The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

You know what I am starting to realise? I probably already knew this, but it’s pretty evident at this moment.

I believe that people’s complaints on here (specifically neutrals) about Bulldogs’ positive free kick differential is driven by the Tall Poppy Syndrome and not people’s desire for true equity in the game. Why you ask? Well, I don’t see calls for a ‘Royal Commission’ into the following free kick differential (Richmond)

Adelaide +7
Essendon +5
Bulldogs +4
North Melbourne +3
Hawthorn +1 (overall)
—————————
St Kilda -5 (overall)
Melbourne -7
Gold Coast -7
Fremantle -8
Collingwood -8
Geelong -9 (overall)
Brisbane -10 (overall)
Carlton -10
Port Adelaide -10
West Coast -10
Sydney -10
GWS -12 (overall)

-86 is a large differential and a bigger outlier than Bulldogs’ +72 in 22 rounds, but you probably won’t find calls for a review into this from many neutrals. Only from Richmond fans and maybe some impartial neutrals. And yes, I am fully aware that I am a Richmond supporter posting about Richmond in a thread about Bulldogs, but I am doing that because this is actually the best current example for what I’m trying to convey. This isn’t just about Richmond - you can use Hawthorn, Essendon, Fremantle, Sydney, GWS and St Kilda as examples for this over the years as well.

Point is that it’s convenient for a ‘neutral’ to raise awareness and demand action against a successful Bulldogs having a large positive differential (or a successful West Coast having a large positive differential at home) because it weakens the authenticity of their success in many people’s eyes. This leads many to be more open to conspiracy theories about how this differential came to be.
However, it’s not as convenient for a ‘neutral’ to do the same for a club (especially if they are successful) on the other end of the differential because that may weaken your club’s achievements over that club. Therefore, ‘neutrals’ largely don’t care about that and will apply Occam’s Razor on the large negative differentials (e.g. put it down to discipline or gamestyle).

Why does this occur? From my observations, I think it’s because many supporters of the game are driven by the Tall Poppy Syndrome and not actual equity. Equity is an argument they’ll only use until their team gets what Bulldogs have now. That’s when they’ll start to base it on “gamestyle” and “discipline”.
An objective analyser would address both negative and positive outliers regardless of whether it helps or impacts their club.

Bottom line - and let’s be honest - is that:
1. Many neutrals on this thread are only complaining about Bulldogs and their ‘ride’ because their team is not receiving it.
2. Many Bulldogs fans are not complaining because it’s their team that is receiving it.
3. Many Richmond fans are complaining about the negative differential because their team is impacted by it.
4. Many neutrals don’t care about Richmond’s differential because their team is not the ones impacted by this.

I feel like these 4 things remain a constant on this website. It’s just the team and the supporter base that changes depending on what category they fall in.

TL;DR - I believe that many non-Bulldogs supporters calling out Bulldogs’ differential aren’t actually driven by equity. Rather, I believe that they’re driven by the Tall Poppy Syndrome.

You know what I am starting to realise? I probably already knew this, but it’s pretty evident at this moment.

I believe that people’s complaints on here (specifically neutrals) about Bulldogs’ positive free kick differential is driven by the Tall Poppy Syndrome and not people’s desire for true equity in the game. Why you ask? Well, I don’t see calls for a ‘Royal Commission’ into the following free kick differential (Richmond)

Adelaide +7
Essendon +5
Bulldogs +4
North Melbourne +3
Hawthorn +1 (overall)
—————————
St Kilda -5 (overall)
Melbourne -7
Gold Coast -7
Fremantle -8
Collingwood -8
Geelong -9 (overall)
Brisbane -10 (overall)
Carlton -10
Port Adelaide -10
West Coast -10
Sydney -10
GWS -12 (overall)

-86 is a large differential and a bigger outlier than Bulldogs’ +72 in 22 rounds, but you probably won’t find calls for a review into this from many neutrals. Only from Richmond fans and maybe some impartial neutrals. And yes, I am fully aware that I am a Richmond supporter posting about Richmond in a thread about Bulldogs, but I am doing that because this is actually the best current example for what I’m trying to convey. This isn’t just about Richmond - you can use Hawthorn, Essendon, Fremantle, Sydney, GWS and St Kilda as examples for this over the years as well.

Point is that it’s convenient for a ‘neutral’ to raise awareness and demand action against a successful Bulldogs having a large positive differential (or a successful West Coast having a large positive differential at home) because it weakens the authenticity of their success in many people’s eyes. This leads many to be more open to conspiracy theories about how this differential came to be.
However, it’s not as convenient for a ‘neutral’ to do the same for a club (especially if they are successful) on the other end of the differential because that may weaken your club’s achievements over that club. Therefore, ‘neutrals’ largely don’t care about that and will apply Occam’s Razor on the large negative differentials (e.g. put it down to discipline or gamestyle).

Why does this occur? From my observations, I think it’s because many supporters of the game are driven by the Tall Poppy Syndrome and not actual equity. Equity is an argument they’ll only use until their team gets what Bulldogs have now. That’s when they’ll start to base it on “gamestyle” and “discipline”.
An objective analyser would address both negative and positive outliers regardless of whether it helps or impacts their club.

