Preview The breakout man

Remove this Banner Ad

In one of bomber's recent interviews, he is asked who is stepping up this pre-season. His reply is something along the lines of: "i don't want to single anyone out, the team is improving as a whole......young jacks....no i shouldnt single anyone out". Jackson merrett?

There's a few youngsters that could all push for a spot in the 1s. Kav, the Merretts, Asby have all been spoken highly of in the media and in the interviews with Bomber.

I doubt Zac Merrett will, but I expect to see a lot of the other 3, and Hams, and NOB.

If we didn't have such back line riches i'd be thinking Van Unen as well

Van Unen could absolutely push for Baggers spot this year. Can play small or tall.

Absolutely he could, but for me that's less likely than one of out 20-21 year olds having a huge year and putting a stamp on that sort of 9th-10th midfielder/half forward option, much like Zaharakis did in 09

Absolutely he could, but for me that's less likely than one of out 20-21 year olds having a huge year and putting a stamp on that sort of 9th-10th midfielder/half forward option, much like Zaharakis did in 09

Not neccesarily. Van Unen just needed extended runs at his footy. By the time he got himself together, we either had a settled defence or we wanted a look at others (hence the Dalgleish debut late in the season).

Not completely out of the question to see it happen. Have faith Jack, have faith

I reckon if we can play two or three of O'Brien, Ashby, Edwards, J Merrett, Browne, Z Merrett, Kavanagh, Dalgleish and Hams every game this season we're doing very well

Not neccesarily. Van Unen just needed extended runs at his footy. By the time he got himself together, we either had a settled defence or we wanted a look at others (hence the Dalgleish debut late in the season).

Not completely out of the question to see it happen. Have faith Jack, have faith
From the little I've seen of him he seems to be a downgrade on Dyson. Honestly I think he'll be lucky to be on the list next season

That was my thinking two. Chapman probably counteracts that forward opening
Obviously with Melk out first 2 games that'll keep Jackson in the side. I want him to take Kommer's role once Melk's back, and I want Kavanagh to take Howlett's role. Then I want one or two of them to play if/when both Chappy and Licha are out
I understand he needs to start showing something but when he plays he does a reasonably good job in the VFL.
And Baggers was excellent in the AFL. Out of 22 games he lost 3 times (LeCras x2, Gia)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got plenty of faith, Van was pretty impressive last year, it's just that I reckon it's easier for an Ashby or Kav or Hams to come in and cement a position, rather than for someone to supplant someone else.

Plus I reckon bags will just go from strength to strength this year, finished 2012 really well

Bags is pretty much the perfect BP. Tough, solid pace and skills, excellent defensive nous (always seems to know where his man is)but can be exposed by a LeCras or Monfries. Would prefer Hibberd on them though

not sure about "breakout man". the list looks more like half a dozen could get opportunities rather than one will play 20 games. i'm excluding Joe from that, he simply HAS to play.

But Edwards might push for early games and be hard to dislodge.

Heppell will win our best and fairest, early prediction.

Daniher will need more time but may play the occasional stand out game particularly against inexperienced defenses. (See the Suns game last year for example)

Possibly Dalgleish or Pears?

This area is where I like our list so much. We have a heap of untapped talent coming into their 3-4th seasons, this is often when players have the pre-seasons under their belt to offer a lot to the senior team, all of a sudden too.

Outside of Heppell who is a freak and came on quicker than expected, we have:

Browne, Steinberg, Kavanagh, Merrett, O'brien, Dalgleish, Del'Olio, Baguley, Colyer

then add mature types Kommer, Thurlow, Edwards, Aylett who are in the same age bracket.

That is basically 2 full drafts being a class of 2010/11 that we really have hardly scratched the surface with bar Hep. Odds/age will say someone or a heap will break out, picking exactly who is a much harder task. 2 of the class of 09, Melk and Jake broke out this year, plus we got a fair bit from the mature types in that draft Cram, Hardy, Howlett with Colyer lagging so I put him in this bunch.

I think Edwards and Dalgleish can add something the senior team needs, so whilst I dont necessarily think they are the most talented of the bunch, may be the ones. Merrett too, as a goal kicking forward pushing midfield.

I'm gonna go out there and say Aylett. No reasoning behind it, just like the look of him.

If I was a betting man I'd be having a sneaky look at the Brownlow odds on Heppell - think he'll take the Crichton in a canter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview The breakout man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back