRL thread dissing the code and then hiding behind the "it's not us it's them" guise etc etc

Regardless of the insult, if anything it just shows how childish and docile AFL fans can be as well as NRL fans. It's not all one way.

I agree its not all one way, there were plenty of comments about the Soccer World Cup on BigFooty and then the usual comments about other sports I follow from other random people no matter what sport they follow. Theres always going to be some knobs who are patriotic with their chosen sport.

But the intensity of the RL fans hatred for the AFL is really quite something else, and on a level I've never seen before. I thought it may have just been a small minority on LU who keep a whole subforum dedicated to talking about AFL, but obviously from the youtube clip of the Sunday Roast it runs deeper than that.

Phil Gould wouldn’t be worried about the viability of Penrith or any of the elite NRL clubs. Penrith have a pokie palace the size of a major shopping centre – they could play behind locked doors and still be rolling in cash.
His concern would be more at the grassroots level. Junior numbers for AFL, whether you count Auskick or weekend participants only, are increasing; albeit off a very low base.
The AFL have a well-packaged Auskick program which gives kids an exposure to AFL, and it’s not expensive for the schools to have it. And the AFL run the program themselves, which is a selling point for the schools where most teachers have little interest in sport and are relieved they don’t have to do anything.

Mr Gould’s long-term concern would be that if more juniors are attracted to playing AFL rather than rugby league, that would lessen the pool of players for the elite NRL competition into the future. But I don’t think he has too much to worry about. Most junior AFL players in the GWS area wouldn’t have played rugby league anyway.

The other challenge the AFL faces, even if they are successful in attracting far greater junior numbers, is to translate that into support for the elite competition. We can see from other sports that it’s not always easy. Soccer has far more juniors in the GWS area than all the other codes combined, but few of them watch Sydney FC games.

As opposed to the same attitude the bogans in victoria have. So calling the game "Thugby" or calling the players "bum sniffers" or simply being smug arsehats by still calling it rugby after they have been corrected or by starting a weekly NRL thread dissing the code and then hiding behind the "it's not us it's them" guise etc etc

Regardless of the insult, if anything it just shows how childish and docile AFL fans can be as well as NRL fans. It's not all one way.

Really? I have never seen anyone in Victoria bag out someone's sexuality simply because they favour a different sport. Saying you support AR in NSW will result in the bogans calling you gay, ****, *** and other immature shit. As I've said, I have lived in Victoria all my life and never have I heard people refer to Rugby League as 'Thugby' or 'bumsniffers', you only hear that shit on the internet, in NSW you actually get idiots calling AR 'gAyFL'. In Victoria, people either don't care about League or they have a casual interest in it, we don't carry on like ******* bogans and question someone's sexuality just because they favour a different sport like League loving bogans in NSW do.

There are bogan AFL fans who are complete and utter morons, but there is no way that there are an equal amount of bogans between the codes.

Don't worry,it is long overdue for another Roy Masters or Dean Ritchie article to surface and rally the troops.

while the afl does not have destroying nrl as its objective, it's goals and strategies may go a long way to helping achieve that. league's actual threat is rugby. to combat rugby, league needed to become truly national and be paying most of the top players (say, those that make up the international sides) $1-2 million a year each by about now.

union already has a quasi international comp running annually in every state the nrl is in + two more.

i'd say league has the rest of this decade tops before it is just too far behind.

but still doing better than soccer.

League is simply an inferior product to just about any form of football played worldwide.

If they knew their product was somehow better, if they thought it was a religion amongst average westies, if they even thought westieland was an impervious RL stronghold..they wouldnt care one bit about a single AFL team. Why care after their experience with numerous soccer teams existing side by side.

The reason they're so paranoid and stupid is that there is a bunch of idiots running NRL. Then you have the dumbest bunch of so called sports journo's all huddled together and hunkered down in their News Ltd bunkers..all under instructions to toe the line and protect the investment at all costs. They bullshit along, try to keep AFL where it cannot be easily seen, invent or twist anything that might help, invent or inflate numbers, hell even foxtel tries to hide games on main event channel deliberately on the second page of their sports directory so there's little chance anyone can accidentally find it when flicking. The clubs only exist on poker machine revenue with little if any actual club financial strength or membership. Gate takings are irrelevant coz the grounds are tiny and only the diehards bother paying money to sit in the wet watching second rate sport. In more recent years the NRL would never even make a decision without first running it by the News Ltd board member with the power of veto first. In reality its just a tiny tin pot game run by rank amateurs, set up and flogged hard to those that grew up with the game, coz they're the only ones that bother looking at it.

