The Big 4 If It Were Decided Today

Remove this Banner Ad

It's largely irrelevant but the big 4 is the big 4. It doesn't change every few years depending on on-field success, it is a concept pretty well built into AFL tradition. See if it changes in 30-40 years then come speak to me.

It's not a contest...

There's a big four (which really means sweet FA).

And their not in it.... Close thread?

I'd consider both Geelong & Richmond to be more successful clubs than Hawthorn. When you've won more wooden spoons than premierships, you tend to ignore the 1925 to 1961 period. It took until 1957 for Hawthorn to reach a finals series & the period post 1961 was underpinned by clubs being gifted zones, which produced Dermie, Matthews, Mew, Ayres & co. In the drafting era & post the retirement of the last of their 80's side, they have only played in 2 PF's, not a great record.

Dermie came from Frankston and Matthews from Bonbeach,both St. Kilda zones you woulda thought.

Dermie came from Frankston and Matthews from Bonbeach,both St. Kilda zones you woulda thought.

St. Kilda's zone was Ballarat. Hawthorn had the Morington Pensu. (where Dermie & Matthews came from) & out to Warrigul, Wonthaggi & Morwell (where they got the Abletts). Population wise, it was the biggest zone out of any club.

I enjoy being confident in my club and am fine knowing we swap in and out of top spot with Collingwood.

I hope Perth never get an MCG sized stadium. If they did West Coast would embarass us all.

Of course the weather for the Geelong/Hawthorn was swimming right (8 degrees and sheeted rain) :rolleyes:

Why not look at the highest drawing Grand Final/s of say the last 25 years
quick to persecute a man for a convenient argument, and then throw one out there yourself.

why not look at the highest drawing grand finals of say..... ever? ;)

I enjoy being confident in my club and am fine knowing we swap in and out of top spot with Collingwood.

I hope Perth never get an MCG sized stadium. If they did West Coast would embarass us all.
only because they are in a 2 club town, where they were the first team...

credit where credit is due though, that organization has been run perfectly on and off the field since day dot, successful on field, and off fild, are the purest example in the afl of how to run a business

(Log in to remove this ad.)

quick to persecute a man for a convenient argument, and then throw one out there yourself.

why not look at the highest drawing grand finals of say..... ever? ;)

We'll you've completely missed the point of my post then

I hardly think a like for like comparison for the 1st week of the finals was a fair comparison considering the weather, particularly when the Hawthorn/Geelong final drew 5,000 less than the Easter Monday fixture earlier in the season.

When I think club size, I think of (in order):

1. Collingwood
2. Essendon
3. Carlton
4. West Coast
5. Hawthorn
6. Richmond
7. Adelaide
8. Geelong
--------------
9. Sydney
10. St.Kilda

I think if the AFL could pick the ladder for short term financial purposes it would look like that.

I think Carlton and Essendon are equal 2nd, if Richmond started winning they could be part of the big 2.

Essendon have rivalries with the 5 other biggest clubs, which is financially huge for them.

Agree 100% i have no doubt about this. Richmond back on top will be a scary prospect, you have the craziest & most passionate supporters.

This is why i dont see how teams like Hawthorn think they can compare and call themselves "Big 4" after a few good years of footy....if they were on the bottom of the ladder for 6+years the AFL would start thinking about merging them with the Dee's or sending them down to TAS.

True & True...:thumbsu:

GO TIGES!!!

We'll you've completely missed the point of my post then

I hardly think a like for like comparison for the 1st week of the finals was a fair comparison considering the weather, particularly when the Hawthorn/Geelong final drew 5,000 less than the Easter Monday fixture earlier in the season.

It was also wet on the Sunday of the Carlton/Essendon game, coming off consecutive days of rain & the forecast for the day was quite gloomy.

The Easter Monday clash you referred to therefore still only drew 78k, in a game between 2 of the more successful clubs of recent years.

Richmond and Essendon drew 83,000 this year to the Dreamtime game..

Richmond was out of the 8.. Imagine if both clubs were top 4.. This match would draw 90,000+.

Yep and later in the season, when both teams copped a severe hit in form, 55k.

If there is a SNIFF of success between Richmond & Coll,Carl, Ess...it usually draws well over 80k.

But I still maintain that the Big 4 term is dead.

When I think club size, I think of (in order):

1. Collingwood
2. Essendon
3. Carlton
4. West Coast
5. Hawthorn
6. Richmond
7. Adelaide
8. Geelong
--------------
9. Sydney
10. St.Kilda

I think if the AFL could pick the ladder for short term financial purposes it would look like that.

I think Carlton and Essendon are equal 2nd, if Richmond started winning they could be part of the big 2.

Essendon have rivalries with the 5 other biggest clubs, which is financially huge for them.

I would tend to agree with you the AFL would look upon it like that, however they manufacture a fixture to keep it like that which means the figures are not exactly comparable.

But anyway you look at it the big 4 is relevant to Victorians and Victorians only. The rest of Australia know who the big clubs really are and they have been mentioned above many times.

Let me ask you this, do you think Collingwood and Essendon would or could possibly have at least 700k supporters in Victoria?

Maybe they do? But there is one club in the league who does have that and maybe many more than that.

Imagine if Richmond ever won anything, then you can puff out your chest.

Does it take success to be proud of your club taz?

Believe it or not, success or not success people are still proud of their club and "puff their chests out" because they love their club.

total crowds for the H&A season;

Collingwood 1,269k
Essendon 1.093k
Carlton 1,090k

next Richmond 895k

Collingwood 1,306k
Carlton 1,046k
Essendon 1,009k

next Geelong 983k

Collingwood 1,189k
Carlton 1,099k
Essendon 1,089k

next Hawthorn 892k

Collingwood 1,247k
Carlton 1,070k
Essendon 1,044k

next - Richmond 935k

Sort of kills any arguments as to who the big drawing clubs are.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Big 4 If It Were Decided Today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back