The Association Football Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That's like saying Brad Hodge averaged 50 in tests.
Iykyk
It would be except Brad averaged less and also played 20 less innings than Adam.

It may have been short but averaging 61 after 30 test innings is nothing to sneeze at.

I assumed you meant best since that lot.

Johnson and Harris were a pretty good pairing there for a while.
It's such a shame that Rhino was so injury prone. Gun and very likeable. Johnson should have been so much better and for longer. Words I'd use to describe him probably aren't considered PC these days so I'll just say that he sleeps with the light on. Bloke went from destroying the Saffas with bat and ball to bowling to the left and the right in a hot minute.

It's such a shame that Rhino was so injury prone. Gun and very likeable. Johnson should have been so much better and for longer. Words I'd use to describe him probably aren't considered PC these days so I'll just say that he sleeps with the light on. Bloke went from destroying the Saffas with bat and ball to bowling to the left and the right in a hot minute.
Yep, Rhino's best was unreal.

Johnson's problems were always between the ears I think. At his best he was far more damaging than Starc but I think for reliability over an extended period of time, Starc has to edge that.

Has the World Cup gone to Head’s head? Irresponsible shots in the air. Why not try him as opener…didn’t he not so long open and scored a few runs?
He would've been a better shout than Smith if you were moving an existing player to that role.

It would be except Brad averaged less and also played 20 less innings than Adam.

It may have been short but averaging 61 after 30 test innings is nothing to sneeze at.
Hence why I said iykyk.
Hodge's average was skewed by his one double ton.

just as Voges was with a couple of big tons against fodder. Take out SL, WI and NZ who are all crap and 21 was his average. Feasted for a very short period.

Voges lasted 16 months v Hodge's one summer.
not a lot between them in timeframe

Hence why I said iykyk.
Hodge's average was skewed by his one double ton.

just as Voges was with a couple of big tons against fodder. Take out SL, WI and NZ who are all crap and 21 was his average. Feasted for a very short period.

Voges lasted 16 months v Hodge's one summer.
not a lot between them in timeframe
I don't disagree but this has been my whole point all summer with our existing squad haha.

It's no different to Kane Williamson. His average against Aus/Eng/Ind is so much lower than everyone else.

Kane Williamson is a great bat.
36-38 averages against the best isn't the worst.

14 years and 32 stands up quite well
Never said he wasn't, just that it was telling.

In the comparisons against Root/Kohli/Smith though I think it deserves to be raised.

Has anyone ever suggested he's better than those 3?
For a long time there were suggestions that he was in the conversation due to a strong average and the fact he bats at 3 unlike the others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do need to account for the fact Williamson faces all of the toughest opponents. Smith obviously doesn’t face our quicks, Kohli avoids Bumrah/Ashwin and Root never copped Anderson/Broad. In a sport with limited opponents it’s a pretty advantage when looking at career records.
Again, no one has suggested otherwise.

I don't disagree but this has been my whole point all summer with our existing squad haha.
I've seen your comments on the squad.
I just completely and utterly disagree.

The shield is now a very bowler dominated competition.
Of the top 10 run scorers this season. Excluding Ollie Davies who is essentially just starting out.

So top 10 + 11th. Webster. McSweeney. Bancroft. Whiteman. Wakim. Handscomb. Manenti. Clayton. Silk. Jewell.
Not 1 player listed averages 50 at first class level. In fact none average 40.

Even going further down the list to former capped players. Harris. Renshaw. Burns. Henriques. Cartright. Maddinson.
All no different. None with an average above 40.

Plain as day that our current group is the best we have.

Rhino broke down constantly because he was fat and had too many beers, by his own admission. Having a Shane Warne diet in a job which is already so hard on the knees isn't a recipe for long term success.

When? I can't think of a weaker one this century.
2018 when Warner and Smith were suspended and we had Finch and Harris opening. In terms of before sandpaper, the 2015 series vs NZ was at least on par (I'd still say it was weaker).

Burns
Warner
Smith
Voges
S. Marsh
M. Marsh
Nevill

Rhino broke down constantly because he was fat and had too many beers, by his own admission. Having a Shane Warne diet in a job which is already so hard on the knees isn't a recipe for long term success.
But it made him infinitely more likeable than most of the flogs to represent Australia since the good old days.

Apparently Vics don't do it better than those out west. 100 run lead to the sandgropers.
The Vics aren't that bad, they just turn into mental midgettes every time they play WA, like how NZ do every time they play Aus. Some of the shots they got out to were appalling

The Vics aren't that bad, they just turn into mental midgettes every time they play WA, like how NZ do every time they play Aus. Some of the shots they got out to were appalling
WA host the Shield final again.

The clear standouts in domestic cricket in recent times.

WA host the Shield final again.

The clear standouts in domestic cricket in recent times.
Oh this will be good, what's funny Art Vandelay_

They've won the last two Sheffield Shield's, five of the last seven ODI comp's, Perth have won two of the last three Big Bash's.

It's not even close.

BBL doesn't matter. Shit format of cricket.
Literally irrelevant.

None of the shields top 20 bats outside O. davies whose just started average 40.

They're not great, they're just the least worst.
And contributing just as little to arrest the issues with the national batting line-up.

Very overrated group of cricketers as very few will have meaningful Aus careers. Green and...

The last 5 years there has been hype and hysteria around Cartwright, Bancroft, Whiteman (next keeper he was apparently), Inglis, Phillipe, Richardson, Agar.

Hopefully Morris and Hardie can be different.

BBL doesn't matter. s**t format of cricket.
Literally irrelevant.

None of the shields top 20 bats outside O. davies whose just started average 40.

They're not great, they're just the least worst.
And contributing just as little to arrest the issues with the national batting line-up.

Very overrated group of cricketers as very few will have meaningful Aus careers. Green and...

The last 5 years there has been hype and hysteria around Cartwright, Bancroft, Whiteman (next keeper he was apparently), Inglis, Phillipe, Richardson, Agar.

Hopefully Morris and Hardie can be different.
**** me, what a statement.

Australia didn't beat NZ, they were just the least worst. We didn't retain the Ashes, we were just the least worst.

I don't give a shit about who plays for Australia. I'm clearly talking about domestic success and they're the best at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back