Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just having a Sunday morning coffee with the old man and of course we started talking footy … the old man has been supporting the club since he came to this country in 1948 and I asked him for his summation of the season thus far … this was his reply … ‘watching grass grow in my backyard is a million times more exciting than watching them play at the moment, they’re so boring’ … I think he’s onto something lol …

Corey Durdin and Motlop were selections late twenties & early thirties. So there’re fine , we‘re expecting scintillating performances of Ist rounders.
They’ll develop & to be solid contributors, very young & inexperienced.
Charlie Cameron & Stengle are the exceptions, being rookie selections making a huge impact on the big stage , amazing footballers.

I agree there, Surrey.
All of our small forwards can kick great goals but the problem is that their influence is limited around the ground.
Very few of our players can actually hold a tackle in our forward 50, and as a result the ball goes end to end far too often.

We simply don't have any point of difference players.
Our midfield is one paced, which worsens the results of our poor ball use.

I think the list problem has been an avalanche for years, going back to our obsession with Irish players, and before that, choosing athletes over footballers, but Austin is not the man to turn this around from what we've seen so far.

No argument from me there. They are both potentially good players. Both have amazing skills.
With a few more pre-seasons hopefully they'll take their games to another level.

My problem with list management is that it's same, same, eg Kemp and McGovern. Kemp is the better option there atm. McGovern shirks the contest too often.
If they are both on the list next year then 1 needs to be playing as a 3rd leading forward imho.

The midfield is the same, Kennedy, Hewitt, etc.
This should be Ed's last year but we still need a point of difference player in there that has speed and good ball use.

Why does it matter, heaps of players come into the league and change position to become AFL player.
How many mid way through their first season?
Simpson was a good kick, not excellent, the two aren't that far apart and the easiest part of the ground to kick into is the widest, so coming out of defence into the midfield.
Simpson was a much better kick than Hollands is.

A large part of the reason why Simmo (and Houlihan) were moved behind the ball was their ability to use it well.

Hollands doesn't have that in his game. He may down the track, but it's not there curently.

It doesn't matter when a player get's moved.
Sure it does. You can't bemoan a lack of development and then advocate for throwing someone to the wolves on a whim. It wouldn't happen.

I've called so many player moves, that have worked I'm happy to keep doing it. Done it as a coach and have called it with AFL players. Reckon i was the first to call for Jones to full back on here a long time ago and that was met with the same feedback.
Cool - well done.

Remind me, did the coaching staff just wake up one day and play Jones at full back in the senior side? Or did he do a lengthy stint in that role at the lower level?
I'm suggesting a part of players development is that they develop so they can be rotated. Bench restrictions and smaller list sizes means that you need players to rotate on the field. It's a must have. You do that by recruiting players who can but also developing players so they can. When we rotate it's real fish out of water stuff because it's forced and it's not genuinely a part of our game plan or preseason planning. That's obvious. We're miles behind.
No real issue doing it over the off-season, even though it arguably completely negates Hollands' greatest strength.

My main issue is the timing of it. It would be poor to do it now.
We don't have the midfield rotations. We don't have the multipositional players in our team. Our players are poor when they rotate apart from Docherty and last year's Cripps.
And your solution is to take someone out of the midfield rotation?

Yes Hollands needs a position to go to and sit for 5 minutes some quarter and impact, so does Acres, so does Cripps, Cerra, Kennedy, Fisher, Durdin, Docherty, DeKoning etc. Because they have the talent, they don't have the development and limiting opportunity or giving no opportunity is killing that.
Hollands wasn't purely an outside midfielder at junior level but that's what he finds himself as currently. In time there's every chance he develops more inside, thus adding the extra string to his bow.

It's not always as simplistic as put him on a different line.

How many mid way through their first season?

Simpson was a much better kick than Hollands is.

A large part of the reason why Simmo (and Houlihan) were moved behind the ball was their ability to use it well.

Hollands doesn't have that in his game. He may down the track, but it's not there curently.

Sure it does. You can't bemoan a lack of development and then advocate for throwing someone to the wolves on a whim. It wouldn't happen.

Cool - well done.

Remind me, did the coaching staff just wake up one day and play Jones at full back in the senior side? Or did he do a lengthy stint in that role at the lower level?

No real issue doing it over the off-season, even though it arguably completely negates Hollands' greatest strength.

My main issue is the timing of it. It would be poor to do it now.

And your solution is to take someone out of the midfield rotation?

Hollands wasn't purely an outside midfielder at junior level but that's what he finds himself as currently. In time there's every chance he develops more inside, thus adding the extra string to his bow.

It's not always as simplistic as put him on a different line.
I'm backing my ability to read a players abilities and saying that he can. And can easily. Players should be pushed to have a second position, it should be a part of their preseason and development. It has not been at Carlton and it's showing.

Simpson had games where he could not hit the side of a barn, he became reliable.

Hollands is not a bad kick, it's easier kicking the ball out of the backline than it is into the forward line. It would make him a better kick playing defence, give him easier options more space etc.

The difference between half back and wing is minute.

It would not be poor to do it now. It should have been orchestrated in the preseason. But that's just us, we have come into 2023 with very few players playing secondary positions and playing them well enough to suggest they have been prepared for it.

No my solution is to add more to our players development so we have rotations. Mids who go back or forward. Forwards who go back or mid. Develop that a little more.

I think Hollands and Binns could both end up inside at some point. There's a rebuild coming for our inside group and those two could be the key to that.

We have an issue with pace around the ball, why would we move one of our better endurance players away from the ball?

