• Robert Harvey

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Mark Thompson

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
By all reports it seems like Richardson is a good fit, everyone seems to rate him and the work he has done, served an apprenticeship and ready to take the reigns. I also felt the same way with Watters a few years ago and had my heart broken by him in the last few weeks. So I am not going to jump on his bandwagon straight away.

Also, I honestly don't believe that we should look too much into Powers revival. Yes they were bad in 2012 but their youngsters in 2013 are far more ahead than our youngsters will be in 2014. Hinkley, while I do think is a good coach, is no magician and neither is Richardson. They simply came in at the right time to a team that was ready to play good football under a good coach.

Our position is different as we are staring down the barrel of a gun for a few years.The first thing I will note down as a sign of him being a good coach/person is the quality he brings in the clubs in terms of assistant coaches. It doesn't matter about the timing, if other coaches leave their gigs to work under Richardson then I will take that as a positive sign.

If, however, he comes out and says he will keep the current team then I guess I will have to wait until the NAB cup before I start to form an opinion (as I am now weary of the noise coming out of coaches and players during the preseason).

What I really love is that Port ran a 2 ruck, 2 forward, 1 UTL setup.

Lobbe + Redden/ Renouf
Shultz + Butcher/Stewart
Westhoff

We can run

Hickey + Longer/Pierce
Riewoldt + Lee/White/Maister
Stanley

Oohhhhhh yeeeaaah...
No we didn't. In the majority of games we played 1 ruck with Westhoff / Trengove pinch hitting. Our forward line usually consisted of Schulz + Westhoff. Danielle Stewart played 1 AFL match v this season. John Butcher played 8. That's 9 games with 2 KPF's + Westhoff floating. The majority of our board wanted another KPF or resting ruckman in our F50.

P.s. **** you guys :p

What a surprise... I put up evidence for my argument. I get vilified. Gee, didn't see that one coming.

Fine. He's awesome and let's debate whether he'll take us to a flag in 1015, or whether he can get us there a year earlier.
Sorry but I don't think that's evidence at all.. To say he's no good because of ladder positions he's been an ASSISTANT at isn't a strong case.

Will be interesting to see what we do with the assistant team. I'd imagine Richo will want to make his mark by bringing in one of his own people but being so late in the piece, I can't see my people being available. A mid coach (or forward coach with Kingsley to mid) will obviously be appointed. Promotion for McPhee or Hamill perhaps? Or a senior figure like a Harvey, Worsfold (probably dreaming) or even Ayers. Or a recently retired player?

I'm always concerned when people are overlooked SO many times for the top job, especially the club they end up with. Yes Hinkley is same but that's one out of box. There has to be reasons so many over look them. Also fact that apparently 24hrs before he was appointed he didn't want a bar of us then all sudden u thrown money at him and he's keen.

Hope it works out but this really doesn't sit well with me. All seems way too rushed and too many question marks for my liking. Hope the club know what they are doing appointing another inexperienced coach and it doesn't backfire.

Port Ad president Kochie saying on sevens sunrise this morning that they will block him from leaving Port

LOL good old Kochie showing he has no clue how things work in football. Should stick to finances or whatever hell he actually does

Port Ad president Kochie saying on sevens sunrise this morning that they will block him from leaving Port

Kochie time to show a little class. Praise him for all that he has done at Port and wish him well in his coaching career, except when they play Port. Empty threats like this and you start sounding like an intemperate Richmond supporter.

Not concerned that he said he didn't want the job prior to this.. He had a good steady job at Port, he's already interviewed for us before, why would he risk unsettling his current employers and going through a lengthy interview process for a club he had already done it for before and know exactly who he is and what he's about. Have no issues with it, if they want me they can come and get me.

I go back to the point that people seem to be so strong on opinions on assistants when I don't understand how anyone can know. Every job he's been at, he has been poached for. There's a reason he keeps getting jobs and people keep going after him and why he is highly rated. I also think one of the reasons he mite have been overlooked in the past, is because he has been purely development in a lot of his roles. I don't pretend to know who is actually doing a good job as an assistant and who would make a good senior coach. No one other than people working within clubs can possibly know that or be in a position to judge. But I like everything I hear about Richo and he seems extremely level headed and well spoken and really knowledgeable, particularly on a development front. We can only really go by what we hear, and haven't heard anything bad ever? Otherwise we can't pretend to actually know anything about what assistants do or how they work..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For weeks it has been said by numerous Richmond supporters, that with the possible recruitment of Williams as coach, that the Saints are akin to the dingo taking their baby. Consensus was that their entire 2014 would be off the rails, not to mention the behaviour of their resident bad boy Martin, who was rumoured to be starting an Al Qaeda cell, with Williams leaving the club.

With Richardson to be appointed as the Saints coach today and Choco still in place at Richmond, can it be assumed that the Tigers are assured of premiership glory next year?

If contrary to all expectations of a premiership, they were to fail again in 2014, was there another reason, or will they fail, simply because we have disrupted and upset their post season, pre season and then season, by lusting after an assistant coach at their club? If so, Hardwick needs to toughen them up, as this is the club that traditionally spits at their players and coaches, so the sooking over something that didn't transpire, was so un-Tiger like.

For weeks it has been said by numerous Richmond supporters, that with the possible recruitment of Williams as coach, that the Saints are akin to the dingo taking their baby. Consensus was that their entire 2014 would be off the rails, not to mention the behaviour of their resident bad boy Martin, who was rumoured to be starting an Al Qaeda cell, with Williams leaving the club.

