Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep could bore everyone with some stories.
Bruised, get on with it. Cracked a week lay off as distinct from broken and slightly displaced which may get two or three.
Rib cartilage on another level, didn't do playing, but later with horses. Either I was getting softer or lingers longer and pain at least as bad as "broken".

Spare a thought for my ex jockey missus, career ended with 9 broken (flail chest) 1 re attached to wrong rib. 2 "floating" (not attached), as is a decent
"chip". To this day question medical "experts" who wouldn't operate to reattach spruiking that it would do more damage to cut open. Yet have seen plenty
of clips since where just that was done. Remains scariest day of my life. Lost her twice before ambos could drive the 1 bloody kilometre 20mins. Absolutely fluked rolling her the right way after being told on phone to roll her on her side to prevent drowning, other side would have been no hope. Ribs....memories......aaaagh. (extra info, when I had my pelvis smashed 6 weeks later, one of the attending ambos recognised her. Oh look I have your x rays on my phone, never seen an injury like it. Nobody expected you to survive. Hmmm have to love political correctness)
Geez that one hell of story CB pretty f****ing amazing...

Geez that one hell of story CB pretty f****ing amazing...
More to the story, you couldn't script if you will indulge me.

At the time, just was what it was. Certainly changed our world. The little one in the Avatar changed it again in a positive way, but certainly was living a nightmare for a while, with long term ramifications. If you want to take it further, she was going out to rider trackwork for another trainer while I washed one of ours. Horse had known (not to us) bad habits, had to be kept on move when mounting and going out. Clowns met her on the path to the track and legged up stationary. Flipped on top of her. Bloody trainer and his strapper went off to look after the horse as she lay potentially dying with me attending waiting for ambo.
Phone operator after first revival and chase up as to where ambulance was told me to roll her on side (recovery position) because of fluid in lung. At that stage didn't know which side had sustained most damage. Rolled her to damaged side and she lost consciousness before regaining it what seemed like an eternity later, probably only 20 seconds but seemed like an eternity.

Got to country hospital (Coonabarabran thus user name) where no surgery was done. Senior doc not there, young GP had to do chest drain. Had a nurse actually say he doesn't know what he is doing, he will kill her while I was waiting. To this day he shakes when speaks of the highlight of his career when her lung drained and reinflated. Tough day for young fella, but got it done. Wasn't a text book job and did some extra damage, but got it done. I then had to move 8 horses to allow drive to RPA in Sydney while she was airlifted. Happened at daybreak, mid morning left hospital, two truckloads of horses 350km round trip to nearest spelling farm I was acquainted with at Wellington then in the car via cattery her her beloved pussy, and 400km or so to RPA arrived 10.30pm that night and was there for a week. She came out of coma after 5 days. Virtual first words were about riding again. Doctors did not tell either of us that was not practical. She could ride, but another severe fall would likely finish the job.

Made it back to Coona a week later via car, as flying a no no with pressure in lungs. With hospital dithering for hours with discharge after being told around lunch time she would be released, intended to overnight Lithgow or Bathurst. Couldn't do it as top of range and she was in agony from the pressure, had to go
lower. Through to Orange half way down range to find accommodation, there was none, some major convention on. No phone service Telstra was down for maintenance. True story arrived in Wellington, pubs etc closed, maybe 10.30pm absolutely knackered, she was still under medication, so when we got down to plains country was quite comfortable. We spent the rest of the night sitting up in our Camry in the Wellington showgrounds. I was frantic, she was chilled. Home next day. Hadn't been home more than a couple of months BTW.

With her desire to ride again, and not knowing she couldn't as docs were not honest trying to keep her positive, I brought a couple of horses back to work a couple of weeks later. Very few riders around so old muggings at around 100kg tried riding work for first time in years and got pelvis smashed (open book fracture for any medical students). 7 weeks in hospital, surgeons did shit job. Another true story, the ar**hole she was hurt riding for lobbed on our doorstep
while I was laid up and asked her to ride a gallop. I can't ride, I couldn't possible hold a horse. His response "you don't need to hold her, I just need a gallop",
incredulous she told him "politely" to get on his way and came to hospital to tell me. Ever had someone you would like to remove from the land of the living?

Sorry for thread derail, but it came up.

At the time, just was what it was. Certainly changed our world. The little one in the Avatar changed it again in a positive way, but certainly was living a nightmare for a while, with long term ramifications. If you want to take it further, she was going out to rider trackwork for another trainer while I washed one of ours. Horse had known (not to us) bad habits, had to be kept on move when mounting and going out. Clowns met her on the path to the track and legged up stationary. Flipped on top of her. Bloody trainer and his strapper went off to look after the horse as she lay potentially dying with me attending waiting for ambo.
Phone operator after first revival and chase up as to where ambulance was told me to roll her on side (recovery position) because of fluid in lung. At that stage didn't know which side had sustained most damage. Rolled her to damaged side and she lost consciousness before regaining it what seemed like an eternity later, probably only 20 seconds but seemed like an eternity.

