Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of those haven't deserted him...

Sure, he's getting fewer opportunities... but relatively speaking, he didn't butcher shots at goal as often as he is now.

I just can't fathom how a bloke who's been given a contract till 2030 on significant money has all of a sudden become completely inept of confidence and technique with set shots and needs to relearn how to do it. Complete s**t show. Confidence and technique come from practice and hard work...
Why? You've got a still living, still playing example in Jack Darling still wandering around.

This is a guy who rejected help from Fevola...
I seem to remember Fev being noted in the media early in his career as having a unique/different method/balldrop compared to the great examples of that era. There's also a question of how much coaching Fev has done, ever; a great player does not from necessity make a great coach.
Like I said, the only thing that will change it is his application...

Unfortunately, his attitude has been terrible... "all learnings" give me a break..
It feels - to me - that you're expressing dissatisfaction as opposed to discussing this with me. Which is fine, but it's not really something I can allieviate or reason you out of.

About all we have to go from is what others in the club has said, and the evidence we have from the weekends.

I seem to remember Fev being noted in the media early in his career as having a unique/different method/balldrop compared to the great examples of that era. There's also a question of how much coaching Fev has done, ever; a great player does not from necessity make a great coach.

It feels - to me - that you're expressing dissatisfaction as opposed to discussing this with me. Which is fine, but it's not really something I can allieviate or reason you out of.

About all we have to go from is what others in the club has said, and the evidence we have from the weekends.

Don't need to be a coach to give a bit of advice. Ross Lyon was instrumental in helping Fev out with his ball drop.

What the club have said, meaning Voss, correct? Along the lines of nobody works harder, is more professional etc...

Contradicts what we've seen from him as well as his attitude off field. The point I'm trying to get at is, no one is holding him accountable. We preached that we would be driving high performance standards. When he fluffed up against Collingwood last year that should have been it, the last straw. But we've seen the same blunders this year. All we get from the coach is, he's happy with how he's going.

That's why I said don't put it past them to never help him improve. It really would not surprise me to see him stagnate/regress until we make significant changes to our coaching staff. And no, that doesn't mean sack Voss.

Didn’t Fev say he actually holds & drops the ball with one hand & only has the other one there so he didn’t look silly?

Ben Dixon was kicking coach I think? I also think having a person in the media doing it wouldn’t be ideal.

Don't need to be a coach to give a bit of advice. Ross Lyon was instrumental in helping Fev out with his ball drop.

What the club have said, meaning Voss, correct? Along the lines of nobody works harder, is more professional etc...

Contradicts what we've seen from him as well as his attitude off field. The point I'm trying to get at is, no one is holding him accountable. We preached that we would be driving high performance standards. When he fluffed up against Collingwood last year that should have been it, the last straw. But we've seen the same blunders this year. All we get from the coach is, he's happy with how he's going.

That's why I said don't put it past them to never help him improve. It really would not surprise me to see him stagnate/regress until we make significant changes to our coaching staff. And no, that doesn't mean sack Voss
You want Voss to prioritise his public messaging to supporters, rather than working with H behind closed doors?

You want Voss to prioritise his public messaging to supporters, rather than working with H behind closed doors?

How the hell does the messaging prioritise working with him behind closed doors? You do realise he can be honest about it as well as work on it with him right? These things can happen in parallel...

What's wrong with honesty? Better than dishing out the same bs rhetoric...

Like I said, the Collingwood game last year should have been the last straw. We had a whole preseason to get it through to him about being disciplined and work on a routine set shot... nope, we let him go about his merry way still...

How the hell does the messaging prioritise working with him behind closed doors? You do realise he can be honest about it as well as work on it with him right? These things can happen in parallel...

What's wrong with honesty? Better than dishing out the same bs rhetoric...

Like I said, the Collingwood game last year should have been the last straw. We had a whole preseason to get it through to him about being disciplined and work on a routine set shot... nope, we let him go about his merry way still...
Because you care more about what you are told. Name a coach who says anything negative about the players beyond he's got work to do?

Because you care more about what you are told. Name a coach who says anything negative about the players beyond he's got work to do?

What do you mean I care more about what I'm told? How'd you draw that conclusion? All I can do is hear what the coach has to say and compare it with how the player is performing... H making blunders that cost us a game should have been the impetus to drive higher standards from him... instead it was left untouched and as a result, when the whole team isn't travelling as well these issues stick out like a sore thumb.

You sure you've never heard a coach out his players? Where were you when Ratten was coaching? He called the whole group out for being soft... more than once lol...

Look that's happened so many times over the years... come on BG..

I'm not even calling Voss to come out and bag him, I'd take he's got work to do over I'm happy with how he goes about it, he's such a professional etc.

What do you mean I care more about what I'm told? How'd you draw that conclusion? All I can do is hear what the coach has to say and compare it with how the player is performing... H making blunders that cost us a game should have been the impetus to drive higher standards from him... instead it was left untouched and as a result, when the whole team isn't travelling as well these issues stick out like a sore thumb.

You sure you've never heard a coach out his players? Where were you when Ratten was coaching? He called the whole group out for being soft... more than once lol...

Look that's happened so many times over the years... come on BG..

