The BigFooty Liverpool Army - Part 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be interesting to see how no European fixtures next year affect us.

There's a risk of losing players, especially if they have any conditions in their contract about having to play in Europe and also a risk that someone who might otherwise have joined us will no longer do so, or only do so for more money (which might then have a negative flow on effect).

On the positive side, however, is that we have a thin squad in quality terms and without European football next season, we can afford to not bring in the 'squad players' that might cost £5m or large wages (Cole, Jovanovic etc) which we would otherwise need for the extra matches in the fixture.

Ideally, the point will be to use a smaller but higher quality squad to get back into the CL, then once in there, use the extra money and prestige to add both quality and depth for the season after.

You make a good point here Moomba but I think this season is very much a one off. What with Brum and Stoke stealing spots away from the usual top 7. 6th and 7th werent good enough. So we missed out after a horrendous start under Roy. I dont think we will miss out on a European spot next season. I think without European football next season, we could make a run back into the top 4. Europa League at worse for us next season.

You're probably right, I can't see you finishing outside top 6 most years and that 6th spot will be good enough for Europa League football most years.

So one year out isn't going to hurt too much, if you miss next year though it starts to get a bit dicey.

When it comes down to it, co-efficients aren't going to matter that much in the Europa League anyway, so it would only hurt if you make it back into the top 4.

You're probably right, I can't see you finishing outside top 6 most years and that 6th spot will be good enough for Europa League football most years.

So one year out isn't going to hurt too much, if you miss next year though it starts to get a bit dicey.

When it comes down to it, co-efficients aren't going to matter that much in the Europa League anyway, so it would only hurt if you make it back into the top 4.

So you dont think we can finish top 4 next year then Moomba?

Not a chance (IMO).

Personally I think if we can improve on our play against clubs we should be beating there is no reason we couldn't. We beat City, United and Chelsea on the run home, all 3 of them needing wins at the time. Our squad depth currently is a bit weak but I can't see why we couldn't compete with the clubs above us next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 years today. Damn, I wish I was old enough to like soccer and watch it back then. Amazing game. Would gone off tap if I was watching it now. I haven't had much luck as a sport's supporter lately.

[youtube]YHtjmofqBeM[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHtjmofqBeM

Such a good game, been the highest point of me being a support so far that and the FA cup I was about 11 or 12 at the time and I remember it like it was yesterday, I remember watching the game when we were down by a few goals and thinking sh*t we are gone here and then pulled a few back and completed the come back.

6 years today. Damn, I wish I was old enough to like soccer and watch it back then. Amazing game. Would gone off tap if I was watching it now.

Yeah it was pretty f**king awesome. I was running around my loungeroom at 4am in the morning waving my Liverpool shirt over my head and screaming under my breath so I wouldn't wake all my flatmates up.

http://www.koptalk.co.uk/2011052537...n-transfer-fee-for-fabio-coentrao-report.html

Unconfirmed reports are we have signed Coentrao, great signing if true

Today, 'Correio da Manha' claim Liverpool have agreed a £25million transfer fee with Benfica although 2 days ago they said he'd signed for Real Madrid.

'Correio da Manha' also claim today that David De Gea could be Anfield bound to replace Pepe Reina, the day after Manchester United confirmed the signing of the Atletico Madrid goalkeeper.

We'll let you make your own mind up as to how reliable 'Correio da Manha' is!

Looks pretty solid to me :eek:

25m? If that were true, it would be one of the most ******ed signings in recent memory, possible even more so than Carroll.

I dont think we will get Coentrao. 25 million is excessive too. He is very good but we can get Enrique for like 8 million. That is a third of price for a very talented LB. Probably not in Coentrao's class but Enrique is no slouch.

Jose Reina: 6.5

His season began badly, with the uncharacteristic error that gifted Arsenal an equaliser on the opening day, and, while Liverpool were understandably delighted when Reina decided he wanted to stay, he hasn't produced the heroics of the previous campaign.

**** off

Suarez was worth a 9 instead of 8.5. The impact he had was profound. If he wasnt scoring goals he was setting them up. Even if he didnt make the final pass, it was his movement, his pace, his trickery that tore defenses to shreds. Quality player.

DK and Kelly were good value for their 7.5

Maxi at 7.5 was a way too high though. I would have given him a 6.5, he was rarely sighted in the first half of season and very often he offered little when he started or came on. He was much better after Kenny arrived and went on a great goal scoring run including two memorable hattricks. But the season is long and as good as he was in the run home, he was equally forgettable at the start.

Meireles at 7 is just wrong. Easily equal with Kelly and DK for a 7.5. He was servicable without being brilliant for Woy but after Kenny came in he was terrific. Never wastes a ball, great positioning wise and became a goal threat with not just junk goals, but important ones, like the winner at Chelsea. Our best buy of the season not named Luis Suarez.

Lucas was another criminally underrated. They gave him a 7 but I would have given him an 8. Our player of the season, Suarez would have been player of the season but he only showed up half way through. Lucas has matured greatly. He partols the middle with confidence, breaks up attacks but he is now starting to really improve his passing. Lucas used to be sideways and backwards, now he is far more positive and has a very good passing range. Gone are his silly fouls he used to give away in and around the box too. Terrific season.

Carra was about right with a 7. Our best central defender again, solid, consistent. Spearing too was about right with a 7. He came in and excelled in Gerrard's absence. Still undecided if he has a future at the club. As when Gerrard is fit again, he will be back on the sidelines. Gerrard, Lucas and Meireles will be first choice in the middle and Shelvey IMO is more talented than Spearing too. But he did a great job when called upon.

Reina at 6.5 was laughable. Easily a 7.5, he was again ultra consistent. The best goal keeper in England and top 5 in the world. So glad he is staying.

The rest were all pretty dead on. Flanno's 6.5 was well deserved, came in a did a great job considering how little experience he had. Johnson had a tough year, displaced by the excellent Kelly and moved across to LB just to accomodate him, could be sold. Still a quality player though and id be happy to keep him but just move him up the pitch.

Aurelio was solid when available for his 6, Skrtel played every minute of every PL game but was very patchy at the start of season, but grew with confidence as the season wore on. About right for his rating of 6.

Shelvey was good for his 6, he will only get better and better. Agger was underrated at 5, perhaps they gave him such a low rating because he was always injured. But when he plays, he is our best central defender.

NGog was good early against crap opposition, didnt play much as the season wore on. Not sure if he has a future at the club. Carroll's impact was limited but showed us what he can do against City when up and about health wise. Im hoping he has a big season next year.

The rest were shite. The Greek has actually been a really good buy for his couple of years at the club but the last game he played wasnt great, being responsible for both goals we conceded. I think his time with us is over. Jova, Cole, Babel, Poulsen and Konch are all shit. Babel, is gone, the rest of those names should follow.

Oh and Judas... 5 was being generous. Scored some goals but moped about and did nothing, dragging down team morale. We played much better after he was sold. ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back