The Brownlow Medal (The Type of medal we never win)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Brownlow lost all credibility tonight.

Be it Adam Goodes getting votes for getting 14 touches in a 7 goal loss, Bartel not getting votes despite 38 touches and 2 goals (and only managing 4 votes in the second half of the season) or Harvey being overlooked nearly as badly as Bartel was.

And the farce to top all farces, Corey Enright had 37 touches, 11 marks and 3 goals off a back flank in one game and couldn't jag a vote.

No disrespect to Cooney whose first half of the year was outstanding, but there were too many anomalies to leave the award with any genuine credibility.

Now i won a stack of money on Cooney (took him at $101 in the preseason), but the voting was farcical and the entire event has been devalued by it.

That Goodes got votes in that game despite having his pants pulled down well and truly by the towel just makes you shake your head. The maggots have no idea sometimes.

Anyway, good on Cooney. I can't honestly say the best player this year won the award but he had a great year so it's hard to begrudge him it.

Anyway, good on Cooney. I can't honestly say the best player this year won the award but he had a great year so it's hard to begrudge him it.

Yeah, i've got nothing against him.

He had a great first half of the season and won me a stack of coin, but it's obvious to all that he wasn't the best player in 2008, and not even in the best 6-7.

There was definitely no love for Goodes in my house tonight. He didn't even have a good year but he kept ****in polling. I don't mind Cooney winning, although its strange to think of him in the same league as the other Charlie winners in AFL/VFL history.

Dissapointed for Gaz - but I am glad we now know how the umpires view of Selwood, he polled very well and will only improve.

Team polled the most votes by 20 odd to Hawthorn and like 30-50 over the rest of the clubs. I guess we need to be less team oriented and more star-centric to have more Brownlow winners :)

I've also got no problem with Cooney, however I have a real problem with the voting system.

Gaz has somewhat become a victim of his own greatness... Like his Dad and Buddy Franklin, he has to have 35 touches, kick 3 and have 10 tackles to score a vote whereas lesser players like Cooney can have 21 touches, 1 goal and a hard ball get a get 2-3 votes.

I AM IRATE TONIGHT.... Really really angers me!

Cooney probably deserved AA, but should not have even been close to the Charlie. This is ridiculous.

The amount of votes Black and Goodes get is a complete joke - fair dinkum I reckon they sometimes have two in the bag if they get through the banner.

At least Cooney's not the worst winner ever (in fact not even the worst Bulldog winner ever - well behind Libba and Brad Hardie for that title). But he is easily the worst since Woewodin, which I'm going to take as an omen - that year the Bombers won 21/22 in the H&A season and went on to win the flag.

In essence, the voting suggests the umpires think Cooney was twice the player Bartel was this season. What a crock of s**t.

At least Gaz won the two awards judged by those who actually have a f**king clue.

That Goodes got votes in that game despite having his pants pulled down well and truly by the towel just makes you shake your head. The maggots have no idea sometimes.

Ablett has been the best player for the last 2 years but hasnt won the award. Being geelong you have a lot of players that take votes of each other. Players like goodes play in a team with no real other stand out players which means the umpires notice him more. Not much you can do about it. the brownlow will always have its place but imo the coaches award is of a higher value.

also goodluck this weekend ;)

Bad luck to ablett, but he was always going to get votes taken by bartel, corey and selwood towards the end there when he was regathering form from injury. Would've liked Richo to win. Suprised Boomer harv's got bugger all votes.

Im pissed off about Big Dean Cox lack of votes, i wanted money, i thought i'd come whinge here with some others that can feel my pain, plus i think my own fans are sick of me going on about it. 3 votes for the year, while that piece of crap Sandilands gets 10. On that basis hes as good as Bartel hahahahahaha. What a jip.

weren't questioning the system last year..

Go and watch the Doggies' premiership on DVD. Oh wait, they only put the ones since 1964 on DVD. My bad.

Maybe you can just watch the Doggies play in a grand final instead. Oh, my bad again. The last grand final you played in was 1961.

Now run along little one. The adults are talking about football. Isn't it past your bedtime anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Brownlow lost all credibility tonight.

Be it Adam Goodes getting votes for getting 14 touches in a 7 goal loss, Bartel not getting votes despite 38 touches and 2 goals (and only managing 4 votes in the second half of the season) or Harvey being overlooked nearly as badly as Bartel was.

