Game Day The Big One. Hawthorn V West Coast Eagles Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

THE BIG ONE.

Melbourne Cricket Ground.

2:30 AEST, 12:30 AWST Saturday, October 3 2015.

Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles.

ALL year football media assured us that this is the Fremantle's year to lose.Premiership favourites from the get go, top of the ladder all season, minor premiers, home final. Looked a certainty.

West Coast, on the other hand. Unfancied. Unliked. Barely a hope in hell of even making the top 8, let alone getting anywhere in September.

A few months is a long time in football.

Despite both Western sides having strong seasons, finish first and second, it was West Coast who stood when push came to shove. The Purple horde falling to the might of the third placed Brown and Gold Hawks. The reigning premiers. No doubt a champion side who are tough to beat anywhere, anytime. A side full of stars who all play the game the way it should be played, a side who play to win, and win they do well.

The Derby grand final the media circus in WA so hoped wasn't to be. The magical unicorn escapes, the dream lives to fight another day. Instead, the two best attacking sides in the comp meet on the first Saturday in October.

LAST TIME THEY MET.
Subiaco Oval, September 11 2015.

West Coast 14.12.96 def Hawthorn 9.10.64

A blistering performance by West Coast. Hawthorn were left to chase the game early and, despite a few late goals, West Coast were never in danger of losing after half time. Luke Shuey best afield.

HOW THEY LINE UP.

B: B.Stratton, B.Lake, J.Frawley

HB: G.Birchall, J.Gibson, S.Burgoyne

C: B.Hill, S.Mitchell, L.Shiels

HF: C.Rioli, R.Schoenmakers, I.Smith

F: L.Bruest, J.Roughead, P.Puopolo

Foll: B.McEvoy, L.Hodge, J.Lewis

Inter: M.Suckling, T.Duryea, D.Hale, J.Gunston

Emerg: J.Ceglar, A.Litherland, B.Hartung

In: Jack Gunston

Out: Billy Hartung (omitted)

EAGLES

B: S.Wellingham, W.Schofield, S.Hurn

HB: X.Ellis, J.McGovern, B.Sheppard

C: M.Rosa, M.Priddis, E.Yeo

HF: A.Gaff, J.Darling, J.Cripps

F: M.LeCras, J.Kennedy, J.Hill

Foll: N.Naitanui, D.Sheed, L.Shuey

Inter: C.Masten, C.Sinclair, M.Hutchings, S.Butler

Emer: P.McGinnity, S.Selwood, S.Lycett

KEY MATCHUPS

DEFENCE: McGovern v Roughead

Jarryd Roughead is a tough competitor. He's not the quickest or the strongest key forward going, but he's a wily bastard who knows how to find space a kick a good shot and take a big grab. He was held to 2 last time out so to have any hope of containing a dangerous Hawks forward line, McGovern needs to keep Roughie quiet.

Ruck: Naitanui v McEvoy

Big Boy McEvoy is a talented ruckman who continues to improve with experience, but he doesn't have the tricks up the sleeve his opposition has. Naitanui should look to get on top of McEvoy and give the West Coast midfield led by Matt Priddis the best possible opportunity to get the ball forward.

FORWARD: Kennedy v Lake

Brian Lake has, for a number of years, been amongst the best lockdown defenders in the game. He's big, strong and great overhead. However, Kennedy is the type of forward an aging Fullback hates. He's fast, nimble, athletic and resiliant. An absolute nightmare. Kennedy should look to use his speed to get on top of Lake to ensure a good start for the Eagles.

Conclusion:

This game hangs very much in the balance. Hawthorn haven't been the best side of the last 10 years for no reason, they're dangerous, they have talent and they're free scoring. To win this game, they need to use the pace of Hill and Rioli to get quick balls down the line to the tall forwards of Roughead, Gunston and Schoenmakers who will look to outstretch the undersized West Coast backline.