With Richardson to be appointed as the Saints coach today and Choco still in place at Richmond, can it be assumed that the Tigers are assured of premiership glory next year?

If contrary to all expectations of a premiership, they were to fail again in 2014, was there another reason, or will they fail, simply because we have disrupted and upset their post season, pre season and then season, by lusting after an assistant coach at their club? If so, Hardwick needs to toughen them up, as this is the club that traditionally spits at their players and coaches, so the sooking over something that didn't transpire, was so un-Tiger like.
I'm sure there are some St Kilda supporters who say and act in a manner which makes you embarrassed to be a St Kilda supporter .
If Richardson is named coach you have got a super coach who will do a amazing job and is a better candidate/ developer than Williams IMO .

Okay, I'll chuck this out, to start. He's not a premiership coach, other than in the Eastern Football League, and as an assistant has not been involved in one, either.

He coached Coburg in the VFL from 2000 to 2001 - no flag.
He was assistant coach at the Doggies in 2003-2005 - the Doggies were TERRIBLE, and Rohde got the sack. He left too, or was pushed out. Then Eade came in, and the Doggies went up.
He then went to Collingwood as a development manager from 2006-2007 - they made 8th and 6th. That's it. He leaves, they move into contention and a flag not long after...

i'll bite.

he was on our coaching panel in 03-05, mainly in a development role. we went from 16th (last, 3 1/2 wins) with to 9th (11W, 11L; half a game out of finals) in these three years. players like cross, murphy, giansiracusa, hargrave, gilbee, hahn were all in their football infancy in '03, but were the back bone of our team in the eade years. cooney, williams and griffen were teenagers who had all matured by our clashes in the prelim years 2008-10. players i've spoken have priased richo's invovlement in their development.

i'm pretty sure you could repeat the story for collingwood based on the dates??

i think your mob could do worse than him.

Why anyone rates potential coaches on the levels they reached as assistants is beyond me. Watters, Neeld, Buckley, Brad Scott, Chris Scott, Sando, Clarkson, etc. all have reached different heights and it doesn't reflect how they have gone or are going as senior coaches now or in the future. There is a multitude of reasons things happen. Clarkson was given security in his job by Hawks, Chris Scott was given a great list to work with, Watters and Neeld may have been great but walked into cesspools!

To look at Richardson and say he doesn't know success may be correct but I highly doubt that you have to come from success to breed it. It's all about how you utilise your experience and skill set and being able to accept such an opportunity when it is right for you. I think Alan is a great candidate but the proof will be in the pudding. His skill set reported in a few articles and his experience across a number of clubs should put him in good stead..

Very happy with picking up Richardson, although I don't know a lot about him I have heard nothing but positive reviews.

I'm just wondering why he has been knocked back so many times to be a senior coach. Including St Kilda only 2 years ago.
We should have taken Richo or Hinkley 2 years ago, but were all sucked in by Malthouse & Wallace and the like about Waters & Neeled being the best on the market. Collingwood had to play us twice to win that flag. And look were Waters & Neeled are now!

For all the issues we all had with Lyon.

The bubble

The negative game plan

The loss of Ball

The betrayal at the end

The simple fact is he had the players believing in themselves and they loved and still love him. The end of the Fremantle game made that clear.

If Richardson can bring that belief back then he is our man. It is that belief that allows players to keep running for four qtrs and which brings members to the club.

Again. And no surprise by who.

Great. Richo's fantastic, and we cannot say anything bad about him. There is no point discussing the flaws, faults or anything negative about anybody involved in the St Kilda Football Club, nor any decision they make.

Start the mantra:

"They are always right. They are always right. They are always right...."

I am going to put this as respectfully as possible...

You may very well turn out to be correct, ok?

However, when you hire a coach, you don't look at where he's been and the team performance as a guide. HAve you ever considered the fact that they would look at his philosophies about game plan, how he handles and motivates players and his general personality?

I am sorry mate, but your reaction isn't cohesive. Look I have no idea if he is any good or not, but I'll leave it up to the pro's to select the coach. In the Dal Santo thread, you commented about how long you've been a fan etc and if I rcall correctly you commented about the time that GT was sacked.

So your reactions strike me as odd because I wonder how you felt when GT was appointed coach. Were you just as critical back then? Given he had no experience and only coached Warrnambool. How did you feel when GT got sacked? Richardson is far better qualified than GT.

How about we just get behind him and give him a go?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you put it out there, then you have to take the good with the bad. Call me a bully or whatever you want, but I always reply with logic on these matters. If that puts noses out of joint, then so be it.

If you take responses personally then I cannot help that. If someone is calling you names then fair enough, but let's not get too precious.

I understand your concerns - like we all have.
I understand you love the club - like we all do.
I disagree with your argument.

Peace! :)

For all the issues we all had with Lyon.

The bubble

The negative game plan

The loss of Ball

The betrayal at the end

The simple fact is he had the players believing in themselves and they loved and still love him. The end of the Fremantle game made that clear.

If Richardson can bring that belief back then he is our man. It is that belief that allows players to keep running for four qtrs and which brings members to the club.

Nicely said. I had the same thoughts on Lyon and GT as well. Couldn't stand him, but he had the players, so I backed him. You can have a great list and a coach who cannot motivate and you go nowhere. You can have a great coach and a bad list and you go nowhere. You get a good list and a good coach and you have half a shot.

I think that's exactly what he's doing, probably trying to get some compensation in coin from the Saints.
We can give you a bag of chips. What's your favourite flavour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back