The Annual 3rd Team needed in WA thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

The only region that would sustain a 3rd team in Western Australia is from within the Peel region. The region is the fastest growing of all 9 in WA and the citizens are football mad, it would require a purpose buil stadium though not to disimilar to Skoda for GWS! The side would have a strong supporter base and I would think Eagle and Docker supporters from the area which switch within a heart beat. With a strong mining, construction, building and tourism presence the corporate backing would be premium.

A nice 22k stadium, purpose built in Mandurah would fit in nicely, in saying that I think Tasmania is chomping at the bit to get a side and have all the right fascilities and backing to pretty much plug in and take off. Peel region could easily be 2nd on the list.

Another cot case proposal !!

Hasnt Peel done wonders in the WAFL, hey lets repeat the dose in the AFL ... whilst we are at lets someone to build us a new stadium to be used 11 times a year - damn fine ideas. Any chance the wood ducks looking to fund this pipedream queue to the left, cash out please.

how far do you propose dropping the standard of play Tiges ??

You mean a team that's not linked to any particular geographic location, has a mascot that matches no known species
and claims to represent the whole state...don't we have one of those already?

Perth City/ Perth Metro it's base can be a little ambiguous. The State is broadly represented by Westcoast but that's not a rule.

Yankees v Red Socks?

West coast generic eagles, sorry dude their creation was about being generic to appeal to everyone

I'm not sure if this has a point?

It's not like Fremantle is a true suburban club of yesteryear, the vast majority of Fremantle supporters don't live in Fremantle and is few surrounding suburbs. Nor are they sailors, bohemian hipsters or distinguishable from Westcoast supporters in any way.

I suspect an AFL team named Perth would appeal more to those few in the suburb of Perth as well as those in East Perth, South Perth, West Perth, Northbridge and North Perth. Much like Fremantle in that regard, however it would also have much more broad base appeal across the Perth Metro area.

blah... has a mascot that matches no known species ...snip blah...

Wha?

The wedge tailed eagle is a certifiable (west) Australian icon.

Perhaps you dont get out of the city much... or are a complete puppet to American TV culture?

ps. what exactly a docker? Some unheard of spelling variation of "Wharfie"? Or just a plain made up word association? I can genuinely admit i never heard it related to anything other than trousers before Freo rocked up and tried to make it something its really not.

ps. what exactly a docker? Some unheard of spelling variation of "Wharfie"? Or just a plain made up word association? I can genuinely admit i never heard it related to anything other than trousers before Freo rocked up and tried to make it something its really not.

It was used to describe dock workers in the UK for centuries before an American corporation tried to claim it.

Who's the slave to American culture now?

It was used to describe dock workers in the UK for centuries before an American corporation tried to claim it.

For real? So no interest in the Aussie term for wharf workers?

I thought Freo were the salt of the earth, bread & butter, dinky-di aussie club?

And here they are with a pommy name, what. tut tut eh guv'nr.

person who unloads ships = stevedore (lol) and in common aussie slang - wharfie.

docker = straight leg, reasonably hard wearing, smart casual trousers.

it really isn't a big deal. why are we having this argument again?

*shrug

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wha?

The wedge tailed eagle is a certifiable (west) Australian icon.

Perhaps you dont get out of the city much... or are a complete puppet to American TV culture?

Wedge tails yes...west coast eagles? Never seen one of those.

Wedge tail certified WA icon? They're found all over Australia and even New Guinea. Nsw police use it on their badges. The biggest was found in Tasmania...great animal but again another generic choice for a generic team as there's nothing specifically West Australian about them....and actually here in Canberra I can see them flying over my house occasionally.

I suppose they had to keep it generic...wouldn't want to be the West Coast Wedgies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge-tailed_Eagle

person who unloads ships = stevedore (lol) and in common aussie slang - wharfie.

docker = straight leg, reasonably hard wearing, smart casual trousers.

it really isn't a big deal. why are we having this argument again?

*shrug

Because you apparently know little Australian history The Ship Painters and Dockers Union here in Australia was quite well known and in the end infamous in Melbourne. The term Docker was well known and in use across Australia and associated with certain people who worked in ports.

The Painters and Dockers' Union covered "mostly work associated with chipping, painting, scrubbing, cleaning, working in every size of tanks, cleaning boilers, docking and undocking vessels, and rigging work"

Too much American Culture for you.

An earlier poster suggested that the third team in WA could be generic...my point was and still is that West Coast is already the generic WA team as everything about it is generic not specific to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. You might not like your team being called generic but they just are...and there's no point having another generic WA team.

http://www.takver.com/history/myunion/index.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federated_Ship_Painters_and_Dockers_Union

North are actually reasonably popular over here believe it or not.

~ 3,500 members and the VFL club with the closest historical ties to WA.

Check out this for a North WA player list:

Laidley, Bryant, Steward, Wells, Swallow, Bell, Kelly, Abraham, McCann, Spencer, Glendinning ,P. Krakeour, Cable, J. Krakeour, Melrose, Michalczyk

Your most powerful club (East Fremantle) was formed by a North person and took it's colors from North.

We're certainly more historically relevant to WA football than either the Eagles or the Dockers.

~ 3,500 members and the VFL club with the closest historical ties to WA.

Check out this for a North WA player list:

Laidley, Bryant, Steward, Wells, Swallow, Bell, Kelly, Abraham, McCann, Spencer, Glendinning ,P. Krakeour, Cable, J. Krakeour, Melrose, Michalczyk

Your most powerful club (East Fremantle) was formed by a North person and took it's colors from North.

We're certainly more historically relevant to WA football than either the Eagles or the Dockers.

Well that's that then. Hope you're ready for relocation. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Annual 3rd Team needed in WA thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back