1. Many neutrals on this thread are only complaining about Bulldogs and their ‘ride’ because their team is not receiving it.
2. Many Bulldogs fans are not complaining because it’s their team that is receiving it.
3. Many Richmond fans are complaining about the negative differential because their team is impacted by it.
4. Many neutrals don’t care about Richmond’s differential because their team is not the ones impacted by this.

I feel like these 4 things remain a constant on this website. It’s just the team and the supporter base that changes depending on what category they fall in.

TL;DR - I believe that many non-Bulldogs supporters calling out Bulldogs’ differential aren’t actually driven by equity. Rather, I believe that they’re driven by the Tall Poppy Syndrome.

I don’t see many tigers fans complaining. Why? Because you still win finals and flags despite the differential. If there is a correlation between free kick differential and us winning.. why aren’t the tigers struggling?

I don’t see many tigers fans complaining. Why? Because you still win finals and flags despite the differential.
Yeah, that’s true. Well, at least to an extent as many of us still complain about some of the umpiring in our games. We’re just glad that our team was good enough to win so much despite the differential

Yeah, that’s true. Well, at least to an extent as many of us still complain about some of the umpiring in our games. We’re just glad that our team was good enough to win so much despite the differential

You’re an amazing side that just gets on with it and wins. If there was a correlation between free kick differential and success.. you’d be struggling.

Adelaide +7
Essendon +5
Bulldogs +4
North Melbourne +3
Hawthorn +1 (overall)
—————————
St Kilda -5 (overall)
Melbourne -7
Gold Coast -7
Fremantle -8
Collingwood -8
Geelong -9 (overall)
Brisbane -10 (overall)
Carlton -10
Port Adelaide -10
West Coast -10
Sydney -10
GWS -12 (overall)

Why bother bringing reasoning to such a low IQ thread?

And there was another 20 that went unpunished. But running under a sh*t bounce with a minute on the clock is totally unfair.
Umpires notice incorrect disposal about 1 in 10 times that it occurs and that's probably generous. I remember a few weeks ago Robbie Gray did about 5 one handed shovels in a row. If the theory that the bulldogs throw more than other teams is correct (personally I see so many throws from all teams that any difference between teams is neglible) than of course they will get away with it, because such a small percentage of incorrect disposal ever gets called across all games.

Adelaide +7
Essendon +5
Bulldogs +4
North Melbourne +3
Hawthorn +1 (overall)
—————————
St Kilda -5 (overall)
Melbourne -7
Gold Coast -7
Fremantle -8
Collingwood -8
Geelong -9 (overall)
Brisbane -10 (overall)
Carlton -10
Port Adelaide -10
West Coast -10
Sydney -10
GWS -12 (overall)

Don’t waste your talking so much sense. The nuffies in this thread haven’t the head for it.

Adelaide +7
Essendon +5
Bulldogs +4
North Melbourne +3
Hawthorn +1 (overall)
—————————
St Kilda -5 (overall)
Melbourne -7
Gold Coast -7
Fremantle -8
Collingwood -8
Geelong -9 (overall)
Brisbane -10 (overall)
Carlton -10
Port Adelaide -10
West Coast -10
Sydney -10
GWS -12 (overall)

Why wouldn’t that translate to the other top 4 teams then? Don’t see a lot of people calling out Melbourne or Port for a free ride. Geelong with Selwood a bit.

Those 20K are a portal to their much wider diasporic communities.

Anyway, play on. I said quite clearly I don't believe there is a conspiracy, just chucking in a suggestion and couldn't care what anyone thinks of it.

AFL total attendance in 2021 so far at a nudge under 3.9m. Total attendance at Bulldogs games somewhere around 370k, so if even 50% of that were Bulldogs supporters that's 185k Bulldog bums on seats. 185k out of 3.9 million people. TV ratings, jesus I don't even know where to start with making estimates about that but lets just continue the trend and say whatever the number is then Bulldog favouring viewers are maybe 10-15% of that total.

Your much wider diasporic communities would have to number into the millions to make grand fudgery of this scale by the AFL worth it. Millions of people out there who wouldn't otherwise be sucked into this portal to the AFL product except for their connection to these 20k people who live in Footscray, of which about half are your migrant communities that you're basing this all on.

Wild. I wonder if the people of Footscray realise just how much power they wield.

Why wouldn’t that translate to the other top 4 teams then? Don’t see a lot of people calling out Melbourne or Port for a free ride. Geelong with Selwood a bit.
Well they don’t have the same positive differential as Bulldogs do. My main point is that neutrals in our game seem to look at outliers towards the top because of the Tall Poppy Syndrome. If people were genuine about equity in this game, then they would have looked at all outliers in all parts of the ladder and not just positive outliers at the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, you’ve just said the same thing I just did. There’s no correlation between free kick differential and success. We won the free kick count and yet still finished 5th.

It’s certainly a variable. All finalists were in the top eleven for free kick differential. It’s not nothing.

It’s certainly a variable. All finalists were in the top eleven for free kick differential. It’s not nothing.

And yet only dogs get a mention. Port fans on here have been very vocal about our flops and dives and many free kicks. Yet they had more free kicks than us this year 🤣. It’s quite hilarious.

And yet only dogs get a mention. Port fans on here have been very vocal about our flops and dives and many free kicks. Yet they had more free kicks than us this year 🤣. It’s quite hilarious.

The odd game where your club doesn't pay umpires doesn't equate to the Dogs not sending crypto or transferring money in the Cayman Islands to the umpiring scum in other games.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back