Analysis The Big Fish We Didn't Catch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being trade period now, was thinking about which players over this long journey that have been linked to Geelong but ended up going elsewhere, and which one(s) was/were the most disappointing to miss out on.We have plenty of discussion on those we did lure but possibly should not have.

1. Puns aside, PAUL SALMON was my biggest disappointment. I really was looking forward to his presence, exactly what we needed back then, and instead iirc, he went to Hawthorn.

2. This player will mean nothing to most fans here, but STEPHEN MICHAEL. Massive reputation as the best WA ruckman since Polly, and we missed out.

3. A more recent addition, one I did not appreciate until this season, DEVON SMITH. Again, exactly what we needed.

Any others?
Wayne carey would be the big one.

Pavlich as well.

Jade rawlings.

James frawley more recently.

Wayne carey would be the big one.

Pavlich as well.

Jade rawlings.

James frawley more recently.
Carey? Never heard he was a chance. Imagine the goal to goal line up of
FB-Graham
CHB-Stoneham
C-Couch
CHF-Carey
FF-Ablett

Didnt we nearly get buckley? I remember being really excited as a young supporter watching him at brisbane and IIRC it was us or the pies
Again, not aware of that one

Being trade period now, was thinking about which players over this long journey that have been linked to Geelong but ended up going elsewhere, and which one(s) was/were the most disappointing to miss out on.We have plenty of discussion on those we did lure but possibly should not have.

1. Puns aside, PAUL SALMON was my biggest disappointment. I really was looking forward to his presence, exactly what we needed back then, and instead iirc, he went to Hawthorn.

2. This player will mean nothing to most fans here, but STEPHEN MICHAEL. Massive reputation as the best WA ruckman since Polly, and we missed out.

3. A more recent addition, one I did not appreciate until this season, DEVON SMITH. Again, exactly what we needed.

Any others?
Another early one - the Krakouer brothers.

We dodged a bullet with Brett Deledio,

Tony Modra: was past his prime but he would’ve been exciting to watch.
Daniel Bradshaw: I do love key forwards he never really did much at Sydney. But very underrated at the lions.
Greg Williams: taking a bit of liberty here but we missed out on having him in the side. Played 2 years I think at geelong won a bnf and left for $10,000 more went on to have a great career.
Played one year IIRC and left for $5k more

Why. I don't think he would have turned out the same if he came to Geelong.

Tony McGuiness, we had him signed and a green Camira with a glovebox full of cash and Billy Goggin didn't want him.

Fun fact to add to this conversation: That very green Camira finished its career ingloriously, being towed away by the local council from a side street in East St Kilda, having been driven around unregistered and in a sad state of repair for almost two years by a broke university student. How do I know? That broke uni student was my brother. From memory, he picked up that lemon of a Camira from Winter and Taylor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fun fact to add to this conversation: That very green Camira finished its career ingloriously, being towed away by the local council from a side street in East St Kilda, having been driven around unregistered and in a sad state of repair for almost two years by a broke university student. How do I know? That broke uni student was my brother. From memory, he picked up that lemon of a Camira from Winter and Taylor.

That's gold. Thanks for sharing. I got the rest of it from Maguiness himself when I was buying a cricket bat.

If he was as big as you Ramsay, I'm surprised he even fitted in. Did he do a Hightower form Police Academy?

That's gold. Thanks for sharing. I got the rest of it from Maguiness himself when I was buying a cricket bat.

If he was as big as you Ramsay, I'm surprised he even fitted in. Did he do a Hightower form Police Academy?

I didn't actually realise it was first bought for Maguiness, just knew that Billy was the previous owner, which got my bro a bit of mileage at the time, pardon the pun. The glovebox was stuffed with empty bottles of Wynns Spitfire carburetor cleaner when I last saw it, not cash. Ramsay B.O.G.

And the story goes from an insider that Billy Goggin as coach told Sidey to wait at a stop that the bus would not be going past. Interesting if true.
Can categorically say that is crapola.

Played one year IIRC and left for $5k more

Won the beat and fairest left and went on to be an all time great. Hopefully history isn’t repeating with Kelly. Who almost got the bnf in his first year then takes off.

In fairness though the Cats just couldn't match that extra 5k and the money they received for the trade kept the club afloat.
In hindsight if we won flags with him (which we would have) it wouldn't have mattered but if not it could have killed the club.

Again, not aware of that one
From an afl website article, happy i remembered now!