Just having him back there while 'he rests' isn't a particularly well thought out plan either. Very few people learn well when under fatigue. If he's needing a rest, throwing him into a new position isn't likely to help.

I'm backing my ability to read a players abilities and saying that he can. And can easily. Players should be pushed to have a second position, it should be a part of their preseason and development. It has not been at Carlton and it's showing.
Again, not sure why you're going down the preseason path. This didn't seem part of your initial point. Why change the goal posts?

If they want to move him back at times through the preseason, different story, but it still largely negates his greatest attribute.
Simpson had games where he could not hit the side of a barn, he became reliable.
Every player has 'games' where their disposal is off.

Throughout his career Simpson was a very good kick of the football. It's a major reason why he was moved back. Hollands will improve but no comparison between the two currently does him any justice whatsoever.

Hollands is not a bad kick, it's easier kicking the ball out of the backline than it is into the forward line. It would make him a better kick playing defence, give him easier options more space etc.

He's not a bad kick, but it's not a weapon of his. There's a reason why teams sat on Simpson to try and negate his impact.

Hollands right now is an OK kick at best. That's more though to do with adjusting to the pace of the game rather than a technique issue, and that timing will come.

The difference between half back and wing is minute.
No. It really isn't.

It would not be poor to do it now. It should have been orchestrated in the preseason. But that's just us, we have come into 2023 with very few players playing secondary positions and playing them well enough to suggest they have been prepared for it.

How many teams make such drastic positional changes mid season? How many do it with first year players?

Last time I can think of Carlton doing it was Teague with Dow. And that was a disaster. It's not a common occurrence.

There are many reasons to be frustrated with Carlton right now, not sure you need to fabricate one that simply isn't there.

No my solution is to add more to our players development so we have rotations. Mids who go back or forward. Forwards who go back or mid. Develop that a little more.
He's already a midfield option, so no, moving him out of the midfield doesn't do what you're suggesting.

I think Hollands and Binns could both end up inside at some point. There's a rebuild coming for our inside group and those two could be the key to that.

Yes. But not for a few years yet I'd say.

On the surface, it is easy to agree.

Look a little deeper and it would be counter productive. Neither Walsh or Weitering have displayed the mettle to believe they would currently be a step up. Docherty is the closest we have to a statesman who could step up, but that creates as many issues as it would fix.

Hoping the likes of Cerra and Pittonet step up in the leadership sphere quickly.

Living arrangements of our youngster say a bit too. Rather than create a mentor arrangement to develop the boys, with a mingling of ages, we tend to seperate the boys. The Durdin, Motlop, Carroll household might be amicable, but if you put boys with boys, the behaviours continue to be boyish (if you know what I mean).

I think of it that we could get a net gain. If it puts a weight off cripps that gives an uptick in form that would help the confidence of the group. It would also certify that the coach is in charge and stop any POSSIBLE grifts between players and coach.

As a left feild approach, if we wanted to play with freedom and bring energy around the place, (he’d need to agree) charlie could be a good captain for the remainder of the year. High training standards, high energy.

Could affect his form but worth a discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes let's be ostriches and stick our heads in the sand. If you honestly think that everything is hunky dory in the club at the moment then I'm sorry but I just can't break it to you gently.

One of Voss's prime reasons for getting the gig, was that he was a leader of men and relationship builder (basically got some cert from a one day course).... Vossy, time to lead then.
Who the **** is sticking their head in the sand?

He said "we're not good enough at the moment". Surely there's nothing wrong with saying that? It's the truth.

Don't have a problem with it at all. King then suggests "surely they don't need to start again" and no we certainly don't but we do need to move on a number of players.

I do think the club has over rated the current list somewhat in terms of our lesser lights and that we have held onto perennialy injured players for too long but there is absolutely no need to use words like rebuild.

Don't have a problem with it at all. King then suggests "surely they don't need to start again" and no we certainly don't but we do need to move on a number of players.

I do think the club has over rated the current list somewhat in terms of our lesser lights and that we have held onto perennialy injured players for too long but there is absolutely no need to use words like rebuild.

If our players that are injured, weren’t perennialy injured like you say, we’d have a widely recognised injury crisis.

We’re relying consistently on players that should be depth players

If our players that are injured, weren’t perennialy injured like you say, we’d have a widely recognised injury crisis.

We’re relying consistently on players that should be depth players

Yep, Williams and Cunners would be automatic, Martin (as much as I'm not a fan) would be another and probably Marchbank. Maybe even big Durdin and who the **** would know with Philp, he could actually be a jet.

And a few of those depth players should have gone awhile ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think of it that we could get a net gain. If it puts a weight off cripps that gives an uptick in form that would help the confidence of the group. It would also certify that the coach is in charge and stop any POSSIBLE grifts between players and coach.

As a left feild approach, if we wanted to play with freedom and bring energy around the place, (he’d need to agree) charlie could be a good captain for the remainder of the year. High training standards, high energy.

Could affect his form but worth a discussion.

Reckon Pitto would be a good captain.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why are people leaking information idiots?

Keep all the dysfunction under lock and key so it can just fester away without being called out?
How does us knowing about it fix the issue? If this issue exists the people with the power to fix it would know about it

I reckon we don't need the Captain to be the best player.

Just has to be a good communicator.

Let the best players play, without the burden.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Chris Judd, Marc Murphy, Cripps... All great players but not inspiring leaders from the outside.

Sam Docherty was the anointed one until the ACL that lead to Cripps being made co-captain, and probably the most suited (imo) of that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back