Universal Love The best little things about having won the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just thinking. Yep a bit scary. Now we have won the premiership and are one of the most successful teams ever. I would like us to lead on and off the field and as supporters be genuinely admired if possible. It is a massive ask with people from all walks of life and differing personalities and reasons for supporting Hawthorn but I want to support a team who is not only admired on the field but opposition supporters feel envious of us and may even jump ship.
I think a good start would be to look at why we hate opposition supporters or even the club and try and be the supporters we admire the most. I post this here because the best thing about having won the flag is we have the opportunity of being the bigger people. The next time we have the Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Geelong 'people' (I say with restrained anger) being themselves in the stand I would love to say to them that "the behaviour you are displaying is precisely why I support Hawthorn and why we will always be Hawthorn"

In saying that I also think it is vitally important we can use a space like this to bag the shit out of opposition and gloat on a victory and generally be the d@#$h&*d we may instinctively want to be.

This is the sort of thing people hate about Hawthorn supporters. Sounds a bit snooty. Not a stereotype I'm keen on propagating for our club, personally.
Thanks for the feedback. I have no idea how to do it. I am usually a give as good as I get sort of bloke and the above statement is not my usual way. So I ask, how do we be the better person and not come off "snooty"?
How do we become the best of supporters?

This is the sort of thing people hate about Hawthorn supporters. Sounds a bit snooty. Not a stereotype I'm keen on propagating for our club, personally.
What is it that people hate about Hawthorn supporters?
Are you saying that people already hate us for trying to be better supporters or just the snooty bit?
I have been in a few scraps at the footy and not always been the best of supporters but I want to change. I guess it would be great to have a way of doing this that enhances the club and other supporters reputation. I hope you have something positive to add and not just "it sounds snooty". I don't mean this critically just from a practical point of view because I like snooty at this stage rather than like a coll, ess, geel etc fan.

Thanks for the feedback. I have no idea how to do it. I am usually a give as good as I get sort of bloke and the above statement is not my usual way. So I ask, how do we be the better person and not come off "snooty"?

Do not respond at all just continue to cheer your own team. Spectemur Agendo.

Anyone who gets upset with $wan$ flogs for continuously bringing up 2012 now know how geelong fans felt for 5 years when we couldn't beat them and all most people came up with was 2008. Only difference is Ablett Jnr went to GC instead of us.

Anyone who gets upset with $wan$ flogs for continuously bringing up 2012 now know how geelong fans felt for 5 years when we couldn't beat them and all most people came up with was 2008. Only difference is Ablett Jnr went to GC instead of us.

Difference is, as your sig alludes to, we didn't beat Geelong with any advantages not extended to them as well. Both teams played within the same rules. Sydney on the other hand had a list comprised of players obtained and retained through a larger salary cap which as we all can see is ludicrously unwarranted given the recent signings they've made in the last 15 months.

Difference is, as your sig alludes to, we didn't beat Geelong with any advantages not extended to them as well. Both teams played within the same rules. Sydney on the other hand had a list comprised of players obtained and retained through a larger salary cap which as we all can see is ludicrously unwarranted given the recent signings they've made in the last 15 months.

I agree with you, but they are playing within the rules they are given to play within. We are doing the same. Therein lies the problem. But the point I was trying to make was that 2008 is just as irrelevant as 2012 is.

I agree with you, but they are playing within the rules they are given to play within. We are doing the same. Therein lies the problem. But the point I was trying to make was that 2008 is just as irrelevant as 2012 is.

They are playing within a different set of rules though. Hence their win over us can never be compared to ours over Geelong.

Both the losers of the Grand Finals in those respective years were the best side all season and beaten on the day by another good team. That's where the similarities end. The key difference is that our team was put together on the same level playing field as Geelong, while Sydney's playing field was 9.8% higher than our own.

One your comparing apples with apples and the other is apples and oranges.

Makes no difference those games will never be able to be played again. We can talk all we want about the benefits the AFL give the swans. The majority of our supporter base on here would bring up 2008 GF when cats were trolling us, it seemed stupid as we didn't even make the 8 in 2009 and they won the flag. Same as the $wan$ fans, their premiership defence was limp and were lucky to make top 4 and we embarrassed them 3 times this year. The fact they go on about 2012 like we're bitter portrays them as flogs as the only premiership won that counts for anything is 2013. Furthermore IMO, the only premiership that I am really thinking about is 2014.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching more replays, does anyone else actually think Hodge is damn nearly as good on his right and left foot as Mitch is?
I'd say he's nearly as ambidextrous as Sam...perhaps not quite. He certainly doesn't have any issues kicking on the right. Sam bamboozles opponents by exploiting this ability. Although Hodgey is good on the right, you get the feeling he would rather kick on his left. With Sam he truly isn't fussed about either foot.