I'm not even calling Voss to come out and bag him, I'd take he's got work to do over I'm happy with how he goes about it, he's such a professional
You assume it's untouched and that's it's not being worked on because you don't hear it at press conferences? Ratten is so long ago. Any one else?

You assume it's untouched and that's it's not being worked on because you don't hear it at press conferences? Ratten is so long ago. Any one else?

No, I know it's untouched because they had a whole preseason to iron it out... lol come on.. leave it at that BG, you know better by now that I wouldn't draw a ridiculous conclusion like that.

Ratten is actually head coach of a team today. There are plenty others...

Is last week recent enough?

No, I know it's untouched because they had a whole preseason to iron it out... lol come on.. leave it at that BG, you know better by now that I wouldn't draw a ridiculous conclusion like that.

Ratten is actually head coach of a team today. There are plenty others...

Is last week recent enough?
Didn't single anyone out. In fact, went out of his way to spread the criticism. I don't think it serves us well to put more pressure on H, he's loading up on himself.

We'll never know if its untouched, unless we get an ITK spilling the beans.

Didn't single anyone out. In fact, went out of his way to spread the criticism. I don't think it serves us well to put more pressure on H, he's loading up on himself.

We'll never know if its untouched, unless we get an ITK spilling the beans.

Ok, Dimma also singled out Shai Bolton for taunting Doc when he ran into an open goal last year.

We don't need an ITK to spill the beans when the evidence is there on the field.

I agree putting pressure on H won't help. I'm not calling for him to publicly bag the guy... if he does that again, he's going to be dropped for a month or something along those lines..

Voss won't be putting pressure on H by saying we're going to help him keep his focus and develop a set routine... at least show your fans that you've identified it as an issue and what you're going to do about it rather than blowing smoke up everyone's arse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, sorry for the intrusion. Have a really random question...

Does anyone know what boots Charlie Curnow wears? Organising a b'day present for my GF who is a massive Blues/Charlie fan and want to get a pair of boots signed with a personal message - any help would be very much appreciated!

Does anyone know what boots Charlie Curnow wears? Organising a b'day present for my GF who is a massive Blues/Charlie fan and want to get a pair of boots signed with a personal message - any help would be very much appreciated!
4423F03B-0BB1-452A-8A49-A4A3B88E3EB4.jpeg
Maybe this will help

Nah, but these are the ones Harry wears

1685344640712.jpeg

Adidas predator accuracy low in orange (yes...they're actually called accuracy) Saady & Mitch wear them also in the same colour

Commiserations to family and friends of Dallas Keogh-Frankling, a promising young footballer who passed away after an accidental on-field injury sustained this past weekend. A reminder that this is a hard, tough sport we follow.

Dallas was a grand-nephew of Carlton legend, Trevor Keogh.

Because he earned his Coleman with his height, speed, athleticism, marking, and how often we went to him in the absence of any other targets. We got him performing whilst zigging, and now we need him to perform while zagging while getting less of the ball.
That bring said, if he's going at 60-
65% accuracy then we've won more games and everyone is under less pressure.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hollands has been beaten from pillar to post this year as a young kid expected to run all game too. Surprised he didn’t get a couple weeks off to recoup at some point… hopefully not a case where we break him early. Took Murphy a while to mentally recoup after got similarly injured in his first year.
He and Murphy totally different positions and different impact -- I'll admit when Murphy got his shoulder busted it was a brutal blow and he never recovered at all to his same level -- hollands didn't look anything like that ..

Hollands has been beaten from pillar to post this year as a young kid expected to run all game too. Surprised he didn’t get a couple weeks off to recoup at some point… hopefully not a case where we break him early. Took Murphy a while to mentally recoup after got similarly injured in his first year.
Correct. If our player development was any good we would have been working on developing a second position for Hollands which IMO is as clear as day, defence. We could have rested him in the back pocket more. But our player development is amongst the worst in the league and so is our coaching.

Correct. If our player development was any good we would have been working on developing a second position for Hollands which IMO is as clear as day, defence. We could have rested him in the back pocket more. But our player development is amongst the worst in the league and so is our coaching.
Couldn't see Hollands ever playing in a back pocket. His skillset is being able to run all day and run to the right positions. Maybe half back, maybe half forward more than likely on ball in tge future.

Would be a really really long bow to criticise player development for not playing a player completely out of position.

Not putting Hollands in the back pocket at AFL level where he's never played before and completely negates his main strength is your example of poor player development and poor coaching?

Really?

Not putting Hollands in the back pocket at AFL level where he's never played before and completely negates his main strength is your example of poor player development and poor coaching?

Really?
He's got excellent defensive skills and reads the game back there exceptionally well. Learning to play defence and resting back there adds skills and adds a string to his bow.

No different to shifting Kade Simpson to defence. Our focus on developing players in one position and one position only has created a problem.

Couldn't see Hollands ever playing in a back pocket. His skillset is being able to run all day and run to the right positions. Maybe half back, maybe half forward more than likely on ball in tge future.

Would be a really really long bow to criticise player development for not playing a player completely out of position.
When he's drifted back he has demonstrated excellent ability to defend and read the game. Has elite half back written all over him. His defensive skills and smarts are very impressive.

It is not out of position. It is taking a players abilities and expanding on them, something our coach and development team are failing to do. I can see he has it, why can't they.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back