Its just a hybridised and bastardised version of rugby. Every year they desperately search far and wide for any way to dress it up as a product, but they know its boring as batshit to anyone with half a brain.

It exists simply as a small localised play thing for a media empire.

If it was such an NRL stronghold, and if NRL knew they had a loyal fan base, then why the hell would they be so damn paranoid about one other sport ? Forget the NRL...its a house of cards run by some of the dumbest planks you can imagine. They're just as likely to start arguing amongst themselves till they implode on their own stupidity. Its not important in the slightest what the NRL does or says.

Im not going to read through 200 posts, but I reckon Phil has it wrong.

The AFL is not thinking about how many NRL clubs it can close down. It isnt us against them.

Gould is just showing what a simplistic neanderthal he is. The AFL believe they can co-exist, and Gould dressing it up for something it isnt makes him look like a 24ct gold goose. It isnt a war.

If the AFL were worried about the NRL, the Storm would have copped a pretty hard time from them. They arent, and the Storm are living a relatively happy existence with in the city with 10 AFL clubs.

Grow up Gould, you halfwit. Fix the top end and you wont have to worry about the AFL in the same neighborhood!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gould's nutcase views were also echoed by yet another paranoid Sydney RL person in this recent article. Twice the author uses the word "kill" as well as "scorched earth" when discussing the introduction of GWS.

It's hard to know whether to laugh at or pity these buffoons.

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/league/4760-nrl-can-be-the-envy-of-the-afl-too

I have to wonder how much these guys get paid to write this stuff. Surely this is a joke? No? Really? That is sad... it is not even worth stating why/how this is so sad.

I should've become a NRL journalist. This would've taken what? 30 minutes? And even less brain-cells?

Anyways, thanks to this thread, I've discovered the pure lol's of LU. Is there a forum similar to the Bay on this forum? Or is trolling and idiocy just assumed to be standard?

I have to wonder how much these guys get paid to write this stuff. Surely this is a joke? No? Really? That is sad... it is not even worth stating why/how this is so sad.

I should've become a NRL journalist. This would've taken what? 30 minutes? And even less brain-cells?

Anyways, thanks to this thread, I've discovered the pure lol's of LU.? Is there a forum similar to the Bay on this forum? Or is trolling and idiocy just assumed to be standard?

Yes there is, the equivalent of Bay 13 on LU is a hidden board called 'The Fight Club' (it is hidden, you have to be a member to see it). If you think bay 13 is bad, TFC is a hundred times worse, they speak more anti-AFL bullshit then they do NRL.

As a matter of fact, you're more likely to get better posts on Bay 13 than their main board, lol

Yes there is, the equivalent of Bay 13 on LU is a hidden board called 'The Fight Club' (it is hidden, you have to be a member to see it). If you think bay 13 is bad, TFC is a hundred times worse, they speak more anti-AFL bullshit then they do NRL.

As a matter of fact, you're more likely to get better posts on Bay 13 than their main board, lol

Yeah, found it. :eek:

The have stickied anti-afl threads (plural - for any LU trolls, that means more than one (1))

Yeah, found it. :eek:

The have stickied anti-afl threads (plural - for any LU trolls, that means more than one (1))
Give them my love. In fact they are probably going to accuse you of being me (xman). But alas they ban people who they lose arguments to repeatedly, so I don't frequent that site anymore.

I'm sure they miss me owning them on every single argument. ;)

League completely died when Melbourne were stripped of their Premiership. From that day forward it has never stood a chance outside of Sydney and QLD. (That is if it ever did)
All the Sydneysiders would have been laughing that we lost it but in reality none of us really care and for me it only diminished whatever interest I had in the game even more.
They have taken 5 steps backwards.

Give them my love. In fact they are probably going to accuse you of being me (xman). But alas they ban people who they lose arguments to repeatedly, so I don't frequent that site anymore.

I'm sure they miss me owning them on every single argument. ;)

You tried to argue with them? LOL. As in,
ar·gue/ˈärgyo͞o/Verb

1. Give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view.

Reason? Evidence? LU? LOL

And I couldn't help notice that many LU trolls have anti-afl slogans/banners for there signature. And they think they're not insecure?

You tried to argue with them? LOL. As in,
ar·gue/ˈärgyo͞o/Verb

1. Give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view.

Reason? Evidence? LU? LOL

And I couldn't help notice that many LU trolls have anti-afl slogans/banners for there signature. And they think they're not insecure?
Funny thing is they constantly say to afl supporters (especially when you begin to annoy them) "why are you here on a sports forum dedicated to a sport you hate?"

I used to say "I'm not. All you do is talk about afl, which I love"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back