I think Hodge is less adventurous on his right than his left. As good as his left is, he does muck a few which coming out of HB can hurt - on his right he is more cautious & whilst probably not as 'good' as his left, he gives me confidence that he'll get the ball to the advantage of his target. Like Suckling, Hodge's left (when he gets it correct) creates advantage in what would otherwise be a 50/50. IMO, with his right, he puts the ball in a dangerous area to the advantage of our player & makes our player win the ball, which they often do.

Does any of that make sense?

I think Hodge is less adventurous on his right than his left. As good as his left is, he does muck a few which coming out of HB can hurt - on his right he is more cautious & whilst probably not as 'good' as his left, he gives me confidence that he'll get the ball to the advantage of his target. Like Suckling, Hodge's left (when he gets it correct) creates advantage in what would otherwise be a 50/50. IMO, with his right, he puts the ball in a dangerous area to the advantage of our player & makes our player win the ball, which they often do.

Does any of that make sense?

It does, but would easily be summarised as, Hodge is great, don't doubt Hodge. Ever.:p

But seriously I think you are right in the assessment that on his left he sometimes does bite off more than he can chew a la Suckling, but on his right he just makes sure he gets it to a target, which makes you think he is just as good on his right as his left.

Reminding Carlton supporters that they are now 3 flags behind since 1960, and are 19 years between drinks in season 2014. It is just brilliant!

Reminding South Melbourne supporters that there is a reason why they are nothing but shit and that even with their concessions they still have only managed two afl flags.

Letting cats supporters know that on the big stage the big boys come to play and that they are nothing but country *unts. Also to remind them that their streak counted for f uck all! We would have beaten them in the 11 GF and they know it.

KOLOKOTRONIS

I like to have a laugh at the footy. I will say uncharitable things about opposition clubs and players and umpires, but at the same time I will applaud good play from the opposition. When an opposition supporter goes over board, I don't tell him off or emit a disapproving vibe, I laugh at his expense. I might tell him to lighten up, or I might counter his argument by yelling it to the field and let him hear me the same way I heard him.

If someone's saying something negative about our players in the same spirit as I am about theirs, that's what I call a fun day at the footy.

This is not necessarily how I think everyone should behave, it's just how I do.
What is it that people hate about Hawthorn supporters?
Are you saying that people already hate us for trying to be better supporters or just the snooty bit?
I have been in a few scraps at the footy and not always been the best of supporters but I want to change. I guess it would be great to have a way of doing this that enhances the club and other supporters reputation. I hope you have something positive to add and not just "it sounds snooty". I don't mean this critically just from a practical point of view because I like snooty at this stage rather than like a coll, ess, geel etc fan.

It's snooty to say our club is inherently classier and that that's what makes us us. Even if you feel like that's true, the classy way believe that is by not saying anything about it. Just let it be true if you think it is, if you try to use it as ammunition against other supporters that's just a different way of being an ugly supporter. You're trying to accomplish with a sense of moral superiority what they're trying to accomplish with expletives. You're trying to shit on the opposition. Comes off snooty.

I don't think it's necessary to collude as a supporter base and decide how to behave as a unit. If there is a commonality in the behaviour of certain supporter groups, that's the sort of thing that just develops naturally. Let's just back ourselves.

Well then, call me snooty, as I believe that:

1. The Hawks are the best club in the AFL.

2. The Hawks are the best sporting club in the World

3. Following the Hawks means you are a privileged and special person, and all other Hawk supporters are your family.

Signed

Snooty Davo23

Well then, call me snooty, as I believe that:

1. The Hawks are the best club in the AFL.

2. The Hawks are the best sporting club in the World

3. Following the Hawks means you are a privileged and special person, and all other Hawk supporters are your family.

Signed

Snooty Davo23

Good on you. I'm inclined to agree, just quietly. But I wouldn't go around rubbing peoples noses in it in a combative fashion (well, not without my tongue in my cheek, anyway).
That would be vulgar.

We are privileged. Don't let's carry it like Paris Hilton.

