Universal Love The best little things about having won the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the only commentator that repeatedly tipped Hawks in the big ones was McClure.

I still laugh out aloud when I look back at how nearly all the 'experts' got blind-sided by Freo's win over Swans at Paterson and tipped them to win the GF!

Rohan Connally was the only other one I can think of that consistently tipped the Hawks throughout the finals. They were few and far between.

The best little thing about the flag is that as a 45 year old my average of premierships per years alive is still less than one every 5 years. A neat 4.5 as we speak.
Got some mates on 46 and living in the west some others on 0 :eek:

I noted that McClure turned mid way through the season. He had been going hard at us for the last 2 years for not stepping up in big games and losing close ones, knocking our leaders. But I think mid this season, he turned and was pumping us up non-stop. Was definitely on us all finals series.

His criticism was founded though. We let ourselves down in a lot of big games. I'll admit I used to think he was just biased and had a chip on his shoulder when it came to us but in hindsight he was pretty spot on with where we were at at all stages of our journeys. Will certainly be taking notice of what he says about things in 2014.

His criticism was founded though. We let ourselves down in a lot of big games. I'll admit I used to think he was just biased and had a chip on his shoulder when it came to us but in hindsight he was pretty spot on with where we were at at all stages of our journeys. Will certainly be taking notice of what he says about things in 2014.
But you can say that about any team that hasn't win the flag.
Freo let themselves down against us twice this year
Geelong let themselves down in two big games this year. And the Freo final last year, etc.

But you can say that about any team that hasn't win the flag.
Freo let themselves down against us twice this year
Geelong let themselves down in two big games this year. And the Freo final last year, etc.

I'm referring to his general demeanor towards us over 2012 and 2013. 2012 he called us things like 'chokers' and 'flat track bullies' and then throughout 2013 he started to acknowledge us as the team to beat and that we wouldn't "choke" this time.

We may not agree with the names he labelled us with but his rating of us was correct. We were the best team in 2012 but occasionally struggled when the pressure was on. 2013 we were the best team and we wouldn't let anything stop us. He saw that and said it when everyone else was too busy having a circle jerk over Freo's pressure.

The best little thing is the silence from all the geelong, sydney, essendon, collingwood, carlton, richmond and north melbourne fans. I remember every little gloat and gibe, the prod and push, the bullshit and bias and the complete ignorance that has come from you all (seemingly, please exclude yourself if applicable). We won, we deserved it and all other teams must concede we are the premiers until next year and then who knows maybe this silence can continue.

All the little features in the media for the next year, like top billing on the cover of the AFL fixture.

ab4f71a8572211e381a312a4149c821a_8.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching replays of games during the year on Foxtel 'catch up'. I'm watching the Rd 7 game against the Swans right now. My God, we played some absolutely scintillating, utterly unstoppable premiership football in the first quarter and a half of that game. Because it was pretty early in the season, I had forgotten how good we were that night. Irresistible, I strongly recommend you watch it if you can...

Watching replays of games during the year on Foxtel 'catch up'. I'm watching the Rd 7 game against the Swans right now. My God, we played some absolutely scintillating, utterly unstoppable premiership football in the first quarter and a half of that game. Because it was pretty early in the season, I had forgotten how good we were that night. Irresistible, I strongly recommend you watch it if you can...
Scratch that, the entire 1st half.

Cheers. Have all the wins saved on the TV box. Next game will be this one.

Prior to the finals I rated that our best game for the season. Might have been the only one where we played the full four quarters. Faultless display against the previous year's premiers, what more can you do? After that match I just knew we would be serious contenders this year.

Prior to the finals I rated that our best game for the season. Might have been the only one where we played the full four quarters. Faultless display against the previous year's premiers, what more can you do? After that match I just knew we would be serious contenders this year.
It certainly didn't come anywhere near to erasing the pain of 2012, but man, did it make a statement about 2013....

I get a kick out of seeing cars with Hawthorn premiership stickers on the back.

So happy to now have mine on my little Jazz. At least next year I won't have Swan fans giving me the thumbs up at red lights (all in good humour) unless Buddy .........

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love The best little things about having won the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back