Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Has anyone heard any whisperings? I've been looking out, but have seen nothing. Does this mean Vanders is still the man? Or will they just announce it later on?
I don't reckon Vanders staying on would be as bad as many might think. But I'd still love to see Hodgey or Mitch get it. Especially Hodge. I reckon it might make him.....

I'm inclined to agree with you. I believe Hodge is the man most likely to lead us to a premiership. Installing him now is not premiture, although Sam would be very unlucky not to get the job.

I think its definately time now. It's the first year where we have a solid chance of finals and where results matter more heavily than previous years. We're slowly phasing into premiership mode once we make the finals and the new era should begin with the right captain.

I'm a believer in the rotating Captain notion. Even better: a rotating Vice Captain. In my book, one of the team's younger leaders should get the VC gig each year, and their role would be on-field leadership - those last words before each quarter; stepping up through the middle of the ground when it really counts etc.

There to support them would be the leadership group - every other player who has ever held the VC position. This leadership group would select the club captain each year, whose role would be to simply lead the leaders, particularly off the field - in player discipline matters etc.

In that context, I'd like to see Vanders remain as captain this year, with Mitch taking the on-field leadership role - tossing the coin, talking to players on the field (Vanders of course could chime in at will). In '08, Hodge as VC; then Willo or Trent, etc...

I'm not into the whole captain rotation thing. The captain is more than an on field leader these days, they have a significant role in promoting the club. Also I think rotation devalues the captaincy.

Just look at Barry Hall feeling guilty last year accepting the premieship cup. This is the ulitmate prize to the captain, bigger than the brownlow, bigger than the MVP and for that matter any award and he felt guilt. How ridiculous - Barry Hall should be the leader of the swans, for nothing else than his profile and ability to promote the club (I mean Kirk and Barry may be good players but captaincy material?).

Also I think this is where St. Kilda have fallen down - I mean not having Hamil as captain is silly.

For me, I'd make Luke Hodge captain and mabye appoint several vice-captains - but Hodge has to be the man - he has to be the man the leads our great club to future success. Sam would make a great vice-captain but IMO not captain.

Mr.Likeable said:
I'm a believer in the rotating Captain notion.

It has its pros, but I think a player should be able to get the captaincy again, he just cant go 2 years running. The capaintancy comes from the leadership group with the VC positions being a senior player and a player who is trying to step up. I dont know how big the leadership group is, limit it to say 6 players, and the competition to get into it will be rife, because you would then be a 1 in 5 chance of being captain.

IMO sam mitchell is the right choice next year, and should be a shoe in for the leadership teams after that.

Or maybe the capataincy rotates every 2 years, instead of 1.

Welcome, frankc.

frankc said:
I'm not into the whole captain rotation thing. The captain is more than an on field leader these days, they have a significant role in promoting the club. Also I think rotation devalues the captaincy.

I'm with you mate. Our club has a tradition of great captains. Also it should be considered that captains should not only be capable of and proficient at addressing the players but at important occasions, none bigger than standing on the dias accepting the premiership cup.

Gary Shadforth said:
I'm with you mate. Our club has a tradition of great captains. Also it should be considered that captains should not only be capable of and proficient at addressing the players but at important occasions, none bigger than standing on the dias accepting the premiership cup.

Ah, the weekly get rid of the captain thread with such indepth analysis.

BTW Gary I'm sure the captain has more important responsibilities than simply accepting a trophy.

I think Luke Hodge should be captain, only maybe joint with Sam. I feel Hodge as captain will ensure Hawthorn will not be or become a soft side. Because of the way Hodge plays, he will and can ask for guts & commitment, and I wouldn't want the be a younge player singled out or glared at by Hodge on game day. I think Hodge can make Hawthorn a team of hard nuts, with real commitment (an all for one and one for all team).

Go Hodgey.....Go Hawks:D

Hodgey all day long!!.. IMO

In saying that Sammy would make an exceptional Skipper as well...

Either way we will be getting an outstanding leader...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PatientHawk said:
I think Luke Hodge should be captain, only maybe joint with Sam. I feel Hodge as captain will ensure Hawthorn will not be or become a soft side. Because of the way Hodge plays, he will and can ask for guts & commitment, and I wouldn't want the be a younge player singled out or glared at by Hodge on game day. I think Hodge can make Hawthorn a team of hard nuts, with real commitment (an all for one and one for all team).

Go Hodgey.....Go Hawks:D
I agree :thumbsu: Loved it when he was giving it to Hirdy on Hirdy,s Night.Great leadership qualitys and would lead by example :thumbsu: Really hope he gets it Go Hogdey:)

hodge, only because he is in the same mould as michael voss. we need someone with that sort of mentality on game day.

matty_hawk said:
hodge, only because he is in the same mould as michael voss. we need someone with that sort of mentality on game day.

That's why I reckon it should be a co-captaincy.....we need Hodgey's General/marshalling of troops strength on gameday, and then Mitch would be better with the public speaking aspect of it all.....

One Captain, Hodge.

Lets not follow the unproven and devaluing concept of co or rotating captains. Hodge has all the attributes and will grow into the role as the Hawks grow into a force.

Richie is a great club man and I wouldn't be surprised to see him step aside and concentrate on his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

The captaincy....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back