Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Mark Thompson

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone help me out here.

Wouldn't Richo have played a massive part in shaping our list? He'd outline the desired player types and mentality necessary to carry out the brand of football he orchestrates. He was a coaching director coming in and laying down the foundations of a rebuild with a supposedly strong hand in player development.

Is it more so the coaches job than the recruiters job to identify current trends and predicting future trends of AFL football? You'd guess that would be a cohesive discussion with all involved.

Richo seems to have missed the mark as much as Trout in regards to identifying what we need, and potentially delved into a list make-over that he didn't understand (ie let's do what the Hawks are doing). It's one thing picking a spud, it's another picking a spud not suited to where the game is going. Surely that's on both Cho and Trout.

I think this is further demonstrated by not tailoring/tweaking our game plan to suit players that actually have, say, agility and nous relevant to the modern game. Not that there are many, admittedly. But we've seen the Hawks and North turn it around to some degree with supposed dire lists. I think a large degree of that is being flexible and understanding player types and what they can achieve.

And then there are your battlers like Newnes & Savage, who are seen as expendable just like blokes like Ziebel & Houli once were.

The entire place is stale AF to be honest.

I don't now who has shaped our list, it looks just like a random grab bag of players. Richmond and the Pies have obviously gone after pace and spreads of smaller goal kickers. We look like Richo had a good fast ball movement game plan then we went out and recruited all the wrong types since to improve that. We joke about the same types being selected again and again and already we are hearing with our only pick inside 50 Trout is after a tall forward. It's like amateur hour as far as recruiting and drafting.

To me it looks like several people are working without any body driving it. Trout goes and finds dull players that are similar to him when he played and Richo takes the talented ones and makes them into robotic boring types like he was when he played. Our assistant coaches look like they are just hoping no-one notices that they aren't very good and the football department looks like it is has left everything to the individuals. We need a really strong dominant director of footy in the Neil Balme mould.

I don't now who has shaped our list, it looks just like a random grab bag of players. Richmond and the Pies have obviously gone after pace and spreads of smaller goal kickers. We look like Richo had a good fast ball movement game plan then we went out and recruited all the wrong types since to improve that. We joke about the same types being selected again and again and already we are hearing with our only pick inside 50 Trout is after a tall forward. It's like amateur hour as far as recruiting and drafting.

To me it looks like several people are working without any body driving it. Trout goes and finds dull players that are similar to him when he played and Richo takes the talented ones and makes them into robotic boring types like he was when he played. Our assistant coaches look like they are just hoping no-one notices that they aren't very good and the football department looks like it is has left everything to the individuals. We need a really strong dominant director of footy in the Neil Balme mould.
One more time.

What’s this about GT floating Clarko to the saints??:eek:
Lol. GT. Even if not true, he is a great shit stirrer.

If true, sorry Richo, hi_a Clarko, bring over Isaac Smith and get Sloane and Gaff to us while keeping pick 3.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feel sorry for Richo at times.

The team plays like a petulant teenager... enough ability and talent is there but they pick and choose when to put in maximum effort. 'Trying your best' is a minimum requirement. Saturday night was not even close.

We've completely embarrassed the club and our brand in the two 'showcase' Saints games this year being Good Friday and now the Pride Match. To be down in disposals and comprehensively bested in the tackle count at half time against Sydney is a disgrace.

We blame the coach because he's an easy scapegoat. It must be someone's fault and the convenient answer is that it's him.

My gut feel is we've really underestimated the loss of significant leadership. No Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster means no strong leaders in the changerooms and complacency has crept in over preseason and now into the season. In hindsight a one-year deal to a Montagna or Hodge should've been sought.

Regardless, the playing group need to have a good hard look in the mirror. Only they can work their way out of this. Careers are on the line and youngsters will be given a chance. Let's see whose prepared to do the work.

I do not accept that we have no leaders. We have leaders, and strong ones at that. If Roo and Joey were still playing we’d more than likely be on 1 win.
If the effort isn’t there, if the players aren’t “up” then that is the fault of the coach and coaching staff.
We have serious issues in our footy department, and our onfield efforts are a reflection of that.

So maybe the pants man from the AFL SL is the right man

A lot of our boys have had enough. Ghost and I posted a lot of this 12-24 months ago and you blokes hounded us. Well here is someone else’s example. Rooey also wasn’t complimentary...
i think we are giving an inch and you are taking a mile here .... Rooey was pretty open and honest with his thoughts on the current saints team and the coach wasnt the issue during his time ... his frustration and dislike of his final years was the fact the club went the path of a full rebuild basically robbing the guys like himself and Joey the chance to finish off strongly ... but from that you make the most out of the situation you find yourself in so the idea of passing the batton on like the Loewe, Hamill and Harvey did when he was first starting meant he retired content ... i dont think Roeey hated the coach, i think rooey knows Richo was the coach we needed at the time but really not the coach he wanted for the phase he was in

Anyone who wants us to lose this week isnt a true fan.

