The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our youngsters really are something to get excited about. Youngest team in 10 years playing against Norwich. Suso's first touch is freaking immaculate, he looked to have a good understanding with Suarez for the most part as well. Sterling had a quiet first half but came into the game in the second half. Wisdom was assured. This trio could save us 60 million.

Our youngsters really are something to get excited about. Youngest team in 10 years playing against Norwich. Suso's first touch is freaking immaculate, he looked to have a good understanding with Suarez for the most part as well. Sterling had a quiet first half but came into the game in the second half. Wisdom was assured. This trio could save us 60 million.
Loved when he trapped a clearance from defence, just stopped it dead.

So next up we have Udinese in the Europa on Friday morning, anyone want to put forward a line up?

Thinking Sterling should be rested, don't want to burn him out so early
I assume Borini will start?

Suddenly we have more attacking options than we think we did

And maybe Borini can be played as a striker now, he's clearly not a wide player.

It looks like what Rodgers is trying to achieve through having Suarez playing centrally and Borini starting out wide is to draw the centrebacks out of position as they follow Suarez when he comes up field to collect the ball, then have Borini cut inside to exploit the space that is left in behind them. Similar to the 'False 9' system Spain & Barcelona have been using recently.

Whether it will be successful is another matter entirely but the idea of it is to have Suarez (our most dangerous player) on the ball as often as possible. Barcelona use David Villa (generally recognized as a central striker) in a similar manner to the way Rodgers is playing Borini. He too is usually named out wide with Messi playing centrally. Of course during a game they will move around and switch positions, and you'll see Suarez (Messi) picking up the ball from the wings with Borini (Villa) taking up a more central position to disrupt any man marking that the opposition may be trying or to exploit a weakness at fullback. Like I said, we'll see in time if this will be successful or not, but the logic behind it is sound.

On another note, rumours flying around that Sahin, Wisdom and..... Suso will be starting tonight. To be honest I haven't been this excited about a season since Rafa left, and we haven't even won a game yet, imagine what I'll be like when we get on a winning streak - I'll be unbearable! I think it's the unknown of what these kids could achieve this year, Suso and Sterling in particular look as though they could be genuine game breakers and they're only 17-18.

I know, theres a genuine buzz about the club at the moment - even though we hadn't won a game until norwich on the weekend - we've been putting together great performances. And Suso and Sterling in particular have been fantastic.

Watching Being Liverpool has been a good insight into Rodgers philosophy of developing from within - watching the form of Sterling, Suso and Wisdom in particular has been intriguing. I must admit I was sceptical when we announced Rodgers as our manager, but he's definately starting to win me over!

Would love to sign Sahin on a permanent deal based on his early season form, though if Madrid have been watching, they'd want a lot for him!

Was good to get a win in the book, now we just need to string together a few performances and we'll be looking back on the beginning to this season as a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of things...

Would love to sign Sahin on a permanent deal based on his early season form, though if Madrid have been watching, they'd want a lot for him!

It's a bit bittersweet isn't it? I love that he's playing well, but seeing him play so well makes me kinda wish that he wasn't playing so well (only a little bit, relax guys) so Madrid wouldn't want him back. Lets just hope he falls in love with the club, the manager, the players and the city and he wants to stay.

I think it may come down to the player. If Modric sets the world on fire at Madrid and they can't guarantee Sahin games then he might decide he wants out. If we have a good season then we should be his preferred destination.

Or if he goes back to Madrid it might be worth trying to tempt Xabi back since he obviously still loves the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks like what Rodgers is trying to achieve through having Suarez playing centrally and Borini starting out wide is to draw the centrebacks out of position as they follow Suarez when he comes up field to collect the ball, then have Borini cut inside to exploit the space that is left in behind them. Similar to the 'False 9' system Spain & Barcelona have been using recently.

Whether it will be successful is another matter entirely but the idea of it is to have Suarez (our most dangerous player) on the ball as often as possible. Barcelona use David Villa (generally recognized as a central striker) in a similar manner to the way Rodgers is playing Borini. He too is usually named out wide with Messi playing centrally. Of course during a game they will move around and switch positions, and you'll see Suarez (Messi) picking up the ball from the wings with Borini (Villa) taking up a more central position to disrupt any man marking that the opposition may be trying or to exploit a weakness at fullback. Like I said, we'll see in time if this will be successful or not, but the logic behind it is sound.

Yeah but it wasn't really working, coz Suarez still stayed on around the last line while Borini hardly saw the ball or was as involved as the likes of Suso/Sterling are.

Villa is probably the man you're talking about in terms of that sorta role but he is also very involved with Barca's build up play while being very timely with his runs to get in scoring positions. Borini doesn't look like he's made for that from a wide role, he's more of a central player waiting to fox on a chance. Suarez would be a better comparison with someone like Villa

I'd prefer us playing with two conventional wide men with someone playing just off Suarez from a central position, which was what we did against Norwich and it looked smooth. a 4-2-3-1 suits us far more than a 4-3-3

So next up we have Udinese in the Europa on Friday morning, anyone want to put forward a line up?

Thinking Sterling should be rested, don't want to burn him out so early
Alright...

Reina
Wisdom Carragher Coates Enrique
Shelvey Henderson Suso
Assaidi Borini Downing

Maybe... that seems a little toothless though and Downing is just horrible. We cant just keep resting Suarez, Gerrard, Allen, Sahin etc all the time. They are professional athletes and can handle playing midweek and then on the weekend. We've got 4 straight home games now. Udinese, Stoke, Reading, Anhzi so no travelling is boss. Hopefully we can get a run together.

Maybe... that seems a little toothless though and Downing is just horrible. We cant just keep resting Suarez, Gerrard, Allen, Sahin etc all the time. They are professional athletes and can handle playing midweek and then on the weekend. We've got 4 straight home games now. Udinese, Stoke, Reading, Anhzi so no travelling is boss. Hopefully we can get a run together.

We have Chelsea away after the Anhzi Europa game as well. Maybe we should put a stronger team out this week as by all accounts Udinese don't take the Europa league that seriously, and we can basically sew up qualification, so we can rest people later on.

Does everyone here listen to The Anfield Wrap?

It's here -> www.theanfieldwrap.com

Just listened to the one with Brendan Rodgers, about a 45 minute interview, well worth a listen.

It's gold, people talking about football who actually knows football, and can objectively discuss all angles without all the bias

It's gold, people talking about football who actually knows football, and can objectively discuss all angles without all the bias

I love the way Rodgers talks as well, he actually talks about the game, tactics, etc when he's in interviews, and not the usual convoluted talk that you get served up most of the time.

With Stevie only a few games away from playing his 600th for the club, does anybody think he has a shot at Callaghan's record of 857? Considering the team plays around 50 or so games a season, give or take decent cup runs, Gerrard would need another 250, that's 5 seasons. I give him a shot. He is the kind of player who can adapt as he gets older to playing different roles for the club.

If he is Gigg's like he makes it, if his body betrays him, he will fall short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back