The Budget

Remove this Banner Ad

$20 a week for jobseeker is better than a kick in the teeth, but it sounds woefully inadequate for what people need. (At least this kind of thing is on the agenda now I guess)

Bulk-billing/PBS changes are welcome.

It's a cautious budget, and it's going to be difficult for the L/NP to counter. Once again, they seem to have sidelined themselves with Angus playing the fool. Most of the criticism and alternatives proposed are more likely to come from the Greens side.

We are still well overdue for a budget that addresses some of the structural reform required. Chalmers will have to prove his mettle when revenues drop.

Well delivered thus far, Jimbo.

Who's that next to Anne Aly?

Annika Wells

$20 a week for job seeker, plus $15.50 a week in the rent rebate. So $71 a fortnight for those on both. I'd spend that on a Sunday having coffee and lunch with one of my kids.

$20 a week for job seeker, plus $15.50 a week in the rent rebate. So $71 a fortnight for those on both. I'd spend that on a Sunday having coffee and lunch with one of my kids.

20 bucks a week is terrible, that is not even a quarter tank of petrol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a weird flex to get 1 budget surplus then budget for years off losses. Unless I miss heard that.

It is also weird to talk about structural challenges to the budget but not really expand on it.

Any way, I assume the bulk billing will help those who need it.

It's setting the bar low so if they even get close to another surplus next year, which actually is more likely then not when riding largely on commodity prices, then they will get extra credit heading towards an election.

This will get the eyes picked out of it, but overall it looks a good solid albeit safe budget.

20 bucks a week is terrible, that is not even a quarter tank of petrol.

For a government that spent 9 years in opposition complaining how woeful the dole rate was and how underfunded NDIS is, 2 budgets in and they’ve still done nothing for either if them!

As stated it’s a very safe budget that shows the government is not planning on making any drastic improvements to people’s lives until the week before the next election…

It's a weird flex to get 1 budget surplus then budget for years off losses. Unless I miss heard that.

It is also weird to talk about structural challenges to the budget but not really expand on it.

The years of budget losses are due to the stage 3 tax cuts I’m pretty sure..

For a government that spent 9 years in opposition complaining how woeful the dole rate was and how underfunded NDIS is, 2 budgets in and they’ve still done nothing for either if them!

As stated it’s a very safe budget that shows the government is not planning on making any drastic improvements to people’s lives until the week before the next election…

Did you not hear the savings they’ve found???? FFS … the previous government treated the NDIS as a slush found.

Australia's income relies on world commodity prices & China.

Did you not hear the savings they’ve found???? FFS … the previous government treated the NDIS as a slush found.

The ‘savings’ are no longer giving people a new or increased plan but just rolling it over year after year. No work and the total paid out never goes up despite cost ballooning, good ‘savings’

Angus: This is not a budget that does it. A typical family with three kids will be $25,000 worse off a year under this budget than they were.

[CITATION NEEDED]

He's a pound-shop shadow treasurer. Absolutely pales in aptitude compared to Chalmers

The years of budget losses are due to the stage 3 tax cuts I’m pretty sure..

At ~$25B per year, there would still be a slight deficit, but it would have debt as a % of GDP retreating sooner.

Structurally we're in a dicey position with the long-term costs of an older population bearing upon us and a government terrified of even maintaining current revenue.

1683632639081.png

Remove this Banner Ad

The Budget

Remove this Banner Ad

Back