I must be getting ECO because I don't give a **** any more. Spirit is broken, they can spud it up all they like. I hate losing but I'm at peace with being exposed as a shit team. Beating up on, or losing to the other crippled kid in the school yard isn't going to make us one of the popular crowd anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A top ten, JB? I think that would sorely tempt. Fact is, on current form, we won't get anything near what we'd want for him. I doubt anyone would give us better than 25 or so. He stays, methinks.
If we took 25 for Billings we might as well fold

We got 21 for Stanley FFS.

Anybody with any football knowledge at Sandy on Sunday would have known what Billings is capable of.

Anything less than what I said and the Saints are halfwits.

I do not accept that we have no leaders. We have leaders, and strong ones at that. If Roo and Joey were still playing we’d more than likely be on 1 win.
If the effort isn’t there, if the players aren’t “up” then that is the fault of the coach and coaching staff.
We have serious issues in our footy department, and our onfield efforts are a reflection of that.

We have no leaders on the ground. You can see it if you watch the games. We would be on more wins if roo and joey played imo because they were leaders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched Talking Footy last night and consensus around the table was
1. teams have slumps
2. Richo is a good coach and well regarded within the industry.
3. Time frame too short to make a sacking decision.
4. No one had Saints to make the 8
5. Disconnect between Summers comment top 4 and Finnis statement that we expected not to make 8.
6. Jake Carlisle who appeared on show highlighted nothing re above observations.

Have to say that Richo media performance last week or two has been excellent and many commentators not calling for his head......fellas are we over reacting and looking for a scape goat when there are much more tweeking required to lots of areas at the club and firing coach will not fix them.

The most apparent difference this year to last is the tackling pressure which is purely about player intent and commitment. That is between the ears and map that issue to its source
Leadership
Coaching
Wrong cattle and that's a start.

To me we have been exposed by injuries to better players....something we had a dream run of before and we have also had several in the age bracket that should have improved us drop form considerably at the same time. Somehow expecting a coach to over come that is a bit insane. Clarko was struggling to make the Hawks competitive under the same conditions last year. Their older brigade went down and their kids were exposed and struggled.

Well that wasn't true when you posted it. As per any coach the guys not playing usually don't rate the coach and guys playing usually do unless you are Scott Watters. I spoke to Roo at a funeral less than 2 months ago and he was reasonability complimentary of Richo. Said there were other problems down there.
Plugger. No offence but I will take the opinion of players then yours. Just because it doesn’t suit your narrative to hear that others are now hearing similar notions to what we said doesn’t mean it wasn’t true when we posted it

campaigners Gill’s sock puppet he couldn’t give a rats about on field success only cares about his next promotion **** him off
Said that two years ago and was shouted down.
We have the AFL men in Finnis and Lethlean in place.
Does it mean they are bad? No. On the contrary they stuff up here, they can't move on.
Look at Bains. Scarpered to a CEO job before the shit hit the fan.
None care about the club.
Only the supporters do.

i think we are giving an inch and you are taking a mile here .... Rooey was pretty open and honest with his thoughts on the current saints team and the coach wasnt the issue during his time ... his frustration and dislike of his final years was the fact the club went the path of a full rebuild basically robbing the guys like himself and Joey the chance to finish off strongly ... but from that you make the most out of the situation you find yourself in so the idea of passing the batton on like the Loewe, Hamill and Harvey did when he was first starting meant he retired content ... i dont think Roeey hated the coach, i think rooey knows Richo was the coach we needed at the time but really not the coach he wanted for the phase he was in
Sorry mate but you don’t have to hate the guy to think his coaching isn’t up to scratch. Rooey doesn’t believe there is a game plan out there. Do you think this just developed when he left the club or do you think he already felt that way and now has an audience to explain it too?

Also as supporters many on this board have already observed the same thing. It has nothing to do with hate more so a guy out of his depth. As GT put it. He is a development coach.

Too worried about our image rather than on field IMO

Yup. Piss off “Pride Match” & rebrand it “Blokes Night”

- reserved ticketing for blokes
- full strength beer
- Woodstock bourbon on tap
- smoking allowed throughout
- half time stripper entertainment
- UFC cage in stands

Yup. Piss off “Pride Match” & rebrand it “Blokes Night”

- reserved ticketing for blokes
- full strength beer
- Woodstock bourbon on tap