Conversely, West Coast have their own powerful forward line. If two of Kennedy, Darling or LeCras fire, then Hawthorn face an uphill battle. Aiding West Coast will be Nic Naitanui's purple patch of form. Priddis and Shuey will look to get clean first use from Naitanui's taps. In order to win though, the so called Weagles Web needs to stand up.

PREDICTION: As much of a pessimist I am, I can't see any reason why West Coast can't win this weekend. WEST COAST BY 19 POINTS.

Last edited:
Key Match-up : Umpires vs Logic

The umpiring this finals series has been somewhat less than stellar with a number of confounding decisions across most games. Whatever the result I hope that the Grand Final is umpired well and that the post game analysis isn't punctuated with doubts over erroneous free kicks.

Key Match up: Daniel Chick vs A Medium Garden Salad.

Garden-Salad_1d.png

The shapes up as possibly the battle of the final for mine. Whilst Chick is known for putting away copious amounts of some of the games most exotic foods, this salad isn't going to be taken lightly.... *pause for effect* ..... I think quite obviously for the eagles to get up this week, the salad is going to need to win and win convincingly. Long given a very small amount of respect by Chick, it's time the salad has it's day.

WCE by 5.
We shouldn't be giving Chick any mention outside of the thread for that particular story. This weekend shouldn't be about him, it should be about the club, the boys, and the fact that we've come from left field to potentially snag a fourth cup.

Insomnia is cranking up as we get closer to the big day. Coincidentally productivity at work is rapidly decreasing as the week has rolled on. It's literally all I think about 24/7.

Surely if your team is in the granny you should get the week off as a special kind of leave right?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

You know what, this WCE team has not let us down all year. We've all waited for it to happen and the bubble to burst, but "EAD" said simmo.

I'm going to buck the trend here and say we'll come out breathing fire in the face of adversity and the group will make us proud yet again.

A great man once told me "Weellllllinghaaaaaaaa...ah...ah...ah...ahh...ahhh..mmmmmm!" and i've lived my life by that advice.

Eagles by 5pts :rainbow:

Yeah get that rubbish out of this fine thread.

Shuey's ability to influence the game is a vital part of the game for me. Just as much as Naitanui.
We going to share this avatar or does one of us have to have to move on. Is this place big enough for two Dom Sheed avatars. I'll change mine later when I find something. All good.

Anyway what I was going to say is it's good to see Mick Malthouse show his support this week. His still got a soft spot for us. We still reckon his a legend.

And Chris Judd last night on the footy show showing WestCoast colours bringing the cup on stage.

Two great legends of our club showing support for us is pleasing they haven't forgotten about us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walking through Melbourne after midnight with Eagle scarves was entertaining got the..

Why did you even come down it's all ready won !

Haaawwkkeeers will smash the Eagle's

The odd abuse from a drunk passenger in a old commodore yelling #### the Eagle's

The drunk slur at the pedestrian crossings.. Eaaaggllees hey how did they make the Grand Final

The occasional death stare from a few Fremantle supporters ..

And the boof head who said big boy McEvoy is going to jump all over Nic Nat...Which was pretty funny i paid that one !!

Most Hawks supporters seem very confident.. But i think we really are in with a good shot tomorrow Time to Hunt boys !!

We going to share this avatar or does one of us have to have to move on. Is this place big enough for two Dom Sheed avatars. I'll change mine later when I find something. All good.

Anyway what I was going to say is it's good to see Mick Malthouse show his support this week. His still got a soft spot for us. We still reckon his a legend.

And Chris Judd last night on the footy show showing WestCoast colours bringing the cup on stage.

Two great legends of our club showing support for us is pleasing they haven't forgotten about us.
Didn't even notice! There's enough Dom for both of us :rainbow:

Walking through Melbourne after midnight with Eagle scarves was entertaining got the..

The odd abuse from a drunk passenger in a old commodore yelling #### the Eagle's

The drunk slur at the pedestrian crossings.. Eaaaggllees hey how did they make the Grand Final

And the boof head who said big boy McEvoy is going to jump all over Nic Nat...Which was pretty funny i paid that one !!