By the time Buckley won the inaugural Norwich (as it was then) Rising Star award - beating a field that included future Brownlow Medallists James Hird, Shane Crawford and Mark Ricciuto, as well as Glenn Archer, Scott West, Matthew Richardson and a school kid called Dustin Fletcher - he was already seeking an exit to Melbourne, the city, and Collingwood, the club.

But that didn't stop other clubs, notably Geelong, and Carlton, from trying to claim the most wanted man in football.

The Cats relied on the power of Malcolm Blight, who had played footy with Buckley's father, Ray, in Adelaide and a group of players including Garry Hocking, who had played golf with him at Barwon Heads in September 1993, as part of the wooing.

The Blues relied on a more lucrative offer as well as the fact that Buckley's manager, Geof Motley, knew the club well as his son Peter had played there before his horrific car accident.

Motley would later say: "If I'd had a choice, I'd rather have seen him go to the Carlton Football Club. without question."

The Herald Sun's chief football reporter Mike Sheahan favoured Geelong as Buckley's most likely destination, revealing in a back page story on September 14 that the Cats were "poised" to strike a deal.

"Geelong is poised to sign Nathan Buckley in a deal that would earn the youngster a minimum of $500,000 for years," Sheahan wrote. "Sources say that Buckley, 21, has decided in principle to join the Cats, and will invoke what is believed to be 'get out' clause in his contract with Brisbane, where he played this year.

"Several other clubs in the scramble for the AFL's 1993 rookie of the year are resigned to defeat."

From an afl website article, happy i remembered now!

By the time Buckley won the inaugural Norwich (as it was then) Rising Star award - beating a field that included future Brownlow Medallists James Hird, Shane Crawford and Mark Ricciuto, as well as Glenn Archer, Scott West, Matthew Richardson and a school kid called Dustin Fletcher - he was already seeking an exit to Melbourne, the city, and Collingwood, the club.

But that didn't stop other clubs, notably Geelong, and Carlton, from trying to claim the most wanted man in football.

The Cats relied on the power of Malcolm Blight, who had played footy with Buckley's father, Ray, in Adelaide and a group of players including Garry Hocking, who had played golf with him at Barwon Heads in September 1993, as part of the wooing.

The Blues relied on a more lucrative offer as well as the fact that Buckley's manager, Geof Motley, knew the club well as his son Peter had played there before his horrific car accident.

Motley would later say: "If I'd had a choice, I'd rather have seen him go to the Carlton Football Club. without question."

The Herald Sun's chief football reporter Mike Sheahan favoured Geelong as Buckley's most likely destination, revealing in a back page story on September 14 that the Cats were "poised" to strike a deal.

"Geelong is poised to sign Nathan Buckley in a deal that would earn the youngster a minimum of $500,000 for years," Sheahan wrote. "Sources say that Buckley, 21, has decided in principle to join the Cats, and will invoke what is believed to be 'get out' clause in his contract with Brisbane, where he played this year.

"Several other clubs in the scramble for the AFL's 1993 rookie of the year are resigned to defeat."
Cheers mate. Good remembering skills.
Learn something new every day. I did not know that.

Apparently carey was all but a done deal and then he changed his mind at the last minute. Was kept quite at the time but carey has since admitted it.
Wow, I did not know this either. Thought Carey had something to do with the cash North paid the Swans to get Longmire out of their zone.
Imagine Ablett and Carey in the forward line with that midfield?

Wow, I did not know this either. Thought Carey had something to do with the cash North paid the Swans to get Longmire out of their zone.
Imagine Ablett and Carey in the forward line with that midfield?
It was later on after carey was already a star that he agreed to leave north and sign with geelong. Cant remember if ablett was still around at the time though or if it was just after he had retired.

It was later on after carey was already a star that he agreed to leave north and sign with geelong. Cant remember if ablett was still around at the time though or if it was just after he had retired.
Yeah right. Still amazing news. Suppose we would've had the cash if Gaz had left and Nixon managed both.
Haha, Carey in his prime let loose on the Geelong night scene. Be a lot of ilegitamate father/son picks coming up soon.

Yeah right. Still amazing news. Suppose we would've had the cash if Gaz had left and Nixon managed both.
Haha, Carey in his prime let loose on the Geelong night scene. Be a lot of ilegitamate father/son picks coming up soon.
Man wouldnt the media love that. 24 hour coverage awaiting the news of paternity tests to confirm father sons.

Man wouldnt the media love that. 24 hour coverage awaiting the news of paternity tests to confirm father sons.
That'd be the best off field event to happen to the AFL in sometime.
Could even have a running counter on the side of the screen and an expert from Centrelink updating us on the backdated child support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back