Roast The Brownlow has no credibility left

Remove this Banner Ad

You gotta admit there is some beauty in the closure the Brownlow gives footy fans at the end of the year.

Throughout the year, the umpires divide us as we each scream bloody murder about how our teams are mistreated, but then at the end of the year we can all come together to agree that the umpires are completely useless.
This is why they will never be replaced.

They’re a critical part of the drama, for better or (mostly) worse.

I think the AFL have lucked out with the way the Brownlow is decided, in that they have complete control over the adjudicators so they can lock everything down nice and tight which means they have an excellent product to sell to the betting companies.

Shouldn't have been anywhere near it. Umps clearly gave him votes that were meant for his brother, lmfao.

Cripps did finish 2nd in the AFL MVP (as voted by the players) and also he finished 2nd in the AFL Coaches award (as voted by the coaches) so he was always going to be in contention to win the Brownlow medal - he did have a good season. I just think 45 votes is a bit high but it is what it is. Cripps is a deserving winner, in my opinion.

Whilst 45 votes is silly - this years Brownlow played out like most other Brownlows.

Standout midfielder in middling team dominates teams voting and wins.

1727130797148.png
It is how Crawford won it, Woewodin, Fyfe, Neale (maybe better than middling), Cooney, Mitchel, Danger, Priddis, Cotchin, Judd.

Stand out player in a middling team is the formula to win.

Cripps did finish 2nd in the AFL MVP (as voted by the players) and also he finished 2nd in the AFL Coaches award (as voted by the coaches) so he was always going to be in contention to win the Brownlow medal - he did have a good season. I just think 45 votes is a bit high but it is what it is. Cripps is a deserving winner, in my opinion.
Yes, I agree.

I was talking about Daicos, lol.

If you were setting up a team to play tomorrow, would Cripps be in the first 6 midfielders you pick?
I don't think Cripps was the best midfielder this year, plus the amount of votes he got was ridiculous, but man that take is worse then Cripps polling 40+ votes

I love how the OP was complaining about Nick not getting votes in a particular game, and the umpires course corrected to the extent of giving him a point for being subbed out.
To be fair to op, this thread was started last year.

Now doubt Cripps had a stellar season same as daicos not 45 votes worthy even nick over polled.

Maybe they should change it so in most games players can't actually get max votes if there's no outstanding performances. A max vote game should be like a full forward kicking 10 goals, or a mid that gets 35+ and kicks 2 or 3.
It’s probably why the coaches votes works best, you can get anywhere from 1-10 votes and there’s no guarantees anyone gets more than 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just an umpiring popularity contest. The Brownlow is dead.

I thought last year was just an anomaly. Evidently not.

Its been decades. This isnt new.

A huge number of people now follow it because of the ridiculousness, not because it means anything.

McRae also made a mockery of the Coach votes this year too. And the AA panel has always been stacked with flogs.

There really arent any meaningful awards other than Premiership medals.

To be fair to op, this thread was started last year.

Now doubt Cripps had a stellar season same as daicos not 45 votes worthy even nick over polled.
I don't know why you'd think I was in any way trying to be fair to the OP!

(I'm well aware it was started last year, because it was in my watched thread list still from then. :))

A huge number of people now follow it because of the ridiculousness, not because it means anything.

McRae also made a mockery of the Coach votes this year too. And the AA panel has always been stacked with flogs.

And given how inherently bias the competition is, I'm not sure about them either :D

AAs, afl mvp and coaches votes are all meaningful awards. They arent perfect.

The brownlow, however, is just dumb. Take the top 25 players for that year and then randomly pick one would be just as good as the brownlow.

AAs, afl mvp and coaches votes are all meaningful awards. They arent perfect.

The brownlow, however, is just dumb. Take the top 25 players for that year and then randomly pick one would be just as good as the brownlow.

That said, J Cameron did a great job getting that many votes. But without knowing, my bet is his big vote games were when he played far higher and got possessions than when he played deep and kicked goals.

With all due respect, this logic just perplexes me.

The Brownlow means absolutely zero in terms of who the best player is.

It is literally the opinion of umpires. And not even each umpire - it is a consensus of 4 umpires.

And we don't even know what their criteria is.

It is literally no different to you and your mates driving home from the game and coming up with a 3-2-1 yourselves.

Whether Cripps got 45 votes or 450 does not change anything in terms of how good his season was. All it literally means is that for some reason, some umpires thought he played well in a bunch of games.

It means nothing more than that.

It's just so bizarre to me how people view the Brownlow.

Whilst 45 votes is silly - this years Brownlow played out like most other Brownlows.

View attachment 2120062
It is how Crawford won it, Woewodin, Fyfe, Neale (maybe better than middling), Cooney, Mitchel, Danger, Priddis, Cotchin, Judd.

From memory Fyfe won his second Brownlow in 2019 and the team he played for (Freo) finished 13th on the ladder.

View attachment 2120062

Brownlow is an exercise in centralized recognition.

Centralized both from the playing position and also the centralizing of recognition on a team.

Totally agree.

I would argue that B&Fs are relevant also as they at least indicate that you are 'playing well' based on what it is that your club is asking you to do, rather than a bunch of media flogs sitting around a table looking at stats to determine who are the best players.

With all due respect, this logic just perplexes me.

The Brownlow means absolutely zero in terms of who the best player is.

It is literally the opinion of umpires. And not even each umpire - it is a consensus of 4 umpires.

And we don't even know what their criteria is.

It is literally no different to you and your mates driving home from the game and coming up with a 3-2-1 yourselves.

Whether Cripps got 45 votes or 450 does not change anything in terms of how good his season was. All it literally means is that for some reason, some umpires thought he played well in a bunch of games.

It means nothing more than that.

It's just so bizarre to me how people view the Brownlow.

But then the AFL MVP is an opinion award, the AFL Coaches award is also an opinion award. The Brownlow is an opinion award too. They are all "opinion awards" The All Australian is the same....at the end of the day all of these awards come down to "opinions" decided by people (players, umpires, coaches, All Australian selectors) who have been tasked with choosing the best players.

That's just how it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast The Brownlow has no credibility left

Remove this Banner Ad

Back