The Art of the Checkside Goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else think Smart reminds them a little of Murray from Flight of the Conchords? Just the way he speaks.

I was hesitant in watching it, expecting massive cringe factor, but that was edited really well, good job marketing team! I'm really impressed with the way the club has advertised and expanded in social media and crowd enhancers with the tribe and 19th man in the last couple of years. Their Facebook, twitter and home page have really opened up the team more to the supporters, love it :thumbsu:

Does anyone think Smart reminds them a little of Murray from Flight of the Conchords? Just the way he speaks.

I was hesitant in watching it, expecting massive cringe factor, but that was edited really well, good job marketing team! I'm really impressed with the way the club has advertised and expanded in social media and crowd enhancers with the tribe and 19th man in the last couple of years. Their Facebook, twitter and home page have really opened up the team more to the supporters, love it :thumbsu:
Good call on that, I knew he reminded me of someone!

Does anyone think Smart reminds them a little of Murray from Flight of the Conchords? Just the way he speaks.

Too right Briggzy, I thought the opening title slide was particularly good. Kudos to the AFC Marketing team.

[youtube]KfDwiRtYYyo[/youtube]

Here are the crow goals from the Essendon V Adelaide 2009 match, which were kindly uploaded by a conscientious Brett Burton fan.

Richie's checkside is at 7.20. It's INSANE that he would even attempt it, let alone NAIL it. In fact the whole video contains copious amounts of BULLS**T. Many of the goals are impressive enough on their own, but it's just LUNACY that they happen one after the other, with only FOUR mistakes in between. 21:4. Absolute joke, and one of my favourite ever non finals matches.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=4251

Yeah probably one of the best displays of goal kicking ever. Not really good goal kicking, just assy stuff that you only see once a game. This game had like 15 examples of freaky goals from both teams. Was such fun to watch. I lol at the commentators. They can't believe it!

I was at that game. Goes to show how valuable knights was on that day, brilliant player when he's on song. It was a goal kicking clinic that day, both teams barely missed.

Here are the crow goals from the Essendon V Adelaide 2009 match, which were kindly uploaded by a conscientious Brett Burton fan.

Richie's checkside is at 7.20. It's INSANE that he would even attempt it, let alone NAIL it. In fact the whole video contains copious amounts of BULLS**T. Many of the goals are impressive enough on their own, but it's just LUNACY that they happen one after the other, with only FOUR mistakes in between. 21:4. Absolute joke, and one of my favourite ever non finals matches.

That was a fun game to be at.

Dougies checkside died in the arse right at the end, which allowed it to straighten up and float through.

Great game.

That was a fun game to be at.

Dougies checkside died in the arse right at the end, which allowed it to straighten up and float through.

Great game.

I would put it up there as one of the best games I've ever been to. How many did Kurt and Tex get in the end? Something like 10 combined? I remember Tyson just ripping it up, awesome 300th. :thumbsu:

Edit: Watched the video, 9 between Tex (2) and Tippett (7) that I counted, I swear Tex kicked more than that..

Kurt and Tex had no trouble kicking straight either!!!!!!!!

From memory Kurt went 7.0 before kicking a behind late in the match. Hope we see that Kurt again this year.

I love that game too, wouldn't mind watching it again some day. Would have to be one of our all time great non finals matches.

All that checkside from Douglas proved was that he didn't have a left foot.

Meritorious, I think not.
A drop punt on the right would have been a higher percentage kick than a checkside on the left from where he was. Although both would have been better options than his, nevertheless effective, weird kick.
Still, Dougie DOES have a left, and a pretty decent one at that. He's been using it more and more over the last couple of years, and it's one of the reasons he's improved as a player, as he's getting caught much less when trying to turn on to his preferred side in traffic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A drop punt on the right would have been a higher percentage kick than a checkside on the left from where he was. Although both would have been better options than his, nevertheless effective, weird kick.
Still, Dougie DOES have a left, and a pretty decent one at that. He's been using it more and more over the last couple of years, and it's one of the reasons he's improved as a player, as he's getting caught much less when trying to turn on to his preferred side in traffic.

The checkside from the other side of the ground is an effective kick because it bends in toward the goal. From the side Douglas was, it was a last resort from being hemmed in on the boundary and not confident or adept enough to use is left. I'd never want to see a goal like that pumped up as an act of skill.

This is what players with an opposite foot do in that situation.

[YOUTUBE]UTu72th3aqg[/YOUTUBE]

Good to see my videos are getting a run :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Art of the Checkside Goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back