The Ashes, Second Test Australia v England @ The Adelaide Oval d/n 16-20 December

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible day from England, the over rate were pathetic, the bowling was shit and there body language crap

They moped around looking like they were waiting for the second new ball and then barely bowled anything that was challenging the stumps

Root bowling down leg and angling/spinning it further down. That’s pathetic try and take a wicket FFS. Just embarrassing himself

Stokes bowled well when they were working over Labuschange but again Root was far too defensive 3:6 field means he will never take the shot on you have to give him some incentive to play the shot

All in all the feeling I get from watching England today is they are a team just trying not to lose and aren’t trying to win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, been very uninspiring

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

I’m the first to bag them for not picking wood but what are they supposed to do? Four of them are line and length bowlers who spent the day bowling line and length, stokes is a bang it in bowler who banged it in (and it worked except Buttler spilled the catch). On another day - and yes I’m sure many people will say ‘oh if they bowled fuller those plays and misses might have found the edge’ - Marnus nicks one of the 25-30 he sparred at and they take 5-6 wickets for the day.

I don’t think you can fault most of their first innings bowling this series so far. Through a combination of dropped catches, luck, patience, and a great innings from Travis Head, Australia has been equal to it.

Almost like when a top bowler plays lower grades in local cricket can tend to be doing too much to get any wickets.

We played on a damp pitch last week and this left arm kid beat me about 3 times in 10 balls because the ball was seaming away and I said to him when I got off strike that he’s never gonna get me out because I’m not good enough to hit them.

Naturally I threw my wicket away to the bloke at the other end chucking absolute pies

For the kiddie's who may have no idea what you're referring to:

View attachment 1298666

Point of clarification. Although several laws have been updated since, there is nothing preventing all the fielders still being deployed on the leg side, just no more than two can field behind square leg...
Correct. This photo looks like the field to a batsman who couldn't or wasnt playing the hook/ pull shot. To one who was hooking, they would have dropped one of the backward and one of the forward short legs back to deep backward square and deep fine leg.

Those of us who have been watching England get trounced here for 30 years will be very familiar with score lines like the total in Brisbane and the day one stumps score here today but this is a vast improvement on a lot of previous bowling efforts from English sides here. They have to a) start taking their catches and b) trust that it will reap rewards if they stick at it. Problem they have is that their batting won’t allow them much time for it to pay dividends.

I have no idea what the percentage is usually but this seems low

There’s always the possibility that they just weren’t good enough but it would seem that’s a deliberate ploy especially considering that the four front liners are all noted for their general accuracy. Australian batsmen as a general rule are very good off their pads so it doesn’t surprise me that they have tried to not bowl too straight

Remove this Banner Ad

The Ashes, Second Test Australia v England @ The Adelaide Oval d/n 16-20 December

Back