Team Captain
Jul 21, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Drug issue is not a crisis, but all-out war
Caroline Wilson
March 25, 2007

AS EACH day brings us closer to the start of another glorious AFL season, so it is that every 24 hours comes another chapter in an ugly drama which makes us wonder whether football will truly witness a fresh and innocent new dawn ever again.

Frankly it came as no surprise to learn that Daniel Kerr was dealing with convicted criminals. But to hear those taped conversations on the ABC, the lifestyle it reflected and the names Kerr mentioned was chilling.

Caro is a great journo, and I dont know why she cops a baggging for not being visually splendid, 'cos I'd like to see the other halfs of her detractors.

But I have to say: Caro, if your going to have botox or collagen in the lips, dont wear a high gloss lipstick soon after. It wasnt a good look on offsiders this morn.

So the AFL is off the hook because the drug users supposedly know about masking agents? Shouldn't they be testing for those as well?

With the number of tests that the AFL conducts each year currently, you would be lucky to be even tested once a year. Caro thinks this is enough apparently and that increased testing wouldn't help. Can someone explain this thought process to me? Or is it just her saving face by not questioning the AFL and its drug policy?

Piss poor effort in my opinion, just rehashing the same old info we have been reading about for a week or three now.:thumbsdown:

Wonder what it was that Samantha Druce saw at Daniel Chicks house?

No, this is a war. And it looms as an engagement that will require everything that is good and strong and wise about the game if it is to be fought in any meaningful way.
Im sure all the diggers who march on ANZAC Day will be impressed seeing their nightmarish experience compared to a few youngs blokes taking illicit drugs :rolleyes:

Caro is pathetic :thumbsdown:

Finally someone is putting a bit of heat on Woosha,Nissy and Cuba Gooding junior.

About time.
What exactly did you want them to do?

They have stated that they questioned players about their behaviour, and rumours that circulate around a small city and the player(s) basically lied to their faces. If the performance of a player such as Cousins, at training and on game day, is to such a high standard as to him widely being touted as one of the fittest and hard working players of the game, then what as his employer is the club supposed to do?

He tells them he doesn't have a problem, he tells his manager/father he doesn't have a problem, he works as hard or harder than any other member of the team, he is consistantly in the top 3 players come fairest and best time. Until such time that it effects his performance as an employee (ie he starts to miss training) there is little the club can do.

If the AFL had a program for drug testing that would see players tested on a regular basis and then informed the clubs of any positive tests, (this doesn't mean make their names public, but the coach and club doctor would be a good start) then maybe these people wouldn't fall through the net.

Similarly if the clubs were allowed to test their players if they suspected there was a problem. This should be wriitten into player contracts so that everyone is crystal clear from the get go. If you dont want to be randomly tested for drugs by your club then dont play in the AFL, simple.

Caro is a great journo, and I dont know why she cops a baggging for not being visually splendid, 'cos I'd like to see the other halfs of her detractors.

But I have to say: Caro, if your going to have botox or collagen in the lips, dont wear a high gloss lipstick soon after. It wasnt a good look on offsiders this morn.

Should have seen her a fortnight ago. She looked like a bloodhound chewing a wasps nest.

And am I the only bloke not to know about our Johnno's issues? Cheeky bitch is slagging footy royalty there. Drove past him on Friday in Camberwell and he seemed a bit trimmer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im sure all the diggers who march on ANZAC Day will be impressed seeing their nightmarish experience compared to a few youngs blokes taking illicit drugs :rolleyes:

Caro is pathetic :thumbsdown:

Don't be stupid.

The term war is used in every context imaginable, just because it is Caro, its now politcally incorrect. :rolleyes:

The best part about Caro is she tells it "warts and all". Clubs and fans may not like it but covering these things up does no good at all.

Carlton was a complete rabble and she said so. They finally got their act together and are looking viable and confident again. I'd say she did them a favour in the long run.

West Coast and the AFL heirachy must be held fully accountable for what has happened re drugs. WC fans, their decent hardworking players and families, and all parents with young boys dreaming of an AFL career deserve nothing less.

i think i know who the player was that voss threatened. im not too sure but ive known that player personally so I wouldnt be surprised.
again with fletcher. stop accusing him with substance abuse you stupid old raggy bitch. it was booze and we'll know that for sure sometime this week.

c. wilson is a joke. no need to read her exaggerated articles.

The men at the top — John Worsfold, Trevor Nisbett and Dalton Gooding — are shattered but surely they knew their club's culture had been infected with an insidious social disease long ago. Surely Worsfold knew of Cousins' growing addiction before last winter?

Clubs love to tell outsiders that unless you are in the inner sanctum you can never really know what is going on. But in the case of the West Coast drug problem, evidence had been mounting for some years. The police told them, Ken Judge told them, senior players told them and player managers told them. We questioned them about it — some of us repeatedly — and they denied it.

Caro is pointing the finger at Worsfold, Nisbett and Gooding. But how about pointing the finger at Vlad as well? Are we supposed to believe he had no idea about what was going on.

Where does the buck stop?

Caro has obviously known plenty about this for ages, so why didn't she blow the whistle before?

Come on Caro tell us what Samantha Druce saw, as you obviously know that as well.

i think i know who the player was that voss threatened. im not too sure but ive known that player personally so I wouldnt be surprised.

spiderman.gif

best way to describe the person lol lol. beside yourself browny is it well known by the brisbane fans?

I think so.

There was also a drunken, car wrapped round a pole outside a popular Brisbane nightspot, police called, "don't you know who I am?" incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

The best article Caroline Wilson has ever written

Remove this Banner Ad

Back