Universal Love The best little things about having won the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the finals series again, I'm stoked at witnessing the emergence of young guns such as Gunners and Hill. There's a lot of upside to these guys and yet they're already exciting supporters with their style of play. Looking forward to seeing guys like these blossom over the next year or two and really stamping their mark on the Hawthorn dominance of the 2010's.

Watching the finals series again, I'm stoked at witnessing the emergence of young guns such as Gunners and Hill. There's a lot of upside to these guys and yet they're already exciting supporters with their style of play. Looking forward to seeing guys like these blossom over the next year or two and really stamping their mark on the Hawthorn dominance of the 2010's.

Just watched Gunston's highlights package on the Hawks website, and now have a big :) on my face. I reckon they left a few out too, it didn't include his genuflecting handball to Burgoyne in the prelim which resulted in a goal. If he continues to improve as much next year as he has this year he will be sensational. He's a smart player too and very composed for such a young player, don't recall any clangers from him this year (but maybe I've conveniently erased them from my memory :oops:).

That's why the AFL will orchestrate anything they can as the HFC is to be admired so much for bean the most successful club since the sixties good and smart organization. Snooze and you loose AFL with your toughest fixture..etc
The recruiting in the last few years has been excellent... Brian Lake was a masterstroke, Gunston continues to prove himself as a big match performer in the finals at still such young age another piece of masterstroke recruiting by the club, such was his faith in Gunston, Clarkson was able to play Franklin further afield than the forward 50 metre arc.;)
Isaac Smith kicked a goal from 60m, when Luke Breust snapped truly from a stoppage and when Brad Hill found himself alone in the goal square, and dribbled the footy through for the game-winner, the noise was as deep as thunder. And always, the biggest roar is for the end, when reality sets in that you've just won another Premiership:)
Every grand final matters, but the one that matters the most is the most recent one!:thumbsu:
That's what premierships are, they're priceless.;):thumbsu:
It's unleashed with such a furious surge of relief and adventure and elation that, for Hawthorn fans, it will be something always cherished and always remembered.
The Hawks won their 11th AFL premiership.:thumbsu:
The victory was an ascension to greatness. The Hawks were the best performed team this year, so, dutifully, the premiership flag was deserved....Clarkson is a cracking coach, certainly winning a second premiership makes him a legend of the club.:thumbsu:
For the mastermind Ross Lyon, it was his fourth Grand Final loss in four attempts.:p:D

Living in Perth, I love the awkwardness of purple supporters whenever the conversation swings to football. It's small & simple but it's nice to know that we ruined their year & ensured that they remained success-free for at least another year. :)

Living in Perth, I love the awkwardness of purple supporters whenever the conversation swings to football. It's small & simple but it's nice to know that we ruined their year & ensured that they remained success-free for at least another year. :)

Following on from this - I have to repeat this joke... "What ship has not landed in Freemantle"
"The PremierSHIP":D

On the 29th, I'm going to be taking my kids down to see the Premiership Cup & have photos taken with it. This will be the second time in my life that I will have been able to do this with the current premiership cup, which is more than 1563 St Kilda players, 975 Footscray/Bulldogs players, 485 Melbourne players since 1964, 303 Richmond players since 1980 & 175 Fremantle players (everybody except Peter Bell) have been able to do. That's a pretty special feeling.

Watching us belt the bombers at present. Hard to believe it was 1 v 2 round 17 of the season. They were garbage.

Yeah what a great night that was. (was rd 18)

When it's 1st vs 2nd there's always that lingering thought that 2nd might step it up and overtake first.

They actually had us on the back foot in the first quarter. They kicked the first two goals, and our kicking efficiency was down to 60% (versus 90%) halfway through the quarter. But then we stepped up a gear and didn't look back.

Must be really disheartening for another club's supporters when they try so hard and fall so short. THinking of how Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon have all fared against us in the last couple of seasons.

Must be really disheartening for another club's supporters when they try so hard and fall so short. THinking of how Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon have all fared against us in the last couple of seasons.
And long may it continue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay of the prelim on Foxfooty now. Knowing the result and listening to the commentary. The reactions from geelong's coach when things don't go their way.
But with a heavy heart also knowing max and goo won't be with us next year.

1) Celebrating the win with my six year old son. We didn't go to the game (I doubt he'd concentrate for the whole match so we decided to watch at home) but the thrill of running through the streets of Preston waving our flags with cars tooting their horns, local kids high fiving us and the dude at the Indian Takeaway giving us a big thumbs up was a great father-son moment. It's also hopefully cemented him as a Hawk for life.