Most Hawks supporters seem very confident.. But i think we really are in with a good shot tomorrow Time to Hunt boys !!
Its a confidence thats comes with a smelly arse mate.

Every tom dick & harry bangs on about how it will be a 3 peat victory for Hawthorn..aparantly best side ever....
Every commentator , journo or anyone with an opinion has given us no chance....Simmo has kept his cards close to his chest..very low key .
The perfect setting for an ambush .
Im tipping us to do to Hawthorn what they did to Sydney...60+ points.

The old lion, or hawk in this case is a battle weary but still very dangerous opponent. I feel as though tomorrow is a changing in the guard, similar to port ending brisbanes dominance in 2004.

We need the boys to stay rock solid in the first 5-10 minutes when the heat will be astonishingly fierce, no overcommitted tackles, clean gathering of the loose ball and at least one half chance taken which results in a goal, josh hill mark ' frenchy ' lecras I'm looking at you.

Hawthorn must be denied easy ball through the middle of the ground and gut defensive running is crucial from our wingers, particularly gaffy, he seems to be the link and extra man that often helps us escape from dangerous situations.

Josh Kennedy MUST kick straight, he will get 5/6 shots on goal in the form he is in but 2.3 won't cut it in a granny.

Lastly Nic Nat, this is his chance to show the AFL world what an absolute out and out superstar he is, he holds the key to giving us clean use out of the middle, his follow up pressure acts and desperation at the contest could see him win a norm smith, at some stage id like to see him in the goal square just to send shivers through the Hawks.

These lads will not bend and buckle in the furnace like the swans did last year, we just need to keep our nerve and use the footy.

My god I'm excited to watch this magnificent team run out onto the ground tomorrow.

GO EAGLES!

I have a feeling Hawthorn are going to come out and try and snipe a few lads to the bench.
We have to bring the same pressure defensively but first and foremost keep to structure.

One thing that NEEDS to happen if you ask me, is force Hawthorn down the line and don't let them kick into the corridor like North.
Once down the line, Sheppard, Wellingham, McGovern, Hurn and the forwards that go back defensively need to put the ball out of bounds.

Hawthorn are going in tall, undoubtedly, but when it comes to the most dominate tall.. Well we have him, and he is our ace of spades.
The ball up will favour NN 9/10, fed to our mids and we can transition back into our 50, and do them for pace.

Should they not put it out of bounds, I can see their talls dominating and it's going to be a matter of out-marked, outplayed.

My feeling is that this game will bit of a blow out, i'm a massive pessimist with footy and i always have bad feelings we're going to lose in h&a seasons. I am strangely calm and confident for this weekend though, not sure if it is belief in the team or just a gut feel, everything stacks up against us but i have a feeling we are going to do something special because this eagles team has been suprising us all year. Heart says eagles by 36

Thats a big props to Lake who is so far past his prime its not funny. Bloke is on his last legs and out the door come seasons end or an anchor for next year depending on how Hawthorn play it.

We shouldn't be giving Chick any mention outside of the thread for that particular story. This weekend shouldn't be about him, it should be about the club, the boys, and the fact that we've come from left field to potentially snag a fourth cup.
Well it only took 4 posts for some idiot to open the can.:(

Interesting you say that. You should check out our board - nowhere near as confident! The media are pumping our tyres across the board, but I don't think so lowly of Clarko's intellect to imagine he'll buy into the hype. I expect the vaunted structures of both teams to break down as they usually do in grand finals. It should be tight in the beginning, though expect the Hawks to give as good as they get, so the hurried kicks inside 50 won't feature as much as in the QF. Assuming neither side blows the other away, this could very well be decided by which team holds its nerves in front of goal.

Enjoy the game, let's hope that, whoever wins, it's a spectacle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day The Big One. Hawthorn V West Coast Eagles Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back