And the farce to top all farces, Corey Enright had 37 touches, 11 marks and 3 goals off a back flank in one game and couldn't jag a vote.

No disrespect to Cooney whose first half of the year was outstanding, but there were too many anomalies to leave the award with any genuine credibility.

BTW I won a stack on Cooney (got on at $101 in the pre-season), so i should be happy, but the voting tonight really devalued what should be the most prestigious individual award in the game.

so its a disgrace for cooney to win the brownlow even though he was fav upto the halfway mark but harvey who wasn't even a fav for the brownlow until the second half of the yr is robbed. yes ok. the seond half of the year is obvioously more important then the first because alot of you have seemed to have forgotten how good cooneys start to the year actully was. very unlucky not to get more votes in the first 15 rounds.

so its a disgrace for cooney to win the brownlow even though he was fav upto the halfway mark but harvey who wasn't even a fav for the brownlow until the second half of the yr is robbed. yes ok. the seond half of the year is obvioously more important then the first because alot of you have seemed to have forgotten how good cooneys start to the year actully was. very unlucky not to get more votes in the first 15 rounds.

Dw mate Cooney was very good this year. They're just upset they cant win everything, how quickly arrogance turns to anger. I'd hate to see what its like Saturday if/when Buddy and Roughead gets going.

PS "kthxbai"

Go and watch the Doggies' premiership on DVD. Oh wait, they only put the ones since 1964 on DVD. My bad.

Maybe you can just watch the Doggies play in a grand final instead. Oh, my bad again. The last grand final you played in was 1961.

Now run along little one. The adults are talking about football. Isn't it past your bedtime anyway?

eh school holidays, bed times kinda go out the window. If they ever exist in the first place.

Im pissed off about Big Dean Cox lack of votes, i wanted money, i thought i'd come whinge here with some others that can feel my pain, plus i think my own fans are sick of me going on about it. 3 votes for the year, while that piece of crap Sandilands gets 10. On that basis hes as good as Bartel hahahahahaha. What a jip.

I feel for ya mate!! Dean should have reached what Sandilands did easily. Oh well.

Mrs D...Mrs I...Mrs FFI...Mrs C..Mrs U..Mrs LTY

How long till our beloved "Nasty" starts a thread slagging off the geelong players for stealing Abletts votes..... i say 7am tomorrow....:D

Dw mate Cooney was very good this year. They're just upset they cant win everything, how quickly arrogance turns to anger. I'd hate to see what its like Saturday if/when Buddy and Roughead gets going.

PS "kthxbai"

Rubbish. They're upset because the voting was a steaming pile. Cooney was very good, but not Brownlow Medal good.

Jimmey Bartel:

Round 2 - 38 touches, 9 marks, 2 goals = 0 votes
Round 3 - 30 touches, 10 marks = 0 votes
Round 4 - 31 touches, 9 marks = you guessed it, 0 votes
Round 5 - 27 touches, 10 tackles, 2 goals = 3 votes. Sorry, 0 votes
Round 10 - 28 touches, 6 tackles, 1 goal = what? 0 votes!
Round 13 - 28 touches, 6 marks, 1 goal = nope
Round 15 - 32 touches, 8 marks, 2 goalskis = hahahaha, whuh?
Round 16 - 31 touches, 2 goals = noooooooo! 0 votes
Round 18 - 32 bites....7 marks....8 tackles.............2 goals....one behind = F###! 0 votes!
Round 20 - 29 touches, 9 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal = Rio de Janiro
Round 21 - 37 lazy touches, 11 marks, 3 tackles, 8 screams of anger = Robert Deniro

What does this mean? I'm so drunk I can't think straight. Did someone really say that Jimmy didn't win?

No Cooney was definitely good. You cant degrade him simply cos the umps were shithouse on many occasions.

His contribution this season was one of the main reason the Dogs finished up 3rd. If he wasnt there i wonder how far they would've fell down the ladder. Everyone gets swept away with this crapping on as if the Geelong midfield is the 6 best players in the comp. Well they're not, without their best midfield 'stars' for a long period of time (not 1-2 games) and cop some key injuries they would find themselves in the same boat as my club was this year. Cooney's impact was as good as if not greater than Jimmy earlier in the season. Plus he had to work alot harder for it. He had many 30+ possession games too. So quit your bitching guys and worry about the thing that matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Brownlow Medal (The Type of medal we never win)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back