2) Going to All Tomorrow's Parties and wearing my premiership cap and copping "Go Hawks" comments all day made a great festival even better.

Watching us capitulate to Richmond in Rd.19 then turning to ourselves and saying "that wasn't good enough and this is not what we are about".

The remainder of our season unfolded like this:

Rd.20 - Hawthorn 102-56 St Kilda (Hawthorn by 46pts)
Rd.21 - Hawthorn 119-84 Collingwood (Hawthorn by 35pts)
Rd.22 - North Melbourne 103-117 Hawthorn (Hawthorn by 14pts)
Rd.23 - Sydney 100-112 Hawthorn (Hawthorn by 12pts)
QF.1 - Hawthorn 105-51 Sydney (Hawthorn by 54pts)
PF.1 - Hawthorn 102-97 Geelong (Hawthorn by 5pts)
GF - Hawthorn 77-62 Fremantle (Hawthorn by 15pts) AFL Premiers 2013

A measure of a great team is how they respond to adversity and defeat. I think we showed what we were made of in 2013.

Watching us capitulate to Richmond in Rd.19 then turning to ourselves and saying "that wasn't good enough and this is not what we are about".

The remainder of our season unfolded like this:

Rd.20 - Hawthorn 102-56 St Kilda (Hawthorn by 46pts)
Rd.21 - Hawthorn 119-84 Collingwood (Hawthorn by 35pts)
Rd.22 - North Melbourne 103-117 Hawthorn (Hawthorn by 14pts)
Rd.23 - Sydney 100-112 Hawthorn (Hawthorn by 12pts)
QF.1 - Hawthorn 105-51 Sydney (Hawthorn by 54pts)
PF.1 - Hawthorn 102-97 Geelong (Hawthorn by 5pts)
GF - Hawthorn 77-62 Fremantle (Hawthorn by 15pts) AFL Premiers 2013

A measure of a great team is how they respond to adversity and defeat. I think we showed what we were made of in 2013.

I know this is meant to be a warm and fuzzy thread and not a whinging and whining one but, fair dinkum, when I look at that QF score line with us winning by 54 points it makes it all the more annoying that all the commentators were getting so excited by Freo beating the Swans by a mere 25 points. I know, it was Freo and their matches are not normally high scoring but honestly, why weren't the commentators in raptures about Hawthorn when we put Sydney away by 54 points for crying out loud? :mad: (rant over...)

Be nice to add a couple more teams to that list. Richmond and Geelong come to mind...

Hell.... why stop there? Let's dominate everyone for ever!!!! :D

It would also be nice to be the last club to eventually lose to the likes of the Giants and the Suns. I know, now I am just being greedy!

I know this is meant to be a warm and fuzzy thread and not a whinging and whining one but, fair dinkum, when I look at that QF score line with us winning by 54 points it makes it all the more annoying that all the commentators were getting so excited by Freo beating the Swans by a mere 25 points. I know, it was Freo and their matches are not normally high scoring but honestly, why weren't the commentators in raptures about Hawthorn when we put Sydney away by 54 points for crying out loud? :mad: (rant over...)

Just another thing that made winning the flag all that better.

I think the only commentator that repeatedly tipped Hawks in the big ones was McClure.

I still laugh out aloud when I look back at how nearly all the 'experts' got blind-sided by Freo's win over Swans at Paterson and tipped them to win the GF!

I think the only commentator that repeatedly tipped Hawks in the big ones was McClure.

I still laugh out aloud when I look back at how nearly all the 'experts' got blind-sided by Freo's win over Swans at Paterson and tipped them to win the GF!

I noted that McClure turned mid way through the season. He had been going hard at us for the last 2 years for not stepping up in big games and losing close ones, knocking our leaders. But I think mid this season, he turned and was pumping us up non-stop. Was definitely on us all finals series.

Read that article a couple of times. It reinforces our spoilt our supporters are, but how well run and how great an organisation we support.

There is a line in the article about how it only took 17 years to return to greatness. What hits me is that in that time our club nearly died and our supporters were getting impatient. I can't fathom how doggies, saints, demons and tigers fans feel. Also since '61 that's the longest we've had to wait.

Enjoy this as we learnt last year nothing is guaranteed and we don't know when our next flag will be delivered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love The best little things about having won the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back