Getting to buy a Premiership Beach towel.

Bought this for my son for Xmas they can be purchased from from Herald Sun

I think most football supporters are much the same in that they are a mirror image of the other side’s maniacs and Hawthorn supporters are no worse and no better than any other and I hope it stays that way with one evolving difference.

I suffer from a debilitating disease called turnstile fever. Note I said debilitating which means it only gets worse and is incurable. Going to a Hawthorn game with me used to be a rather dangerous day out and I often had trouble having friends and acquaintances mix with me during a game and immediately after a game. I would enter the turnstile with a group of friends only to find myself alone once inside ground. All the friends had disappeared. No one dared to be with me after a game.

Like, who goes into the Albion Inn immediately after a Collingwood thrashing and telling everyone in black and white that they couldn’t fight their way out of a paper bag? Actually it wasn’t all that bad because being Collingwood supporters, and therefore very slow thinkers, it was necessary to stand on the bar and shout abuse at them. Only then would they get it. Yet it was still not all that dangerous because I was a Hawthorn supporter who only deserved pity. The general attitude was ‘don’t worry mate you will win a game someday. I would buy you a beer but my girlfriend is still on the street'. That was it. We were pitied, patronised, laughed at and treated with contempt

And that, my friends, is how it used to be. Being a Hawthorn supporter allowed one to get away with the most outrageous acts of stupidity without any savage retribution. No one cared about us, we were irrelevant.

And then things changed, slowly at first, gradually gaining momentum before developing into an unstoppable fire storm. Hawthorn started to win games. For goodness sake Hawthorn started to win Premierships. By 1961 there was no way I would go to the Albion Inn and stand on the bar and shout abuse. Collingwood got the wobbles and became the bridesmaids, Geelong the Handbags, Melbourne irrelevant, South Melbourne and Fitzroy were as good as dead (actually they were dead), Footscray still celebrating it’s one premiership, North and St Kilda yet to win a premiership (anything actually) and Essendon, Carlton and Richmond were rotting from the head. Evolution was there before our eyes and the Hawthorn Football Club was the exploding Atom behind that evolution.

The change in attitudes of club supporters was dramatic. Hawthorn became the dominant force where, once, a good play from a Hawthorn player was politely clapped by the Hawks and even by opposition supporters. Hawthorn became more vocal, more aggressive even feral and opposition supporters started to hate, started to fear and finally jealous and (even though they would never admit it) RESPECT Hawthorn. Now a Collingwood supporter can go to the Ricoh Centre and abuse anything Hawthorn and nobody would take any notice because nobody cares. Maybe someone would go up to him/her and offer to buy a scotch for him/her to drown their sorrows.

That is the best thing about winning not just the 2013 Premiership but winning all the Premierships. It’s not just bragging rights, it’s not just a comfortable feel good vibe, it’s not continuously counting the number of Premierships and mathematical averages, it's not about showing off fancy paraphernalia, it’s not even now being the hunted...

It is about hawthorn being what every other club and supporter wishes they are.

Ah, I just started out to say that I disagree with Hawthorn being the tolerant champion and trying to put us on a different, superior cloud.

I want to maintain the rage and I want to be hated. Let’s give it to the bastards.

I like to have a laugh at the footy. I will say uncharitable things about opposition clubs and players and umpires, but at the same time I will applaud good play from the opposition. When an opposition supporter goes over board, I don't tell him off or emit a disapproving vibe, I laugh at his expense. I might tell him to lighten up, or I might counter his argument by yelling it to the field and let him hear me the same way I heard him.

If someone's saying something negative about our players in the same spirit as I am about theirs, that's what I call a fun day at the footy.

This is not necessarily how I think everyone should behave, it's just how I do.

It's snooty to say our club is inherently classier and that that's what makes us us. Even if you feel like that's true, the classy way believe that is by not saying anything about it. Just let it be true if you think it is, if you try to use it as ammunition against other supporters that's just a different way of being an ugly supporter. You're trying to accomplish with a sense of moral superiority what they're trying to accomplish with expletives. You're trying to shit on the opposition. Comes off snooty.

I don't think it's necessary to collude as a supporter base and decide how to behave as a unit. If there is a commonality in the behaviour of certain supporter groups, that's the sort of thing that just develops naturally. Let's just back ourselves.
Sounds good to me. That is why this is a great forum to ask the questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love The best little things about having won the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back