Got to country hospital (Coonabarabran thus user name) where no surgery was done. Senior doc not there, young GP had to do chest drain. Had a nurse actually say he doesn't know what he is doing, he will kill her while I was waiting. To this day he shakes when speaks of the highlight of his career when her lung drained and reinflated. Tough day for young fella, but got it done. Wasn't a text book job and did some extra damage, but got it done. I then had to move 8 horses to allow drive to RPA in Sydney while she was airlifted. Happened at daybreak, mid morning left hospital, two truckloads of horses 350km round trip to nearest spelling farm I was acquainted with at Wellington then in the car via cattery her her beloved pussy, and 400km or so to RPA arrived 10.30pm that night and was there for a week. She came out of coma after 5 days. Virtual first words were about riding again. Doctors did not tell either of us that was not practical. She could ride, but another severe fall would likely finish the job.

Made it back to Coona a week later via car, as flying a no no with pressure in lungs. With hospital dithering for hours with discharge after being told around lunch time she would be released, intended to overnight Lithgow or Bathurst. Couldn't do it as top of range and she was in agony from the pressure, had to go
lower. Through to Orange half way down range to find accommodation, there was none, some major convention on. No phone service Telstra was down for maintenance. True story arrived in Wellington, pubs etc closed, maybe 10.30pm absolutely knackered, she was still under medication, so when we got down to plains country was quite comfortable. We spent the rest of the night sitting up in our Camry in the Wellington showgrounds. I was frantic, she was chilled. Home next day. Hadn't been home more than a couple of months BTW.

With her desire to ride again, and not knowing she couldn't as docs were not honest trying to keep her positive, I brought a couple of horses back to work a couple of weeks later. Very few riders around so old muggings at around 100kg tried riding work for first time in years and got pelvis smashed (open book fracture for any medical students). 7 weeks in hospital, surgeons did sh*t job. Another true story, the ar**hole she was hurt riding for lobbed on our doorstep
while I was laid up and asked her to ride a gallop. I can't ride, I couldn't possible hold a horse. His response "you don't need to hold her, I just need a gallop",
incredulous she told him "politely" to get on his way and came to hospital to tell me. Ever had someone you would like to remove from the land of the living?

Never mind 'ride like a girl' coona.
Would like to read the book and see the movie.
Unbelievable!!!
Thanks for sharing. 💙 :racehorse:

A friends Dad passed away recently he was a mad Carlton supporter / member, she didn’t care too much about footy, she asked if I would like his old membership medallion ...
BA157722-6C37-4FC8-8D49-DB5174389739.jpeg
I said....

With her desire to ride again, and not knowing she couldn't as docs were not honest trying to keep her positive, I brought a couple of horses back to work a couple of weeks later. Very few riders around so old muggings at around 100kg tried riding work for first time in years and got pelvis smashed (open book fracture for any medical students). 7 weeks in hospital, surgeons did sh*t job. Another true story, the ar**hole she was hurt riding for lobbed on our doorstep

That’s one hell of an experience for anyone to not just live through but survive, incredible stuff, thanks for sharing 👍

Tell me I’m wrong.

The footy is on and we’re wearing our away strip. 😑

I think it’s about time we took a stand and said no to the abomination that is our away strip.

Late edit: I was so excited when I saw the navy blue jumper and white shorts. Thank the lord for that competition with the members names on the back. It sealed the deal tonight.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did hear Don Scott mention some very sad info regarding David ‘Swan’ McKay’s latest health concern on the Podcast he does with Sam Newman today.

Wishing him & his family all the best with this next battle.

Swan was a terrific player, great clubman and a gentleman.
That is just stuffed.One of the greats. Wishing him all the best..

footy crucified latest - sam maclure thinks adelaide would jump at flicking gibbs back to us and we well might consider it - cornes, lloyd and hutchy hosed the idea down with a water cannon "he's not the player he was".........I tend to agree........

footy crucified latest - sam maclure thinks adelaide would jump at flicking gibbs back to us and we well might consider it - cornes, lloyd and hutchy hosed the idea down with a water cannon "he's not the player he was".........I tend to agree........
Anyone that has been at that club over the last 3 years will not be the same as the person they were before. That rabble has destroyed players and still has no self awareness

I was inclined to agree, but anything that those three agree on is food for thought in the opposite direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back